So I just brought home a Sony KDS-55A2000 and... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I notice this odd banding of colour at the top of the screen:

I'm not really that pissed, I did see it at the store but thought it was part of the promo bluray they had showing on it.

It's only noticeable with lighter backgrounds, and like I say I'm not that mad. I paid $200 for the TV all in, and most 16:9 content will have the crop bars at top and bottom.

My question is this: what would cause this? This happens regardless of the source input, or the content being played.

My first instinct is that this is related in some way to the colour wheel, or perhaps the sign of the bulb beginning to fail before the unit senses the bulb needs replacing.

All in all, I'm quite content with it as it is for the price paid. Beats the hell out of my 40" Bravia LCD, simply because it fills out the entertainment centre a lot better.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

The model of the TV is a KDS-55E2000, not sure if that makes much of a difference.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgoon View Post

The model of the TV is a KDS-55E2000, not sure if that makes much of a difference.

You probably mean KDF-55E2000. Huge difference. No color wheel, this is not a DLP, it's a 3-LCD rear projection. I suspect the problem is that the light engine is going as happens to most of these. There's a whole website put together by one of our posters dedicated to the problem: http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcd...v-opticalblock

A picture of the tv showing a white screen would be more informative, but it's likely the LCD panel in the blue path or the blue input polarizing filter.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-14-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Right sorry, KDF-55E2000 and yes it is one of the 3-LCD rear projectors. Thanks for the link, I'll do some reading up later, btw here is a picture of the TV screen showing a white background:

Cheers
post #5 of 5 Old 04-14-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

So I briefly read that site, and while informative of the actual problem it doesn't really offer remedy for my particular situation. Is a new rebuilt light engine available for purchase, and if so is it an easy replacement?

I'm an IT tech by trade and work on sensitive electronic equipment all the time, as well I had a Samsung DLP back in the day which required a new power ballast and bulb, admittedly those are two very easy fixes.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony Kds 55a2000 Kds55a2000 Lamp With Housing Xl5200
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page