Mitsu 65" C9 starting to look Fuzzy/Grainy. Ideas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have had my DLP for about 2.5 years now and really don't use it much other than weekends for games and the occasional movie.

Recently I started playing a Hockey Game with my friend and noticed grainyness or some kind of fuzzyness all over the screen which was easy to spot against the White Ice from the game. I thought it was the game until I watched a movie. You can't see it with darker colors but in lighter scenes it is apparent.

Any suggestions? Might there be a smudge on the lenses somewhere? Are there specific instructions to fix this for the C9 Model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
most likely dust on the lens. If yours has the side ports you may be able to clean it from there, if not you have to remove the front and then clean the inside lens after.
post #3 of 29 Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Do you have a picture of exactly what the lense looks like if i have the side port so i know what to clean? Dont want to screw up the mirrors or other things inside.

Also what should i use to clean?
post #4 of 29 Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post

Also what should i use to clean?

Good question. DON'T use something like Windex. Mr. Bob on the Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV thread makes some good suggestions as far as CRT RPTVs go, but the principles should be similar. Do some research before cleaning with regard to cleaning agents and materials.

You'd be surprised what people use on these kinds of sets, as well as on display screens. Take your time before plunging ahead.
post #5 of 29 Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Do you have the side ports? My 65736 does but I think my 65737 does not - if you do there will be a cover over a hole on each side about half way up.

To clean just use a soft lintfree cloth - like a glasses or camera lens cloth.

If you have the ports, remove the cover and look in with a flashlight - in the center on the bottom you will see a lens - that lens gets dust on it and needs cleaned. Most often the mirror on the back is NOT dirty and is easily scratched so don't touch it if you don't have to.

If you don't have the ports, you have to remove the front screens - then you will see the lens on the bottom in the center.

Other than scratching the clear lens or mirror, there isn't really anything you can hurt in there.

THE lens is made of plastic - though it looks like glass.

HERE is the thread you want to read as yours is almost identical.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1148792
post #6 of 29 Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos View Post

Do you have the side ports? My 65736 does but I think my 65737 does not - if you do there will be a cover over a hole on each side about half way up.

To clean just use a soft lintfree cloth - like a glasses or camera lens cloth.

If you have the ports, remove the cover and look in with a flashlight - in the center on the bottom you will see a lens - that lens gets dust on it and needs cleaned. Most often the mirror on the back is NOT dirty and is easily scratched so don't touch it if you don't have to.

If you don't have the ports, you have to remove the front screens - then you will see the lens on the bottom in the center.

Other than scratching the clear lens or mirror, there isn't really anything you can hurt in there.

THE lens is made of plastic - though it looks like glass.

HERE is the thread you want to read as yours is almost identical.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1148792

Thanks. I have this blue cloth that came with my Mitsubishi glasses to clean them. Think would that would work
post #7 of 29 Old 04-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

yep
post #8 of 29 Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post

I have had my DLP for about 2.5 years now and really don't use it much other than weekends for games and the occasional movie.

Recently I started playing a Hockey Game with my friend and noticed grainyness or some kind of fuzzyness all over the screen which was easy to spot against the White Ice from the game. I thought it was the game until I watched a movie. You can't see it with darker colors but in lighter scenes it is apparent.

Any suggestions? Might there be a smudge on the lenses somewhere? Are there specific instructions to fix this for the C9 Model?

By your description, what you are seeing appears to be Silk Screen Effect (SSE), which is caused by the construction of the lenticular screen, and is normal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_screen_effect

I only notice it in brightly lit white backgrounds, such as a hockey game, or occassional scenes in a movie. It is more apparent if the contrast is set too high.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #9 of 29 Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Could be, but at the 2.5-3 yrs. time frame these tv's are known for getting dust on the projector lens.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could be, but at the 2.5-3 yrs. time frame these tv's are known for getting dust on the projector lens.

Really? I have not heard of that issue before, and no dust here (2008 model). I have read about it on much older TVs, however.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #11 of 29 Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

If yours has the side ports, pull one off and look at the lens with the tv on - you will be surprised.
post #12 of 29 Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Just to be on the safe side, I'd suggest flashing a flashlight onto the lens with the TV off to see what the preceding poster is talking about. These lenses will accumulate dust.

Those bulbs are bright, which is why I'd suggest never taking a chance of looking at one.
post #13 of 29 Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If yours has the side ports, pull one off and look at the lens with the tv on - you will be surprised.

I checked before I posted.

post #14 of 29 Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

You are looking off from the side so it isn't that bright. If you have the side ports, if not and the screen is off, then the tv can be off since you will be right there looking at the lens.

Sorry, I missed that you already checked. I had to clean my 65736 already, it had a nice little layer of dust on it.

Probably, depends on how much dust is in your house a bit. I noticed mine when watching a hockey game and that made me check it.
The side ports are nice - if my arms were just a tad longer
post #15 of 29 Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so I tried to unscrew the screen since the lense was just out of reach from the ports.

I am having problems getting the screen off however. Seems to be caught on something on the bottom. The top bends out ok but its hung up on something.

Also the lense looks dirty...My gf tried to squeeze in and clean it but it still looks dirty. Seems caked on there almost. Andy specific spray you recommend?
post #16 of 29 Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

There must be some screws you are missing on the bottom.

I would just use a very soft damp cloth to clean it and then a soft cloth to remove any streaks. Unfortunately it is made of plastic not glass, it doesn't scratch that easily but it will scratch.
So don't use any real cleaning agents, maybe some normal soap at most - like Ivory or dove, etc. But I'd try with just a damp cloth first.

The manual used to be available for download for free somewhere, I have it but not sure if it could be emailed. It is 8 meg.
post #17 of 29 Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

There must be some screws you are missing on the bottom.

I would just use a very soft damp cloth to clean it and then a soft cloth to remove any streaks. Unfortunately it is made of plastic not glass, it doesn't scratch that easily but it will scratch.
So don't use any real cleaning agents, maybe some normal soap at most - like Ivory or dove, etc. But I'd try with just a damp cloth first.

The manual used to be available for download for free somewhere, I have it but not sure if it could be emailed. It is 8 meg.

I wouldn't use soap or water. If it doesn't dust off I would only use a special cleaner. I'm pretty sure the lens has a coating that can be damaged.
post #18 of 29 Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

It is possible, but I don't see any reference to there being a special coating on the outside of the lens in the service manual.

I have 2 spare chassis and didn't notice anything on the outside of the lens on those - they are scratched due to damage which is how I know they are plastic and not glass.
I couldn't pass up buying a completed tv (freight damage) for $75 for parts - esp. since that is cheaper than a lamp

But I do not know for certain.
post #19 of 29 Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

But to be safe they do make special cleaning solutions for lens/glasses. Just make sure it is plastic safe.
post #20 of 29 Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

LE
Quote:

But to be safe they do make special cleaning solutions for lens/glasses. Just make sure it is plastic safe.

Absolutely right. I made this point some posts back. Just because it is plastic doesn't mean that the optical condition of the surface isn't important, or that it can't be damaged by improper cleaning.
post #21 of 29 Old 04-29-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

So what do you guys suggest as a cleaner?

Can anyone find something that would be safe from a place like staples or best buy they could post a link to? Might pick some up tonight.

Think a lightly damp with water microfiber would work?
post #22 of 29 Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

If it were me, I wouldn't use soap and water. Soaps leave a film. And I wouldn't use water, but rather something that quickly evaporates.

On the Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV thread they talk about the Sprayway brand of glass cleaner. One of the sprays in particular is for lenses. I'd call the company and tell them what you want to clean.

That's what I've read, but I haven't had the need to clean my lenses, so I can't vouch for anything.

The Sprayway brand apparently uses perfume grade alcohol which leaves no residue.

Using the wrong materials can permanently dull your optic.

Staples might recommend whatever they have, but they won't come to your house and replace your optic if anything goes wrong.
post #23 of 29 Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Anyone else with suggestions? I want to pick some up after work whether i need to stop by Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Staples, Autozone etx
post #24 of 29 Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not an alcohol and plastic fan myself, walmart sells a lens cleaning solution.
As long as it is safe for plastic glasses lens, it should be ok.

On my tv, I"ve only had to clean it from the side. ON my 62525 mitsubishi DLP, I used a damp soft rag - which worked fine. BUT I don't know if that one was glass or not.

Did you read that link I put for cleaning the 2007 models?
post #25 of 29 Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I'm not an alcohol and plastic fan myself, walmart sells a lens cleaning solution.
As long as it is safe for plastic glasses lens, it should be ok.

I know they use distilled water and alcohol 50/50 on the mirrors but I'm not sure on the lens. I wouldn't use it straight nor rub with any pressure.
post #26 of 29 Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

So what did you decide to do?
post #27 of 29 Old 05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
There is actually something called "lens cleaner".
Three years isn't old, there shouldn't be any real accumulation inside unless you have a very dusty environment and/or smoke. Ever consider the dust/coating might be inside the optical block, not outside?

BTW, don't use compressed air.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #28 of 29 Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So what did you decide to do?

i am going to get back in there this weekend. had to pack it in last weekend and havent had and time yet this week.
post #29 of 29 Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

There is actually something called "lens cleaner".
Three years isn't old, there shouldn't be any real accumulation inside unless you have a very dusty environment and/or smoke. Ever consider the dust/coating might be inside the optical block, not outside?

BTW, don't use compressed air.

i hope not. i am not ready to take it apart. no smoking in my house.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page