AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgross88 View Post

Gentlemen,
I am happy to report that I have downloaded and installed the new firmware. While I had very mild symptoms of the reported issues, I did have them. It would appear they have ALL been fixed with this update. Many thanks to this forum for the hard work in getting Mits attention to the problems.

I do have one question...how did Mitsubishi fix a problem they would never acknowledge they had????? Things that make you go.."hhhhmmmmmmm"

:-)

Following the diligent work with contact and information of others here (notably Howl) Mitsubishi *did* acknowledge the defect but was ambiguous as to when/if it would be addressed.

I will await more confirmation and testing of this new firmware but early reports indicate a fix.

I really want to thank all the dedicated individuals who tested and were persistent with their communications with Mitsubishi.

I also want to give credit where credit is due: Mitsubishi corrected a defect noticed by a (comparably) small subset of their customers. If a few enthusiasts were upset with Mitsubishi I don't think that would have significantly affected their bottom line.
But they did address the issue, and with a relatively quick response time.... to fix a problem that the majority of their customers would never have complained about.

I work in software, and for a company like Mitsubishi a worldwide release to address a bug in a matter of under two months is very commendable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 140 Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The color mixing bug/adjacent color bug seems to be gone on my 92840. Teeth look much, much better but not perfect. Still seeing some false braces. I was running a small amount of sharpening. I will turn that off and see if helps with the teeth. I also got the impression that my calibration changed slightly. That part is no big deal, I can and will do another full calibration. This firmware update is a very big deal and things looked good with the small amount of viewing I had time for. My availability is worse if that is possible.

Actually this bug fix -firmware rev is the first good news I have had in awhile. I though my Mom's health was consuming me before but she fell last Thursday AM and broke her pelvis. I had to put her in a nursing home today and hopefully that I can get back on her feet in a few weeks and then home. I have been at the hospital pretty much non-stop for a week now..

Just another blank signature.
post #63 of 140 Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just downloaded and installed the firmware, happy to report that any issues I had with previous material that I could see before were gone.

Kudos to Mitsubishi for correcting this issue relatively quickly.
post #64 of 140 Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

The color mixing bug/adjacent color bug seems to be gone on my 92840. Teeth look much, much better but not perfect. Still seeing some false braces. I was running a small amount of sharpening. I will turn that off and see if helps with the teeth. I also got the impression that my calibration changed slightly. That part is no big deal, I can and will do another full calibration. This firmware update is a very big deal and things looked good with the small amount of viewing I had time for. My availability is worse if that is possible.

Actually this bug fix -firmware rev is the first good news I have had in awhile. I though my Mom's health was consuming me before but she fell last Thursday AM and broke her pelvis. I had to put her in a nursing home today and hopefully that I can get back on her feet in a few weeks and then home. I have been at the hospital pretty much non-stop for a week now..

gtgray: I hope your mom recuperates quickly. We'll keep her in our prayers.

I always look forward to your posts since you are very knowledgeable with dlp technology.
post #65 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 View Post

Kudos to Mitsubishi for correcting this issue relatively quickly.

No, give that to THHOWL. Mits either wasn't aware or wasn't going to fix the issue you guys had without his persistance and others here. Hell I think the poor guy almost got banned from the forums. I am not being a jerk, just saying give your KUDOS to the guy that did mostly all this leg work.

Cool Beans.
post #66 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Liked: 11
So you guys gave them a workaround and they used that to provide a fix....or should I say bandaid.
mighty impressive of mitsu.
post #67 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

So you guys gave them a workaround and they used that to provide a fix....or should I say bandaid.
mighty impressive of mitsu.

Very very impressive.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #68 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

As Mick Jagger said in the "The Girl with Far Away Eyes" .... I promptly ran 20 red lights in his honor" That is I will do it for THowl not Mits....

post #69 of 140 Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 AM

After trying to get the new FW 13.06 to install automatically, I relented and downloaded it and followed the instructions carefully to update my 82740 to the new FW. All went well.

Before I installed the firmware, I had put the tv on ESPN and carefully noted the red/white problem. Once the FW was installed and the tv was switched back on it was immediately clear that the problem was gone!

Thanks to thhowl and others for noting this problem and obviously being instrumental in getting Mits to resolve it.
post #70 of 140 Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 PM

I just came back from a business trip, figured I wouldn't see anything new on here, but yet here it is. What great news! Huzzah for THowl, and everyone else that helped, and huzah for Mits for taking the problem seriously and providing a fix. Of course, I would still love to know exactly how they fixed it and where the problem lay exactly... After all that research into the issue, it is almost like a bad ending to a movie where they cut to black and expect you to fill in the blanks... Oh well, will go and install the update tonight, excited to be able to use a computer in the brighter and more vivid non-3D mode without having every piece of text distorted... Very excited.

Congrats all, especially you howl.
post #71 of 140 Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 PM

Whelp, there goes my excitement... Got home, performed a manual firmware update, got the message saying everything updated properly plus unplug your TV. Shut off the TV and unplugged it for 1 minute as suggested in their instructions. Plugged it back in, the TV started to boot (green flashing status LED) and.... *POP!* ... then the logo came up... green... then the TV finished booting up, everything was displaying fine, except for the fact that everything was tinted completely green, like the red channel just disappeared.

Worried, I shut the tv down, waited for cooldown and then unplugged it for another minute, plugged it back in and behold! Nothing... the green status LED just flashes repeatedly, forever...

Needless to say, I called Mitsubishi, they are sending a service tech out on Thursday with a new mainboard. hurray for failure! Oh wait, that other word...
post #72 of 140 Old 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTaco View Post

Whelp, there goes my excitement... Got home, performed a manual firmware update, got the message saying everything updated properly plus unplug your TV. Shut off the TV and unplugged it for 1 minute as suggested in their instructions. Plugged it back in, the TV started to boot (green flashing status LED) and.... *POP!* ... then the logo came up... green... then the TV finished booting up, everything was displaying fine, except for the fact that everything was tinted completely green, like the red channel just disappeared.

Worried, I shut the tv down, waited for cooldown and then unplugged it for another minute, plugged it back in and behold! Nothing... the green status LED just flashes repeatedly, forever...

Needless to say, I called Mitsubishi, they are sending a service tech out on Thursday with a new mainboard. hurray for failure! Oh wait, that other word...

Well, at least now its a simple main board swap.
post #73 of 140 Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a total corrupted screen after the update... The color space was wrong and the text on the screen was missing 50 percent of the pixels. I rebooted my video processor and all was okay. Gave me a cold shiver down my back.

post #74 of 140 Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:

I'm sure Mitsubishi already had you do this, but you did hold the power button down to force a reset, right? Not like it will hurt giving it a try.
post #75 of 140 Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 PM

Liked: 15
I would also try reformatting the USB, download the firmware update again and try flash the firmware again in case the download file was corrupted. I work on copiers and sometimes we have funky issues like that when upgrading machines and reloading the firmware from scratch like that fixes it.
post #76 of 140 Old 03-24-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there anyone besides me who is still seeing a thin black line that runs near the edge of the crown of peoples teeth?

It runs from corner to corner, sometimes on the top teeth sometimes the bottom.

post #77 of 140 Old 03-24-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Is there anyone besides me who is still seeing a thin black line that runs near the edge of the crown of peoples teeth?

It runs from corner to corner, sometimes on the top teeth sometimes the bottom.

I haven't noticed it... maybe you could post some pics? Are you seeing it on HDTV (cable, ota, etc), DVD's, or via BD's?
post #78 of 140 Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 View Post

I would also try reformatting the USB, download the firmware update again and try flash the firmware again in case the download file was corrupted. I work on copiers and sometimes we have funky issues like that when upgrading machines and reloading the firmware from scratch like that fixes it.

Yea i already tried this, as well as performing a full reset, i work on computers for a living, so it was the first thing that came to mind... but alas...
post #79 of 140 Old 03-24-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 View Post

I haven't noticed it... maybe you could post some pics? Are you seeing it on HDTV (cable, ota, etc), DVD's, or via BD's?

HD, SD, Cable, OTA all the same. Normally I would watch a lot of news and interivews stuff. All is going through the DVDO DUO at native rez, deinterlaced there and then upscaled to 1080P. I use the CMS in the DUO to calibrate.

The false braces could be a totally seperate bug. My 82837 did not do it. You really notice with big full face head shots.. I haven't had time to even look at Blu-Ray or DVD. Teeth are worlds better after the firmware update though... this is niggling in comparions. If I could get my mom stable I could be home for some investigation.

As mentioned time is beyond short. Trying to find some time to get some rest, do some grocery shopping etc. then each day I am back to the nursing home, so no pictures soon.

If Mom is not better tomorrow I think they will put her back in hospital, we are day 9 since the fall and pelvic fracture and I have seen nothing good on that front.

post #80 of 140 Old 03-24-2012, 08:08 PM

Best wishes to you and your family in these times gtgray.

Cool Beans.
post #81 of 140 Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 AM

Service tech came today to replace the main board. TV all better now... Whilst he was there I asked him to perform the manual firmware update with me, he agreed, and altering exactly 0 steps from when I performed the update myself the first time (in which the outcome was broken TV), this time the update completely perfectly. There was surprising less *POP!* noise when we rebooted after the update compared to when I performed the update this first time. There was also far less "broken" than when I first performed the update, which is always a good thing when dealing with... well... anything.

So, white on red blurring is completely gone, what a relief. I had to get back to work (I went to let the tech in on my lunch break) so I didn't get a chance to really take a good look, look at it with the computer, etc. But as soon as I get home I will, and I am pretty psyched about it too... I must say, it has been painful not having the TV for the last 5 days, you don't realize how much you like something till it is gone... Forced to do my program observation via a measly and sufficiently ancient 47" LCD display, my eyes straining to see even the largest of words. Legs compressed in a pitiful attempt to "sprawl" out on the largely inferior and aptly named "upstairs couch." The horror... the horror!
post #82 of 140 Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Service tech came today to replace the main board. TV all better now... Whilst he was there I asked him to perform the manual firmware update with me, he agreed, and altering exactly 0 steps from when I performed the update myself the first time (in which the outcome was broken TV), this time the update completely perfectly. There was surprising less *POP!* noise when we rebooted after the update compared to when I performed the update this first time. There was also far less "broken" than when I first performed the update, which is always a good thing when dealing with... well... anything.

So, white on red blurring is completely gone, what a relief. I had to get back to work (I went to let the tech in on my lunch break) so I didn't get a chance to really take a good look, look at it with the computer, etc. But as soon as I get home I will, and I am pretty psyched about it too... I must say, it has been painful not having the TV for the last 5 days, you don't realize how much you like something till it is gone... Forced to do my program observation via a measly and sufficiently ancient 47" LCD display, my eyes straining to see even the largest of words. Legs compressed in a pitiful attempt to "sprawl" out on the largely inferior and aptly named "upstairs couch." The horror... the horror!

someone in another thread had a very similar problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Healey View Post

I downloaded the new upgrade 13.6 last night.

I had already accomplished the 13.4 and 13.5 without any hitches.

Following the instructions, it updated to 13.6 and displayed a PURPLE startup screen instead of the normal BLUE.

TV then came on to cable and everything was in PURPLE tones, then screen went blank and the green power light started flashing.

Called MITS and after troubleshooting they scheduled a main power board replacement.

Coincidence - maybe, suspicious - yes.

I'll report back when the new main board is installed next week.
Edit: Mits has scheduled board replacement for 3/28/2012

Meanwhile I've got a 22" Vizio in front of my 73" Mits to hold me over LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Healey View Post

Well, the main board didn't arrive from MITS on time so the repair company rescheduled for today 3/30/2012.

The replacement only took about 15 minutes and the TV popped back on but everything was still PURPLE.
Repair guy called MITS and got the codes to restore the light engine and geometry from the backup. After the restore everything was back to normal.

The version on the new board was 13.05 so he updated it to 13.06 and so far everything is perfect.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #83 of 140 Old 03-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

someone in another thread had a very similar problem.

Yup, exact same problem, except more green and less purple... I mean, right down to the part about of to reset the geometry and light engine in the service menu (except my guy new what to do immediately without calling for help haha, at the same time he couldn't remember the codes to do it so I did it for him lol)

Not sure if it was a corrupted update file, or just some main boards didn't like it... Either way, all fixed and updated now so I am not worried about it anymore.
post #84 of 140 Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 AM

I've tried numerous times to flash 13.06 firmware and it won't work. I was able to successfully flash 13.04 several months ago when it was released. I'm following the instructions in there exact order. I've also tried formatting my usb stick several times and have re-downloaded the firmware several times as well.

The first time I flashed the procedure actually went exactly as stated in the instructions and I got the message that the update was successful. Upon turning the TV on again when I go to the menu it says the firmware is still 13.04.

On all subsequent attempts when I plug the TV in with the USB stick in the port I get the flashing green light for about a minute and then the green light goes out and nothing happens. After another 4 minutes I hear a click (like how it sounds when it goes on) but it doesn't go on. If I unplug and plug back in (after waiting 15 seconds) the exact same series of events happens.

If I remove the USB stick and then plug back in the TV turns on as normal but is stuck on the 13.04 firmware.

EDIT: The update finally took but when the TV turned back on showing 13.06 firmware on the menu, instead of a blue background when the Mitsubishi logo displayed the background was green. The picture also then had a totally green tint to it. I turned it off and then on again and experienced the same result.

So then I held the power button down for 10 seconds on the front panel to to reset it, and the green light stayed blinking for 10 minutes and failed to turned on. I've unplugged, waiting a minute and plugged back in multiple times and just get the blinking green light. If I plug back in with the USB drive in the slot to try to re flash I also get just the blinking green light.

Can anyone give me some advice?
post #85 of 140 Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 68
See the two posts above yours.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #86 of 140 Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

See the two posts above yours.

Thanks for pointing that out. Don actually replied to my post about this on the owner's thread. So at this point:

Unfortunately I can't get past the blinking green light. I jumped the gun by holding down the power button while having the greenish screen. Wish I could have restored the engine data when it was still turning on. Oh well...that's what my fall back Samsung 40" LCD is for - its sooooo small!!! I did actually call Mitsubishi yesterday and an advisor should be calling me today. I'm under warranty so hopefully they can get a tech out her this week to replace whatever component failed which sounds like its most likely the motherboard. I'll post my results here.
post #87 of 140 Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post

Thanks for pointing that out. Don actually replied to my post about this on the owner's thread. So at this point:

Unfortunately I can't get past the blinking green light. I jumped the gun by holding down the power button while having the greenish screen. Wish I could have restored the engine data when it was still turning on. Oh well...that's what my fall back Samsung 40" LCD is for - its sooooo small!!! I did actually call Mitsubishi yesterday and an advisor should be calling me today. I'm under warranty so hopefully they can get a tech out her this week to replace whatever component failed which sounds like its most likely the motherboard. I'll post my results here.

Yup was about to say the same thing, the green was just the engine data needing to be restored. Unfortunately, the flashing green light means a main-board replacement. They were pretty quick about it for me, only took about 5 days for the part to be shipped from California to Rhode Island, and for the service tech to come out and put it in. Make sure you ask them to perform the update while they are there, the new main-board will most likely be on 13.03.
post #88 of 140 Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 AM

I own a wd-82840. For some reason my tv wont upgrade to 13.06. I've tried to download the firmware using the network connection in the back of the tv as well as the USB slot.
The light blinks green on the front of the tv but the tv never powers on or resets. Any advice?
post #89 of 140 Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 PM

I wouldn't update it if you don't see any problems with it currently. Seems issues are starting to rise with 13.06 in the 73640 thread. I haven't been back long enough to get Mits to come out and fix my 73640 since the 13.06 update. Mine was on 13.04 had no problems. Updated, got a motion blur like stutter and what looks like a spindle pushing out from center of the screen when looking off center.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. This is really true here.

Cool Beans.
post #90 of 140 Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucezx11 View Post

I own a wd-82840. For some reason my tv wont upgrade to 13.06. I've tried to download the firmware using the network connection in the back of the tv as well as the USB slot.
The light blinks green on the front of the tv but the tv never powers on or resets. Any advice?

This post shows a method that may help you get the update via the network connection method.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page