New DLP or Keep my plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 02-06-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys i just got a Panasonic tc-p60st30 plasma and the picture is amazing. I used to have a dlp a few years ago but hated the silk screen affect, where i could see the sreen in front of the image! How will the new 2011 diamond series dlp picture compare to my plamsa, and which models have the glossy screen to get rid of the silk screen due to the matte screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 102
RP needs that type of screen to provide the greatest light output. I glossy screens went away with CRT RPTV's I beleive.
Taking the set out of 'torch' mode will reduce the SDE.

I hope you are enjoying the 2x+ increased power consumption of your Plasma.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3 of 47 Old 02-07-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alholman85 View Post

hey guys i just got a Panasonic tc-p60st30 plasma and the picture is amazing. I used to have a dlp a few years ago but hated the silk screen affect, where i could see the sreen in front of the image! How will the new 2011 diamond series dlp picture compare to my plamsa, and which models have the glossy screen to get rid of the silk screen due to the matte screen?

The 840 series in the 82" & 92" (not the 73") sizes have the Clear Contrast screen which is more similar to the Plasma type screen (very glossy as opposed to the matte screen). So the models would be 82840 & 92840. The Laservue A94 also has this same screen if those 2 are a little larger than you wanted but it is a bit pricey as well.

I just got a 82840 myself & am absolutely blown away with the PQ & size for the money. Absolutely worth looking into.
post #4 of 47 Old 02-10-2012, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The OP posted the exact same questions in the plasma Forum, and got a totally different, yet predictable, set of replies.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1392536

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #5 of 47 Old 02-10-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Newbie.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #6 of 47 Old 02-10-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I suggested he ask the question in the RP forum so he could get a good cross-section of facts and opinions. videobruce, you're stooping to the same level as some in the Plasma section with the name-calling.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #7 of 47 Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It must be rubbing off.
Typical problem is new member, posts once, twice, maybe more. Gone. Gets a little old after awhile.

Biggest problem is right in this sub forum. I've answered dozens of one time posters only to find they don't return.
I blame this partly on the default setting for vBulletin software; for no notification for replies to posts. I'm sure most don't even know of the control panle where there are forum options. They don't get notified, they forget about their post. They also probably never bookmark the site either.

post #8 of 47 Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

It must be rubbing off.

Well yeah you might be right. I did refer to JukeBox as Big.Boy. in the OP's other thread.
Quote:

Typical problem is new member, posts once, twice, maybe more. Gone. Gets a little old after awhile.

Nature of the beast.

Quote:

Biggest problem is right in this sub forum. I've answered dozens of one time posters only to find they don't return.
I blame this partly on the default setting for vBulletin software; for no notification for replies to posts. I'm sure most don't even know of the control panle where there are forum options. They don't get notified, they forget about their post. They also probably never bookmark the site either.

IMO its just a matter that people want answers right now, and when they get what they want they move on. Some people know how to express their appreciation, some don't. Courtesy isn't always found on the interwebz ya know?

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #9 of 47 Old 02-10-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

I suggested he ask the question in the RP forum so he could get a good cross-section of facts and opinions. videobruce, you're stooping to the same level as some in the Plasma section with the name-calling.

Ya did good, but he had already posted here first.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #10 of 47 Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM

Liked: 11
Is saying someone sounds exactly like a Best Buy HDTV sales rep considered name-calling?
post #11 of 47 Old 02-13-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

To some here calling an Asian, an Asian is name calling.

post #12 of 47 Old 02-14-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekUGA View Post

Is saying someone sounds exactly like a Best Buy HDTV sales rep considered name-calling?

Not when he is one. If you're talking about Jukebox in the other thread, he lists Best Buy as his occupation in his profile.

post #13 of 47 Old 06-22-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max58 View Post

The 840 series in the 82" & 92" (not the 73") sizes have the Clear Contrast screen which is more similar to the Plasma type screen (very glossy as opposed to the matte screen). So the models would be 82840 & 92840. The Laservue A94 also has this same screen if those 2 are a little larger than you wanted but it is a bit pricey as well.

I just got a 82840 myself & am absolutely blown away with the PQ & size for the money. Absolutely worth looking into.

Hello,

I have the older 82740 which I am about to return because after fiddling around with the settings, I am not content with the picture quality. I am actually happier with my 5 year old Sammy lcd. Considering the clear screen, in your opinion, is there much (if any) of a difference in the brightness, contrast, and "pop" so to speak between the WD-82840 & the Laservue A94? BTW, I also asked this question in the Plasma forums because I believe the more opinions the better.

Thanks!
post #14 of 47 Old 06-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Man there's some serious bias going on in the duplicate thread over in the plasma forum, even some well respected members are saying things like "dlps have horrible viewing angles and "dlps aren't very bright" tongue.gif Where are they getting this stuff ??? I haven't seen this question asked yet so i'll ask it now, why exactly are you looking to trade the plasma? Brightness? Power Draw? Size? The st30 is a great plasma but it is very much limited to a light controlled room, if that's not your situation than a dlp might work better for you. You might wan't to check out this years plasmas from panasonic as well, specifically the st50 as it has great bright room performance. Or the samsung d series (d6500, d7000, d8000 etc) from last year which also handles bright rooms well and you might be able to get them for a steal due to them being last years models. Samsung doesn't seem to be doing very well so far this year in any of their line ups so steer clear of the e series.
post #15 of 47 Old 06-23-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick7 View Post

Hello,

I have the older 82740 which I am about to return because after fiddling around with the settings, I am not content with the picture quality. I am actually happier with my 5 year old Sammy lcd. Considering the clear screen, in your opinion, is there much (if any) of a difference in the brightness, contrast, and "pop" so to speak between the WD-82840 & the Laservue A94? BTW, I also asked this question in the Plasma forums because I believe the more opinions the better.

Thanks!

All TVs, plasma, DLP and LCD included, will have pop if set up properly. That's why people pay to have their sets calibrated.. The word "pop" properly refers to a certain 3D-ness to the 2D picture. When grayscale is set correctly, foreground images "pop" from the background. Unfortunately, some people think that the overly bright and unnaturally saturated picture from an improperly set up LCD is "pop" (other TVs appear to look "washed out" in comparison). Some people prefer that, and that is fine, but once you get used to the realness of a properly set up picture you begin to understand and really appreciate the difference.

A month ago, I did a quick grayscale calibration of my friend's WD-73840 (normal screen), and the pop was excellent. I did it at night while he was sleeping, and my friend noticed the difference immediately the next morning and commented on how "lifelike" and "real" the picture is now.

As to your question, yes, a DLP with the Clear Contrast screen can produce a higher contrast, brighter picture than the 740 series. Just remember that there is such a thing as too bright, and the contrast control should usually be set between halfway and three-quarters of the maximum.

post #16 of 47 Old 06-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Ive always thought "pop" is related to contrast. If you have a display that can't go very deep into blacks and is dim vs a display that cuts deep into the blacks as well as getting bright enough and both are calibrated the second one will have more pop.
I think Panasonic is pretty much the top dog for blacks and their bright room performance for 2012 is fantastic.
Not much tech that can do better right now for ANSI contrast or "pop" except probably the laservue and select lcds.
post #17 of 47 Old 06-25-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

Ive always thought "pop" is related to contrast. If you have a display that can't go very deep into blacks and is dim vs a display that cuts deep into the blacks as well as getting bright enough and both are calibrated the second one will have more pop.
I think Panasonic is pretty much the top dog for blacks and their bright room performance for 2012 is fantastic.
Not much tech that can do better right now for ANSI contrast or "pop" except probably the laservue and select lcds.

"PoP" ( your definition may vary) is great for about 10 sec and then whats left ( image or viewing fatigue)? As in all things a Zenith or Crescendo are initial in between or at the end which leaves you with the nuance or what I like to call Fidelity you know shadow detail, accurate color's, smooth pans and picture depth. Dlp's have fantastic full contrast to black ratio's because of the nature of the tech. I find what I really like about most comments is that that the other display's "Are more realistic"eek.gif Maybe for all else( not sure what) but for movies and yes regular HD tv viewing I find the image on my Mitsu 73738 at times aressting its sharp, vivid, great viewing angles lights on or off:rolleyes:
I have installed the others and own Lcd and would choose Dlp, no its not perfect but works for me until, for as it stated on the box "Home Cinema Dlp"biggrin.gif
post #18 of 47 Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

You don't get viewer fatigue if your contrast is set correctly (ie not blinding) you don't hear kuro owners saying "oh i love the pop but it burns my eyes" all they say is the image has great depth, it really pops. Let's not shove dlp where it doesn't belong, it is a projection technology and while it may have pretty good on off contrast, it is achieved with an iris which means it won't achieve the static contrast of a plasma like the kuro or panasonics modern plasmas (laservue might be an exception) Dlp is about as good as it's going to get for ansi contrast where as a multitude of things can be implemented as seen in a kuro to improve the static contrast by lowering black level. Ironically lcds are actually great at holding their black level when their is alot of light in a scene which is probably what lead alot of people to believe they have great "pop" even though it is only applicable on the showroom floor. Don't think i'm bashing dlp's here as i would definetly choose a dlp over the average lcd for completely different reasons than "pop" biggrin.gif
post #19 of 47 Old 06-25-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

You don't get viewer fatigue if your contrast is set correctly (ie not blinding) you don't hear kuro owners saying "oh i love the pop but it burns my eyes" all they say is the image has great depth, it really pops. Let's not shove dlp where it doesn't belong, it is a projection technology and while it may have pretty good on off contrast, it is achieved with an iris which means it won't achieve the static contrast of a plasma like the kuro or panasonics modern plasmas (laservue might be an exception) Dlp is about as good as it's going to get for ansi contrast where as a multitude of things can be implemented as seen in a kuro to improve the static contrast by lowering black level. Ironically lcds are actually great at holding their black level when their is alot of light in a scene which is probably what lead alot of people to believe they have great "pop" even though it is only applicable on the showroom floor. Don't think i'm bashing dlp's here as i would definetly choose a dlp over the average lcd for completely different reasons than "pop" biggrin.gif

I dont think your bashing at all! But what you described as "pop" is exactly what I call pop and find that that Dlp delivers in spades plus size( it does matter)biggrin.gif My last set was a Pioneer Elite 64" rptv ( sheds tear) before going dlp I just couldn't go with plasma or led or lcd for my main display to many other distractions, sure they do some things well and the "Kuro " may have been a choice had they still been around, but in the end the 73738 has exceeded my expectations and has given me a new level of respect for the tech, I for one find the ability to replace the bulb and go inside and clean the mirror a plus, its Awe all over again just like new:eek:
post #20 of 47 Old 06-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

I'm rockin a hitachi crt rear pro right now biggrin.gif I got it for free and had no idea of the work involved, it was fun though. I went through lcds and plasmas and finally settled on the free rear pro, even though the static contrast isn't what i was hoping, it does to many things well for me to ditch it. It's great that dlp's have pop, but I believe projection tech can only get so good with static contrast and i prefer ridiculously deep blacks over every other aspect with overall contrast as a close second. When i see a 50" plasma at 800$ that can give a kuro close competition in the blacks i prefer it over a 2000$ massive dlp. It goes to show that value is on both sides of the coin as dlp's right now would cost pretty much the same to make in smaller sizes where as plasmas dominate the 42"-60" segment as a great value.
post #21 of 47 Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

All TVs, plasma, DLP and LCD included, will have pop if set up properly. That's why people pay to have their sets calibrated.. The word "pop" properly refers to a certain 3D-ness to the 2D picture. When grayscale is set correctly, foreground images "pop" from the background. Unfortunately, some people think that the overly bright and unnaturally saturated picture from an improperly set up LCD is "pop" (other TVs appear to look "washed out" in comparison). Some people prefer that, and that is fine, but once you get used to the realness of a properly set up picture you begin to understand and really appreciate the difference.
A month ago, I did a quick grayscale calibration of my friend's WD-73840 (normal screen), and the pop was excellent. I did it at night while he was sleeping, and my friend noticed the difference immediately the next morning and commented on how "lifelike" and "real" the picture is now.
As to your question, yes, a DLP with the Clear Contrast screen can produce a higher contrast, brighter picture than the 740 series. Just remember that there is such a thing as too bright, and the contrast control should usually be set between halfway and three-quarters of the maximum.

The look/color that we're trying to achieve is the more glossy nail polish red (or any color for that matter), as opposed to the more lifelike/realistic color. Hence why we are avoiding the calibration as I understand that will be the result of said calibration. Am I wrong here? Also, I replied in the other thread as well, but I'll ask again in case anyone wants to throw their two cents in; Is there much, or any difference in that shinier/glossier/brighter color that we're looking for between the 82840 and the Laservue?
post #22 of 47 Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:

I'm very interested as to why you would say that? Simply from a tech point of view, or from the actual picture that it produces?
post #23 of 47 Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Whoah biggrin.gif Can you make that blue font any bigger for me, i can't quite make it out tongue.gif My understanding of the laservue is it produces a more focused light beam inside the tv due to the use of lasers. If you can put light where you want it and stop it from hitting areas it shouldn't more effectively than a lamp then you can produce a higher static contrast ratio.
Nothing wrong with wanting more vivid colors if you check out the review of the laservue over on hometheater.com the reviewer comments on just how vivid the colors can get.
post #24 of 47 Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:

Whoah biggrin.gif Can you make that blue font any bigger for me, i can't quite make it out tongue.gif My understanding of the laservue is it produces a more focused light beam inside the tv due to the use of lasers. If you can put light where you want it and stop it from hitting areas it shouldn't more effectively than a lamp then you can produce a higher static contrast ratio.
Nothing wrong with wanting more vivid colors if you check out the review of the laservue over on hometheater.com the reviewer comments on just how vivid the colors can get.

Thanks, I'll do that.

How was that? biggrin.gif

BTW, I just checked & no reviews are listed over there. The only places I've been able to find reviews are from the buyers at Amazon and other online retailers.
post #25 of 47 Old 06-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

It's getting clearer but still a little fuzzy biggrin.gif
Yeah I don't know how I got this site mixed up with hometheater.com
http://hdguru.com/mitsubishi-laservue-l65-a90-first-tech-review-hd-guru-exclusive/310/
Not sure how reputable they are and it's a review of an older model laservue, a good read none the less smile.gif
post #26 of 47 Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:

It's getting clearer but still a little fuzzy biggrin.gif
Yeah I don't know how I got this site mixed up with hometheater.com
http://hdguru.com/mitsubishi-laservue-l65-a90-first-tech-review-hd-guru-exclusive/310/
Not sure how reputable they are and it's a review of an older model laservue, a good read none the less smile.gif

Your right. A good read none the less. Thanks! wink.gif
post #27 of 47 Old 06-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah it doesn't sound like you would get much better for saturation than that. I like high saturation for certian games myself, some games just aren't meant to look realistic, the same could be said for animated stuff.
post #28 of 47 Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM

Why do you want images to look fake, plasticky, glossy, oversaturated...instead of natural and realistic? Never have understood the appeal in that. With that desire I don't think DLP was a good choice.
post #29 of 47 Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

The look/color that we're trying to achieve is the more glossy nail polish red (or any color for that matter), as opposed to the more lifelike/realistic color. Hence why we are avoiding the calibration as I understand that will be the result of said calibration. Am I wrong here? Also, I replied in the other thread as well, but I'll ask again in case anyone wants to throw their two cents in; Is there much, or any difference in that shinier/glossier/brighter color that we're looking for between the 82840 and the Laservue?

Hey, if that's what you want... any TV will do, just crank up the dials.

post #30 of 47 Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

I think the idea of the laservue is to get that vivid without looking like complete neon crap. Any lcd with the dials cranked will look horrible where as the laservue actually has the range to maintain it. EDIT: Sorry, Most lcds, I keep forgetting that there are some nice lcds out there tongue.gif
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page