Need Help, Sony KDS-55A3000. Lens Adjustment. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone!

I would just like to thank the community for providing such a great resource on projection tvs, its been a great help. I've scoured these forums for awhile now and haven't had any luck finding a solution to my problem, so here's hoping this post will end my misery.

The Problem: My friend gave me this tv which wasnt working at the time, but a new lamp was a quick fix. However before giving it to me he decided to try and fix it on his own. He removed the screen, and the lens ! The lens was in two parts an outer lens and inner section. Both of these were very dirty with smudges and residue. I cleaned both with a lens cleaner and replaced them hoping it didnt damage the picture quaility. Unfortunately the picture is very much out of focus, and dull looking. Now my question---

Questions: How do I adjust the lens properly? I noticed tic marks with lettering marked A+/- B+/- C+/- along the edge of the top most lens, but I have no clue how to use it. Is there a point where the inner lens needs to line up with the outer? How far in do I twist the whole piece back into the optic block?

Thoughts: I have attempted to use my naked eye to focus it in but i still feel like its lacking. I'm just hoping some kind soul has a idiot proof method of focusing it in without a costly service call. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tldr: Lens out of focus, need to adjust it properly how do I do it aside from eyballing it? (the lens has been pulled apart into two)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This is going to be a tedious trial and error ordeal. The best reference to use would be a sourced 1:1 pixel matched 1920x1080 test image. It will help you to achieve perfect focus. Here's an example:

http://protie.sweb.cz/checkerboard_1920_1080.gif

Your average TV repair tech would be just as lost as you, don't waste your time and money with a service call.

Unfortunately neither of the two light engine repair services available will even touch A3000 optical blocks (although most of the other SXRD models are supported).

Have the screen easily removable. Make very subtle changes to the lenses until you "get a feel" for it. Document the results for each tic mark movement.

The idea will be to bring the lower smaller lens into proper focal alignment with the light tunnel, then use the larger lens to focus the image correctly onto the massive projection mirror.

Good luck as this will be a major PITA.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony Bravia 55 Inch Sxrd Kds 55a3000 Rear Projection Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page