Samsung TV class action - capacitor settlement notice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

A proposed Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit involving certain Samsung televisions. In cooperation with the District Court of Oklahoma County, Samsung Electronics America, Inc. is offering a settlement for certain Samsung-branded televisions manufactured prior to December 31, 2008. You may be entitled to receive the benefits of this proposed Class Action Settlement if you purchased, acquired or otherwise owned any of the following Samsung-branded televisions, and the television is experiencing or has experienced the "Covered TV Symptom(s)" as described in the proposed Settlement. The class action lawsuit alleges a defect that may cause the television to experience symptoms such as not turning on, experiencing a delay in turning on, making a clicking sound, cycling on and off, or other similar problems. Samsung denies the allegations in the lawsuit, but has agreed to settle the lawsuit to avoid the costs and uncertainty of continued litigation.

Model Number Serial Numbers
LCD TV ----- LN-T******/XAA; LN**A******XZA; LNS4041DX/XAA; LNS4051DX/XAA; LNS4052DX/XAA; LNS5296DX/XAA

Plasma TV ----- HPT5034X/XAA; HPT5044X/XAA; HPT5054X/XAA; HPT5064X/XAA; PN42A410C1DXZA; PN42A450P1DXZA; PN50A410C1DXZA; PN50A450P1DXZA; PN50A460S4DXZA

DLP TV ----- HLT5087SAX/XAA; HLT5087SX/XAA; HLT5089SAX/XAA; HLT5089SX/XAA; HLT5687SAX/XAA; HLT5687SX/XAA; HLT5689SAX/XAA; HLT5689SX/XAA; HLT6187SAX/XAA; HLT6187SX/XAA; HLT6189SAX/XAA; HLT6189SX/XAA

This class action lawsuit (the "Lawsuit") alleges a defect that may cause the Televisions to experience symptoms such as not turning on, experiencing a significant delay in turning on, making a clicking sound, cycling on and off, or other similar problems (the "Covered TV Symptom(s)").

If you have experienced a Covered TV Symptom(s), or if you experience a Covered TV Symptom(s) within eighteen months after March 2, 2012, the Settlement of this Lawsuit provides for Samsung Electronics America, Inc, ("SEA"), to offer you one or more of the following benefits, as applicable (please note that the following is only a summary of the benefits offered under this Settlement and that you must review the entire Notice to determine the conditions under which those benefits become available):
  1. a free service visit for qualifying Television (see section entitled "How Do I Qualify For A Free Evaluation" below) to determine if your Television has a problem covered by the Settlement and, if it does, to fix the problem (the "Settlement Warranty"); or
  2. the refund of expenses you incurred, prior to March 2, 2012, to evaluate or diagnose the problem covered by the Settlement; or
  3. the refund of expenses you incurred, prior to March 2, 2012, to fix the problem covered by the Settlement; or
  4. a $300 fully transferable debit card if you reported to SEA, prior to March 2, 2012, the problem covered by the Settlement, but did not get it fixed, and you now no longer possess your Television.
  5. a payment of $50 if, after March 2, 2012, you require more than one repair to fix the problem covered by the Settlement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 02:33 PM

OK I have a Samsung 40-inch LCD LNT4061FX with ALL these symptoms, but it looks like it is not covered. What's the deal?
post #3 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjohnson View Post

OK I have a Samsung 40-inch LCD LNT4061FX with ALL these symptoms, but it looks like it is not covered. What's the deal?

Are you sure? Look at the first LCD model mentioned. "LN-T******/XAA". Isn't that yours? You may want to contact them.
post #4 of 29 Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 AM

The problem with this settlement, is that every termite is now going to come out of the rotten wood that does not have an issue with capacitors/power supply, expecting the TV to get repaired for free as a result.
I can promise you that wont happen regardless of what lawsuit you file.
So, if you have other issues like a broken/cracked display panel that doesn't qualify per the settlement and attempt to use the settlement in an effort to try and get it replaced, don't waste your time, it won't work.
post #5 of 29 Old 06-08-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anyone get any other models fixed under this settlement? My HL-T4675s has symptoms of this issue (burning bulbs, 15 minutes to start up).

1080p, where marketing genius and science fiction collide!
post #6 of 29 Old 07-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon_Monoxide View Post

The problem with this settlement, is that every termite is now going to come out of the rotten wood that does not have an issue with capacitors/power supply, expecting the TV to get repaired for free as a result.

So, if you have other issues like a broken/cracked display panel that doesn't qualify per the settlement and attempt to use the settlement in an effort to try and get it replaced, don't waste your time, it won't work.

Or in my case, I have all of the symptoms, and the tech confirmed it was the capacitors, but Samsung no longer offers the parts to repair the TV. Instead I'm offered an "exchange".... An exchange where I have to pay additional fees of course...
(sigh)

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

post #7 of 29 Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy49 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon_Monoxide View Post

Or in my case, I have all of the symptoms, and the tech confirmed it was the capacitors, but Samsung no longer offers the parts to repair the TV. Instead I'm offered an "exchange".... An exchange where I have to pay additional fees of course...
(sigh)

One can buy capacitors anywhere. Instead of replacing the board, insist they replace the bad capacitors that are on the board.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #8 of 29 Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One can buy capacitors anywhere. Instead of replacing the board, insist they replace the bad capacitors that are on the board.

Yeah, the repair place said they could do that, it would still cost $275 to repair it, and they couldn't offer any kind of warranty on the work since it is not to Samsung specs.

At this point, I am just so unbelievably pissed off at Samsung, and how they are treating their customers... Here is what I have found out since my last post...

They want to replace my TV with a UN60EH6000FXZA ($2099 MSRP, $1499 Street Price), for $750.

I asked if I could get a lower model and pay less money, or any other options. I was told flat out that my only options were this exchange at that price, or call the settlement line and go through them.

So, I called the settlement line to see what I qualified for. *I* read the settlement (the actual 80 page court document, not the stuff on Samsung's website). Here are the important highlights....

If you filed a complaint/had the TV repaired before March 2, 2012, you were eligble for up to $650 in compensation.
You had 90 days to file a complaint (from March 2, 2012) to be eligble for up to $450 in compensation.
After 90 days (June 2, 2012), you *ONLY* qualify to have the TV repaired. That is it, no monetary compensation of any kind. No reimbursement of repair fees, Samsung has to pay the service center directly.

Samsung no longer makes the parts needed to repair the TV, therefore, the ONLY option available via the settlement, is no longer an option, and I am FORCED into the BS exchange deal where they makes it seem like they are doing me a HUGE favor.

I know that the reality of the situation is that a number cruncher said, "Hey, if we sell them TVs at half our normal markup, and call it an "out of warranty fee", we save $XXX by not paying these repair fees, and we actually make money off of them instead." Which is just SO wrong on so many levels!

I'm trying to track down the lawyer who handled the initial suit, and I'm going to see if they are interested in a follow-up suit.

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

post #9 of 29 Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry you're having so much trouble. I can see why Samsung got out of the DLP business.

I had a problem in my 57" Mitsubishi TV, and it was a full year out of warranty. Mitsubishi replaced the TV with a brand new 65" model, a Diamond version, top of their line. Four years later, and the picture is still like brand new. I know this, because I calibrated it recently. Unlike some other manufacturers, Mits seems to stand behind their product. Here's a post from someone else who was out of warranty:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstrategist View Post

Well in the interest of this thread I will provide an update on my white dot issue.

Mits called yesterday to inform me that the local tech had received the light engine Mits sent a few days ago (excellent communication). The Mits guy said the tech company would be out between 8-noon today.

The tech showed up at 10am and took all of 20 minutes to install the new light engine. All I had to do was sign and smile.

The 65833 looks great tonight and I am more than pleased with the Mits response and resolution to a problem on a 4 year old out of warranty DLP.

Thanks guys for the guidance.

So if you give up on Samsung, don't give up on DLP.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #10 of 29 Old 07-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most definitely done with Samsung. It's funny, when I got that Samsung, I ALMOST got a Mits. The Mits was edging out the Samsung, then I just happened to get in a power buy on the Samsung to push it over the top.

I found the power board for sale from an online retailer, so I can replace that myself. We are going to sell the TV and then put the money towards something else. The wife and I are going shopping tonight, and the Mits DLP were already at the top of my list to check out! smile.gif Wonder if I could talk her into a 92" biggrin.gif

Sean Hull

post #11 of 29 Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy49 View Post

Quote:

Most definitely done with Samsung. It's funny, when I got that Samsung, I ALMOST got a Mits. The Mits was edging out the Samsung, then I just happened to get in a power buy on the Samsung to push it over the top.

I found the power board for sale from an online retailer, so I can replace that myself. We are going to sell the TV and then put the money towards something else. The wife and I are going shopping tonight, and the Mits DLP were already at the top of my list to check out! smile.gif Wonder if I could talk her into a 92" biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

post #12 of 29 Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 AM

I have had the on/off cyling problem since the TV was new, a tech is coming out in a couple days to fix it free!
I called the class action lawsuit 1-800 number, and they are sending a tech out. The tech called and said they are coming in a couple days, we sheduled date and time immediately afte rmy first call.
Even if you can solder in new capacitors, you probably do not know the exact ones to replace without more information. Also, sometimes capacitors are not marked like the ones you buy in a store, so you cannot see the values.
And, you defnitely don't want the wrong ones.

update: I see eBay has some capacior kits they are selling for a good price to fix these issues. Caps only,, they have good pictures of the PSU boards with the caps.

IMHO

LN-T4665FX

smile.gif

what can you put here?
post #13 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 AM

So here's an interesting question. I bought the extended warranty from Best Buy. They came out early this year to repair the TV for turning off by itself. Am I eligible for reimbursement of my warranty cost? Probably not huh? .... Since the warranty was purchased protectively instead of the cost being incurred at the time as a result of a covered defect.
post #14 of 29 Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Return the TV to the seller. Most sellers have a 30 day return policy. Your TV is not "rear projection". Stop posting in every forum.
post #15 of 29 Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Liked: 13

I am writing this post because although there is a lot of speculation and help on the internet, along with a lot of complaining about those who are providing service, I rarely see someone who is working with the manufacturer step in and explain things.  The opinions and processes and pricing expressed here are not necessarily those of Samsung Electronics of America.  This should give you an accurate reflection of what happens on the "other side" of warranty repairs like this capacitor settlement.

We are a Samsung authorized repair center in Washington State.  Samsung pays us Labor and sometimes Mileage to go to customer's homes and repair their TV under warranty.  In our shop Samsung pays us more than we charge End-Users for a similar repair because we do what we can to help customer's in unfortunate situations.  Our financial interest to some extent is to see Samsung cover a repair.  We want to help you more than anything.  As for the capacitor issue.  We have done a ton of these (probably at least 3 or 4 a week since 2010 and sometimes as many as 10 a week).

I feel bad for Dizzy because as far as I can tell I HAVE NEVER run into a cap issue TV that I have not been able to get the board or that doesn't have a repair specification for it.

These generally fall into five categories.  No matter the category we have to stick to the bulletin posted in this thread religiously or we do not get paid by Samsung.

1. The TV is listed in the bulletin and is manufactured before 12/31/2008.  These are all covered.  There have been a couple small stints where Samsung has "stopped" covering cap issues for a month or so due to expiration of the voluntary recall.  However, they have continually repealed these expiration dates and as of today are covering them at least until Jan 2014 (as I understand it).  The previous capacitor settlement bulletin stated an expiration of Sep 2013.

2. The TV was from a model line introduced in 2008 but the TV was actually manufactured in 2009 (usually March, 2009).  These TV's actually have the same parts, model numbers and same issues.  However, these TVs will not be covered by Samsung as the Lawsuit states anything before 12/31/2008.  We have seen only a few of these (approximately 4 or 5).  Sometimes customers call in and are able to get these covered because a call center rep doesn't realize that it is outside of the lawsuit or sometimes they can get a manager's approval.  However for the last 2 years they have been pretty strict about this.  Our customer's that fall into this category get a $100/Labor bill, Mileage (if over 25 miles away) and we charge them between $3 and $10 per capacitor.  Usually they get out of their for $120.

3. The TV fits the capacitor issue in every way but the issue is not related to the power board.  Just a quick note on this.  We have never ever ever been called out for a second capacitor recurrence in 4 years.  The couple the that we have had call back (I think 2 people), have turned out to have a Main Board that was causing the power supply's safety circuit to trip or a Side Jack board that got zapped through the HDMI port (seen a few surges travel through HDMI).  Either way, if we come out due to a phone triage that sounds like a capacitor issue and we find that it is not a capacitor issue, we will replace your power board anyway if it has not been done (as the capacitor problem is probably in your future) and then quote you for us to replace the PCB Main.

4. The TV was repaired before the issue was fully understood.  Sometimes we go out on a repair and find that a guy named "my friend" (who gives us a lot of business) or even another repair center has already repaired the board.  What we find on these was that the previous tech only replaced the caps that were visibly damaged.  However, now days Samsung has produced full documentation on the problem and trained its Service Centers to completely repair each board.  A good service center knows each and every problem capacitor in each and every problem TV Samsung produced.  There are always at least 4 capacitors to replace and in some cases up to 11 capacitors that need to be replaced.  Only a Samsung Authorized Service Center has access to these bulletins and training material.  There are some boards in which they tell us we are not allowed to repair but we are instead supposed to do a swap on.  Again, I have never had Samsung not stock these boards.  Sometimes they are on back-order but Samsung clears about 90% of their back-orders within a week, so you won't wait long.

5. The TV is definitely have a power issue but their are not visibly damage capacitors at all.  Samsung will cover ANYTHING power board related (except physical/user damage) on this recall.  If the caps are damaged then there should be at least one visibly bulged cap but this is not always the case.  Some caps "blow" out the bottom or vent on a seal.  Some boards have other issues not related to the capacitors.  However, rather than leave it up to one guy in the field with limited equipment to determine, we are told that first we try caps and then we replace the entire board.  Either of these two repairs are covered under the settlement.  We are however not allowed to simply replace every board (they will ding us for that) and we have to justify board replacements.

When we get a call or a ticket from Samsung our first step is to prepare for a successful first time service event.  We call the customer and interview them.  For a cap issue model number, we will ask questions like "Does your TV have trouble turning on?", "Does the TV click and click like it is trying to start up a number of times before actually turning on?" and "Has the issue gotten worse and worse?".  We get answers like "Yes and now it doesn't turn on at all, it just clicks." then we are 99% sure it is capacitor issue.

We pre-repair boards.  We have a stack which includes almost every capacitor board in our shop.  One stack is dead and one is repaired.  We would rather send out our techs to do a board swap in the home then have them light up a soldering station on someone's couch or coffee table.  Plus the skill-set for board soldering is not something all of our employees have, but I can easily have any tech go do a board swap.  For these reasons we have a couple guys on our staff that sit down every few days and repair all the boards that we have.  It usually takes just a few hours for a handful of boards but it makes our trip to a customer's house clean and quick.  It also means that whether it was the caps or the whole board, we have fixed it quick and painless (no solder first and replacing a board second).  We then would figure out if the board was bad back at the shop and charge Samsung for the correct parts (capacitors or boards).

We are authorized for a number of Manufacturers but I can tell you right now that Samsung is serious about helping their customers.  They have the best products overall.  When you buy a TV from Samsung you are paying extra for 3 things.  Cutting edge technology, best picture quality, and great service after the sale.

That being said Samsung also is the strictest when it comes to the rules (because of their scale).  On the customer's end this means they may not "bend the rules" to cover something that shouldn't be covered.  On our end this means that we finish 90% of our repairs in 7 days.  That we have nearly no customer complaints.  That we have high quality of service scores.  We meet these expectations or we get ax'd or yelled at or any number of unpleasant things.  Samsung pushes its service centers to be the best on a constant basis.  If we have not contacted a customer within 2 days of receiving the ticket, they call and remind us.  They also call every few days for ticket updates if we are falling behind (we call these guys the ticket police).  We compare this to other manufacturers we work for and they just send us a ticket and then give us no support when the part is unavailable.  I had one popular Department Store Brand that literally gave our shop and the customer the run-around on a part for 3 months after sending us the ticket.  This is not the exception with this company it happens more often than not.

There is a difference between Manufacturers and Assemblers.  There are only a few TV manufacturers in the world.  Samsung, Panasonic, LG are among them.  There are hundreds of Assemblers on the market today.  Sanyo, Visio, Westinghouse, etc are all assemblers.  The difference is that when you open an Samsung TV will find Samsung parts or at least parts from a Samsung subsidiary.  When you open an LG or Panasonic TV, it is the same thing.  Samsung, LG and Panasonic all sell their parts (usually old run parts) to companies like Sanyo, Visio, Westinghouse, Element, etc.  Assemblers make a chasis and logo and custom firmware and then put it on the market.  There is generally nothing wrong with Assemblers but you can tell the difference in build quality on the inside.  For some reason the inside of a 2012 Samsung TV or an LG TV is like a Cadillac and the inside of a 2012 Sanyo TV is like the back of a dark box van.  Assemblers don't innovate, they copy.  If they copy something good then they make a great TV.  However, if they copy something bad not so much.  This is why many people will say that they love their Visio but industry-wide it is seen as being about 50% good 50% bad.  They have had good TVs and bad TVs mostly because of the parts they decided to group together into a TV and not because of bad engineering.

Last thing I want to say before I end this book is that this isn't your parent's TV.  Old tube TVs had a shelf life of 20 to 30 years.  I here constantly from people who say, "My old 37 Inch Tube TV (CRT) lasted for 20 years what's wrong with this TV."  First these are different times and different technologies.  We are trading the CRT for LCD/LED or Plasma.  The benefits are a larger TV in a smaller space with MUCH better picture quality.  The trade-off is that we are using a technology that is largely unproven and young.  No one has owned a plasma for 20 years because they weren't invented.  The difference in technology is like comparing the mileage of bicycle to that of a car.  They are different technologies that give us different benefits.  For the old timers out there, they may even remember a time when CRTs needed regular "Tube" maintenance.  The point is that it is more likely than not that you WILL have problems with your LCD or Plasma TV within 5 years.  Do you want to wait 3 months for the repair or 7 days?  I am also not a fan of Extended Warranties.  I think it is easy to poke $1200 aside and if your TV goes out in 3 to 5 years then use the money for repair or replacement.  If not then use the money somewhere else after your warranty would have expired.  That being said, because you almost definitely WILL have problems in the next 3 to 5 years and because the cost of 1 service event is $200 to $400, there is a good chance that the $300 to $600 warranty plan you buy at Best Buy will end up paying for itself in some way.  We have seen a ton of people who got a line in their screen on a $1200 TV and they paid $300 for a warranty and the warranty paid for the $900 repair or paid them to go buy a new TV.  TVs and computers do seem to have a higher rate of failure and that makes extended Warranties more value to the customer.  Like I said though it is a matter of hassle and gambling as you can also produce an "extended warranty fund" for all of the items in your home and run repairs out of that and not gamble at all.

Hope this help clarify things for people.  Feel free to email me john (at) hamiltoncompanyllc.com if you need help or parts or want us to schedule service for you.  We love helping people.

Thanks,

John Hamilton

Hamilton & Company, LLC

post #16 of 29 Old 12-04-2013, 05:41 PM

We have a Samsung TV that has a faulty capacitor and the TV went out today what is our next step with this process. We was told something about a tech would contact us and when will that be. They told us to go to this web site. We are in Indianapolis Indiana.

post #17 of 29 Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 PM

Samsung ASCs are supposed to contact a customer and have any extra parts needed ordered within 2 business days of your call to samsung. If you are anxious then call back to 1-800-SAMSUNG and ask them for the service center number (if you don't already have it). Now is a busy time of year and most ASCs are just getting to things as fast as they can. Before an ASC calls to make initial contact they usually review the ticket and service bulletins/documentation and get an idea of what parts they may need for the first trip. They may also have to turn in approval requests to samsung. In our shop though when a customer initiates contact, we are suddeningly presented with an opportunity to perform all the ticket prep, triage, parts ordering and scheduling before you get off the phone. It effectively puts you on top of the new ticket pile. Most ASCs are carrying the parts needed for capacitor repairs in stock so you may find that, if you call the ASC will have you finished in the next few days.

Some of this changes when you are working with an NSP (National Service Provider) like USSI instead of an ASC because they have to find a tech in you area to run the call as well as all of the rest of the stuff above plus their techs usually don't stock any parts. However NSPs usually initiate contact within an hour or two of you calling Samsung.

So to recap, call the ASC, it can only help move things along. If you need any help beyond that feel free to email me (adress in above post) and I will try to help in whatever way I can, Your email will need your Samsung ticket or transaction number and good phone contact info.

Thanks,
John Hamilton
post #18 of 29 Old 01-14-2014, 02:31 PM

For anyone who find this thread, we just received the following message from Samsung Electronics regarding Cap Issue Repairs and White Dot Repairs (not covered in this thread).

"As you are aware, Samsung has been covering selected repairs of LCD/DLP/PDP capacitor repairs and selected DLP white-dot repairs under warranty.  Please be advised that effective February 3, 2014, we will no longer be covering these repairs under warranty."

It then goes on to tell us (as service centers) to treat all of these repairs as out of warranty and bill them at our regular shop rates if the repair is assigned to us after Feb 2nd.

So just a notice and heads up to anyone wondering about the Samsung "Capacitor Issue" or "White Dots Issue".  If you are researching this after this date then Samsung will not be providing accommodations any longer.

I will be posting this as a separate thread as well.

Thanks,

John Hamilton

Hamilton & Company, LLC

http://www.hamiltoncompanyllc.com

post #19 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 01:01 PM

To John, in particular, This is a helpful thread.

I have just suffered the clicking, repowering, degrading power issue on my Samsung TV, contacted Samsung, and had a technician arrive to replace the capacitors.

He did not do the repair, as the ticket said he would, and as he reported back to Samsung that he did.

He did not replace the power supply board as the ticket said he should, if the capacitor repair failed.

He did manage to leave me a quote to replace the other board.

Now Samsung says that I am left with only out-of-warranty options, because their technician came and addressed the problem.

I have contacted you, John, outside this thread to see if you have any insight into my options, but am posting here to be grateful in public for your comments above.

If anyone else has insights into this mess, I would/will be grateful for them as well.

post #20 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCapacitor View Post

To John, in particular, This is a helpful thread.

I have just suffered the clicking, repowering, degrading power issue on my Samsung TV, contacted Samsung, and had a technician arrive to replace the capacitors.

He did not do the repair, as the ticket said he would, and as he reported back to Samsung that he did.
He did not replace the power supply board as the ticket said he should, if the capacitor repair failed.
He did manage to leave me a quote to replace the other board.

Now Samsung says that I am left with only out-of-warranty options, because their technician came and addressed the problem.

I have contacted you, John, outside this thread to see if you have any insight into my options, but am posting here to be grateful in public for your comments above.

If anyone else has insights into this mess, I would/will be grateful for them as well.

I have almost the exact same issue but Samsung hasn't contacted me at the higher level yet. Repair guy came, took a working TV with minor cap issues to an un-working TV that won't turn on. Repair shop even said it is my word against theirs.
post #21 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 PM

My Samsung LCD TV won't come on.  No clicking, or cycling on and off.  Tried to check the Samsung website to verify my set was in the capacitor settlement.  They have taken down the webpage.  I guess as John eluded to the time is running out (Feb 2nd) to submit a claim.  Lucky mine went out today.  I guess.  Went to Samsung's website registered my TV and had an opportunity to use their "Chat to a tech" feature.  Very helpful.  Let me know my model LN40A630M1FXZA is one of the sets covered.  Purchased mine December 2008 just before the cut off time.  He arranged for an authorized repairman to give me a call.

I will keep you all posted on my experience.

post #22 of 29 Old 01-26-2014, 02:28 AM

Ctcap and CLG_TXT, these are abnormal cases.  I would welcome the chance to help you guys out of  warranty on these.  

Ctcap, we have seen many of these that have ended up being bad main boards.  Our company always does caps first (via swapping a board with a previously repaired board from our shop).  If that doesn't work we order a brand new main board and power board and then bring them both to site.  The customer is aware that if it is the main board and they accept the repair, they will be charged.  We complete the repair and show the tv to the customer working.   This gives us a high likelihood the customer will proceed with the repair regardless of the extra expense.    Either way we complete the power board swap to MAKE SURE they will not need it in the future (as almost every LCD from 2006 to 2008 does).  When we anticipate that it may not be cap related (second cap repair, description not matching, or a long distance drive), we bring a main board with us, we complete the cap repair regardless as a preventative measure and then we charge the customer for only the part as Samsung has already paid the labor. 

If Ctcap can't get the ASC to prove that the main board is the problem and that the power board is working fine, then I can help you do the repair for as cheap as you can.  I do not necessarily remember our contact but if you contact me again we can work out the details and make your tv work again.  If it is the power supply you will have a much better time showing that to Samsung. 

CLC_TXT, if an ASC came out and did the work and now your TV is in worse shape, this is a serious problem that Samsung does not take lightly.  Between your word and his, Samsung usually requires the ASC to make you happy or explain why they can't.   Our shop has been an ASC for a while and I think I have had 3 formal complaints (all of them justified and all of them we made 100% right).  In all cases our Samsung rep has contacted us directly and stated (somewhat kirtly) can you explain this.  We ARE REQUIRED to please our customers.   If you need help send a complaint to the correct people regarding an ASC's performance please contact me.

As for thanks or please feel free to find us on Yelp (if you are into that) or other business rating sites.  Search for Hamilton & Company in Pasco Washington.  If we aren't on a site, add us or contact me and I will get us added.

Thanks,

John Hamilton

Hamilton & Company
post #23 of 29 Old 01-26-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonCompany View Post

Ctcap and CLG_TXT, these are abnormal cases.  I would welcome the chance to help you guys out of  warranty on these.  

Ctcap, we have seen many of these that have ended up being bad main boards.  Our company always does caps first (via swapping a board with a previously repaired board from our shop).  If that doesn't work we order a brand new main board and power board and then bring them both to site.  The customer is aware that if it is the main board and they accept the repair, they will be charged.  We complete the repair and show the tv to the customer working.   This gives us a high likelihood the customer will proceed with the repair regardless of the extra expense.    Either way we complete the power board swap to MAKE SURE they will not need it in the future (as almost every LCD from 2006 to 2008 does).  When we anticipate that it may not be cap related (second cap repair, description not matching, or a long distance drive), we bring a main board with us, we complete the cap repair regardless as a preventative measure and then we charge the customer for only the part as Samsung has already paid the labor. 

If Ctcap can't get the ASC to prove that the main board is the problem and that the power board is working fine, then I can help you do the repair for as cheap as you can.  I do not necessarily remember our contact but if you contact me again we can work out the details and make your tv work again.  If it is the power supply you will have a much better time showing that to Samsung. 

CLC_TXT, if an ASC came out and did the work and now your TV is in worse shape, this is a serious problem that Samsung does not take lightly.  Between your word and his, Samsung usually requires the ASC to make you happy or explain why they can't.   Our shop has been an ASC for a while and I think I have had 3 formal complaints (all of them justified and all of them we made 100% right).  In all cases our Samsung rep has contacted us directly and stated (somewhat kirtly) can you explain this.  We ARE REQUIRED to please our customers.   If you need help send a complaint to the correct people regarding an ASC's performance please contact me.

As for thanks or please feel free to find us on Yelp (if you are into that) or other business rating sites.  Search for Hamilton & Company in Pasco Washington.  If we aren't on a site, add us or contact me and I will get us added.

Thanks,

John Hamilton

Hamilton & Company

John,

I'll PM you with some details as I don't want to get into all of it in the thread. I'm giving Samsung the 2 business days to get back with me, but I'm done with that repair center after their management said it would be my word against theirs. A google search also revealed that they have done this sort of thing before, so it makes me think that they are either totally incompetent or crocked and trying to turn a warranty repair into more cash for them. Either way, it isn't good for either the end customer (me) or Samsung.
post #24 of 29 Old 01-26-2014, 11:07 AM

John,

It sounds like TX and I have the same problem with Samsung techs.

I emailed you at the support address on your website, once just now and once yesterday.

If that is the wrong address, pls private message me here.

Thanks

post #25 of 29 Old 02-13-2014, 06:31 PM

I have an LNS3251D and I just found out that the capacitors are bad, causing power on issues. Now I see that Samsung is no longer covering warranty repairs as of this month frown.gif Just my luck!

Is it worth a phone call to Samsung to see if they will make an exception?

How is the public supposed to find out about Capacitor Settlements and such? I moved, but it's been more than a year and my mail no longer gets forwarded. Of course my product registration would not help in this case. On top of that, this set has a bad AU Optronics T315XW02 V.O Panel that has dark blotches all over it which is apparently a known issue from what I have found via Google.

I know the set is old, but I paid over $1000 for this TV.
post #26 of 29 Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 PM

Liked: 11
So I have been reading all these threads, and I realize that according to John, Samsung is no longer covering the capacitor problem. Is there any chance they will extend again?? Why didn't they recall all these models? They knew it would happen sooner or later! I think those of us that are stuck should see about getting another class action started. Any others out there feeling the same way?
bill875 likes this.
post #27 of 29 Old 02-17-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCapacitor View Post

John,

It sounds like TX and I have the same problem with Samsung techs.
I emailed you at the support address on your website, once just now and once yesterday.
If that is the wrong address, pls private message me here.

Thanks

Got mine fixed finally. They sent out a two man team. Turned out the first tech didn't plug something back in. Still really frustrated with the response I had from Samsung, the shady shop, and also the huge scratch on the glass top stand they did when sliding the TV. They also did something odd in the service menu so switching inputs takes much longer and goes to a blue screen temporarily.
post #28 of 29 Old 03-16-2014, 09:48 AM

I have an LN40A550P3FXZA (manufactured April 2008) that started taking forever to turn on about 3 days ago.

After researching the issue, I decided to call today to see if they would still help. Short answer - no.

They will cover parts and pass the issue to a third-party service company, who is supposed to call me in 1 or 2 business days.

UPDATE: I decided not to accept the standard customer service decision...so I started contacting folks higher up in the Samsung food chain. I finally found one who agreed to cover the repair fully. The service tech just left and the TV works fine again. Two caps had swollen tops, but he just swapped the entire power board and said that he'd fix that one on his own time for the next board swap.

I have several other Samsungs, including an older LN46A650 that has not failed yet but probably will since it was made around the same time. I may just do the job myself next time. Replacing the caps looks pretty straightforward.
post #29 of 29 Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 AM

I have a Samsung LN52A750

Called samsung to get the repair... got a short answer... NO.

Planning to write to consumer affairs as well as Samsung executive office.

These suckers need to be made to pay... I paid $2K for my TV in Aug 2009.
The TV was manufactured in March 2009.

They say the TV has to be manufactured before Dec 31, 2008.

How is that my problem.... it is experiencing the same issue that everyone else TV faced.

I was planning to buy 2 more TVs as I am finishing my basement and seriously had planned to go Samsung again....
NOT ANYMORE.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page