Have a 7 yr old Sony LCD w/resolution of 720p. How'd it accept 1080p Blu-ray? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-14-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My son has a hand-me-down seven year old Sony LCD that has 720p maximum resolution. He needs a DVD, and I am willing to give him my Panasonic Blu-ray player, which does a nice job of "upconverting" regular DVD's.

OK, question: How would that aforementioned 720p TV handle the 1080p Blu-ray signal going into it? Is it worth it providing the Blu-ray player to it? I guess ut would at least be a good 480o player for it??? Thanks for advice !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-14-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Set your blu ray player to output 720p and they will still look good. What model tv is it?
post #3 of 9 Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Set your blu ray player to output 720p and they will still look good. What model tv is it?

42A10. You know, now that I think of it, was it 720p OR 768p ?

I know that I cannot make a "silk purse out of a sow's ear" but my son needs a replacement "DVD" and hey, my Panny Blu-ray of about three years could be a good one for him I was thinking. I just did not know if its signal would somehow not "translate" to that older Sony A10, 720p or 768p.
So you are saying set the Blu-ray on 720, huh?
post #4 of 9 Old 01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

42A10. You know, now that I think of it, was it 720p OR 768p ?

I know that I cannot make a "silk purse out of a sow's ear" but my son needs a replacement "DVD" and hey, my Panny Blu-ray of about three years could be a good one for him I was thinking. I just did not know if its signal would somehow not "translate" to that older Sony A10, 720p or 768p.
So you are saying set the Blu-ray on 720, huh?

"Verge2" is right, the KDF-E42A10 is a native 720p display. Set the Blu-ray player to output at 720p resolution (1280x720). That will provide the best picture quality possible for this particular TV.

768p stands for four possible PC resolutions: (1024x768 / 1280x768 / 1360x768 / 1366x768). Some LCD HDTVs were in fact manufactured to be capable of displaying either 1280, 1360, or 1366x768 natively. These are not official HDTV standards and I don't know of many Blu-ray players that can output those resolutions.

Don't be concerned about them, the best your old Sony can do is definitely 720p.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks a lot. That makes sense. So I assume that I can utilize Blu-ray discs in there?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks a lot. That makes sense. So I assume that I can utilize Blu-ray discs in there?

Take a deep breath and relax, that same question has been answered twice now. Third time should be the charm: YES

Just set the Blu-ray player to output video at 720p. The player will automatically down scale Blu-ray 1080p (full HD) content to 720p. The movies will be displayed in 720p HD, that's the best that your son's TV can do.

Again, somewhere within your Blu-ray player's menu there will be an option to change the display resolution output.

Make sure to set the Blu-ray player to output 720p beforehand, so that it will then work with the old TV.

P.S. This is a joke thread isn't it? You have waayyy too many posts under your belt to not know the basics.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-15-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

Take a deep breath and relax, that same question has been answered twice now. Third time should be the charm: YES

Just set the Blu-ray player to output video at 720p. The player will automatically down scale Blu-ray 1080p (full HD) content to 720p. The movies will be displayed in 720p HD, that's the best that your son's TV can do.

Again, somewhere within your Blu-ray player's menu there will be an option to change the display resolution output.

Make sure to set the Blu-ray player to output 720p beforehand, so that it will then work with the old TV.

P.S. This is a joke thread isn't it? You have waayyy too many posts under your belt to not know the basics.

Thanks...but I have to admit that I am reeeeeal close to asking the SAME question (a different way) AGAIN, juuuust for YOU !
post #8 of 9 Old 01-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks...but I have to admit that I am reeeeeal close to asking the SAME question (a different way) AGAIN, juuuust for YOU !

You're honestly still confused?

It's OK, go ahead and ask your "same question in a different way"...if you think it will help.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-17-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

You're honestly still confused?

It's OK, go ahead and ask your "same question in a different way"...if you think it will help.

Thanks again, but really...your "B.S. screener" has been off, so TURN THE B.S. meter back ON, please.

I did get it...

Wait a minute...WHICH side of the DVD disc points up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page