JVC HD-ILA Recall (please read if you have had a burned filter on optical block) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently i have have been trying to get my JVC RPTV fixed. I am plagued with the same issue as many of you have reported with the burned polarizing filters.

I came across this recall:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05130.html

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/supp...x.jsp?pageID=1

So i called JVC customer service since my unit is newer (61Z786 AA) but the polarizing filter caught fire and burned up, and Javier, the Customer Service Rep. informed me that JVC has never had a single reported complaint about the polarizing filter on the Light Engines burning or melting. JVC asked me to to send them all reports of the issue i can find.

I know many of you have reported this issue so i was wanting to gather names of everyone that has either replaced a light engine or retired a unit due to a damaged optical block.

Please post here and I will PM you with details on how to join me in re-approaching JVC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

I filed a report with the Consumer Product Safety Commission today. They asked if anyone else who has had an issue with the light engine in any series of the HD-ila rear projections to file a report with them. The seem to think that burning plastic inside of consumer electronics is a bad thing (cough sarcasm cough cough).

CPSC Consumer Hotline: (800) 638-2772

If you click on the above link you can refer to the already established recall for previous models. To be clear this is a new look into failed light engines on all JVC HD-ila rear projections.

and please add your name and experience to this post as well (even if you have already parted with your unit) as any pictures. The more info we can get them the better chance we have of getting any resolution on this
post #3 of 8 Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM

I've actually got DropTheRemote booked for tomorrow to see if my TV is super out of whack (never been cal'ed) and needs a solid cal or has a repair problem. Guess I'll see how all the innards of my TV look tomorrow and perhaps I may have a filter burned up too!

61Z886 myself.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 AM

Mine is also burnt I don't see any Blue...Cyan and maybe others.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Does this include the HD-56FC97?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM

I have a spot forming on a HD-70fh96
Its still watchable, so I've been reading and keeping an eye out for a replacement part.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-01-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Original date of recall was March 2005 and it has to do with a faulty connector.

Thread added to 'repair' sticky at top of forum.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 AM

Liked: 11
I found a HD-70FH97 at the put & take area at my town landfill. It didn't look in bad shape, and it's 1080p, so I brought it home. Got a cheap replacement bulb for it, and it came up with a clear, but dark and pink picture. After some research, I went in. Found the blue polarizer burned. It looks like a pretty easy fix if I could get that part. I certainly don't want to spend $600 for a new light engine on it, especially when the actual problem is a filter that would probably cost $10.

Has anyone had any luck getting the polarizer?

Paul
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page