Sony 46" WEGA 3LCD Lamp Issue (KDF-46E2000) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

Everyone helped me buy this TV that I've been very pleased with - so I'm hoping the community can assist me in some troubleshooting.

Bought the 46" Sony WEGA (KDF-46E2000) in 2006 and today a warning about the Lamp came up on the TV. Looks like the cost of a new lamp is ~$60 and some are saying I can replace the lamp myself.

Is there instructions on the lamp replacement process? Is this step typically recommended prior to purchasing a new TV? For $60 I'd assume it's worth trying?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-26-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
It's very easy to replace the lamp. You just pull on the cover on the back and turn a handle and there is a metal pull-ring to pull it out. Just be careful NOT to touch the glass lens on the new lamp, as any oil from your skin will cause the lamp to crack and fail when it gets hot. Also, the TV must be OFF FOR 30 MINUTES to allow everything to cool before you start.

I had to do my 60" Sony (KDS-60A3000) recently. No problem. This is a normal maintenance procedure for this type of TV (Sony says every 8000 hours or so).

The step-by step instructions are on pages 76-78 in your manual.

If you don't have the manual, you can look at it or download it at

www.docs.sony.com

P.S.- The cooling fan normally runs for 5 minutes or so to cool the lamp down safely every time the set is turned off. If there is a power failure, the lamp life will be shortened by the fact that the fan cuts off immediately. The way to prevent this is to plug your TV into a battery back-up unit like most people have for their computer. This will maintain the AC power and keep the fan running while you shut the set down when a power failure occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeSki2001 View Post

Hello All,

Everyone helped me buy this TV that I've been very pleased with - so I'm hoping the community can assist me in some troubleshooting.

Bought the 46" Sony WEGA (KDF-46E2000) in 2006 and today a warning about the Lamp came up on the TV. Looks like the cost of a new lamp is ~$60 and some are saying I can replace the lamp myself.

Is there instructions on the lamp replacement process? Is this step typically recommended prior to purchasing a new TV? For $60 I'd assume it's worth trying?

post #3 of 10 Old 11-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeSki2001 View Post

Hello All,

$60 sounds like a Chinese knock-off lamp; a genuine Sony, Osram or Philips lamp will last much longer and not cost that much more. 'OEM-equivalent' does not mean OEM.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep that $60 lamp sounds sketchy stick with oem or philips from ebay vendors.

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #5 of 10 Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 AM

Liked: 12
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-XL-2400...item27ab36ca48

I have bought one from this seller before. Came in a phillips box and well packed.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-30-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

I've confirmed (via the product listing on Amazon) that this is a Sony made replacement bulb - seller has good reviews as does the product. It also comes with a 6 month warranty. Advertised as "Brand New Factory Original Lamp".

Since installing it everything was great, but recently the set goes bright/dark in quick succession resulting in a blinking that lasts up to a minute. Once it stops the TV looks great and won't have this blinking problem for almost an hour or so. The issue happens on all channels and with DVDs, etc.

I called Sony and they asked me to reset the TV by unplugging it from the power source for two minutes. Otherwise, they suggested contacting a service technician, but my suspicion is it's the bulb (I don't plan on paying $100 to be told it's a bulb problem).

I tried resetting the TV but the problem hasn't stopped so I've contacted the seller to confirm the manufacturer and to facilitate a replacement/refund so we'll see what happens.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 - 427 View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-XL-2400...item27ab36ca48

I have bought one from this seller before. Came in a phillips box and well packed.

After some chat with the guy I originally bought the bulb from he would not confirm whether it was manufactured by Phillips. Long story short I returned the bulb and he offered a full refund rather then send a replacement (probably because he knew I'd be back once the bulb didn't work).

Anyways, thanks for the link ... I bought one from him this AM. Will let everyone know how it goes.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 PM

I know it has been a year since this thread started. But how is the bulb 1 year later? I need to buy a new bulb and after reading all the bad reviews on ebay and amazon I am a little worried,. but don't want to pay sony $200 for one when I can get one for $80
post #9 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 AM

think so,great info to me, they suggested contacting a service technician, but my suspicion is it's the bulb,thank you1.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 AM

I was just wondering where it was that you got ur replacement bulb at for that price and is it new? Thanx Jason B. bankster23760@gmail.com
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page