RCA P46733AT Issues....some kind advice plz... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay,

I have an RCA P46733AT CRT REAR Projection T.V., made in 1996, I know, 16 years old.....

......cosmetically it's in great shape. It still works but I have 2 issues I'm seeing and I'm not sure where to start. Now, I know that a professional calibration will do wonders and I am pondering that...because I have to consider budget.

Issue #1: Focus goes in and out slightly but enough for me to notice it doesn't stay consistent.

Issue #2: I've noticed 3 faint vertical lines on the screen....like they correspond to the 3 guns in back. They are almost transparent but I can seem them in lighter scenes and they seem to curve like a snake.

Since I don't have an actual repair manual and I have very little knowledge of these things I'd like to pick everyone's brains. I knew I was eventually going to have to join a forum if I was going to keep this TV, which I'd like to.

The only thing I have done so far is clean the gun lenses and mirror. I've also used the blue/red convergence settings the on screen menu offers.

What issues might I be looking at and where might I start to rectify them?

Thanks in advance.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Should I be testing the HV Splitter with this issue?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I was doing a little work with the focus block today...these are instructions I found online...

Quote:

1. Turn the green screen control on the Focus Block until retrace lines appear and gradually turn it back
until the point where you can see the retrace line disappears, just before cutoff.
2. Turn the red screen control on the Focus Block until retrace lines appear and gradually turn it back
until the point where you can see the retrace line disappears, just before cutoff.
3. Turn the blue screen control on the Focus Block until retrace lines appear and gradually turn it back
4. If the screen still appears too bright after proper G-2 adjustment, please adjust the sub-bright
control down until screen cut-off. (Service data Range is usually 21 to 25 in the Service menu,
category "MCP2", adjustment item 01 "SBRT").
Screen Controls
For the focus, put on the screen a clear picture of your choice thru an input of the TV set from a DVD, then pause the playback of the DVD
Look into each color and rock that color focus control back and forth (turn the control one way then the other way slowing down as the picture goes into the best focus. till the picture looks sharp do each color till they all look in focus. NOTE : it is best to look into each color tube to achieve the best optical focus.

My guns, from left to right, are blue, green, red. I noticed that the "blue" focus button seems to slip where the other two are tight.

Should I replace the focus block?
post #4 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Would anyone at least help me with the part numbers for the Convergence IC's and the associated Pico fuses for this set. I've found through reading that this is going to be the place I should start when it comes to my issues.

Thank you kindly.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrell69 View Post

Would anyone at least help me with the part numbers for the Convergence IC's and the associated Pico fuses for this set. I've found through reading that this is going to be the place I should start when it comes to my issues.

Thank you kindly.

This is an old set and likely no one recognizes what the thread is about from the title. Try a repost in Mr. Bob's "Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV" thread, here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=355
post #6 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

This is an old set and likely no one recognizes what the thread is about from the title. Try a repost in Mr. Bob's "Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV" thread, here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=355

Mr. Bob has been the only assistance I've been lucky enough to receive here. I do check the thread you mention just in case I need to have or know other info....thanks for the heads up to keep it on my mind while going through my own research.

Cheers
post #7 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrell69 View Post

Okay, I was doing a little work with the focus block today...these are instructions I found online...

My guns, from left to right, are blue, green, red. I noticed that the "blue" focus button seems to slip where the other two are tight.

Should I replace the focus block?

No, not if it's functioning correctly, and it sounds like it is, aside from that slippage you mention. What's that, what's going on there?

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #8 of 9 Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Here is some interesting I found to share with others who may own a TV like this...

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/rcatune.htm
post #9 of 9 Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Wow, that's quite a rundown. Would that all models of these sets had such info for them!

I could only briefly peruse it. Did it say anything about that slippage?

If by slippage you mean that it does not actually turn the correct stuff in there and thus does not affect your brightness and allow you to dial it into correctness, then of course it does need to be replaced. Then set up properly too.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page