Question setting up 3D on Mitsu WD-73c11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Been a longtime reader, just recently signed on to add to the discussions.
I'm looking into testing out 3D on my mitsubishi TV. I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding how to accomplish this though. I've done a little bit of research, on the mitsubishi site. http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/feature/3DTV/3D_FAQ
Basically it is saying I should get the mitsubishi emitter and glasses. I was wondering what the need for the emitter was, is it for non DLP glasses?

I was wondering if I can go a different route, getting the Optoma-BG-ZD101 glasses since they appear to be highly rated? With this, would I just set my TV up to DLP and it'll work without the emitter?

Also, looking through the menus there seems to be a 2D+ Depth which appear to convert 2D to 3D, I was hoping to get any input on this and how good it looks. I plan on using the 2D+ Depth mostly since my satellite box doesn't support 3D, but I hope that I can setup the Nvidia 3D Vision through my HTPC.

I have a Yamaha RX-567 receiver which does support 3D. I'll probably pick up a PS3 to play official 3D movies, will this use the true 3D capability at that point instead of using the 2D+ Depth?

Sorry if this is kind of noobish, but I tried to do my reading but it's a bit confusing. Thank you for any help/advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
The emitter port is only used for IR glasses, so no need for an emitter if you get DLP Link glasses. Have you tried Optoma-BG-ZD101 glasses? I have and hated them. There are many more modern options now, as the ZD101s are old, clunky, and very uncomfortable (IMO). And yes, with DLP Link glasses you do not need any emitter, they work without one as long as your set has DLP Link turned on.

As for 2D->3D I have no idea, but there is no way it looks as good as true 3D sources.

The PS3 in 3D is awesome. Get Motorstorm Rift or Apocalypse, your mind will be blown away by the depth.

PS - you want a decent pair of DLP Link glasses? I am hearing a lot of good things about Eagle DLP Link glasses. Search for "Eagle DLP glasses" on amazon. Great reviews, better price. Another choice is "True Depth 3D Glasses" - a few people have also recommended those.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

The emitter port is only used for IR glasses, so no need for an emitter if you get DLP Link glasses. Have you tried Optoma-BG-ZD101 glasses? I have and hated them. There are many more modern options now, as the ZD101s are old, clunky, and very uncomfortable (IMO). And yes, with DLP Link glasses you do not need any emitter, they work without one as long as your set has DLP Link turned on.

As for 2D->3D I have no idea, but there is no way it looks as good as true 3D sources.

The PS3 in 3D is awesome. Get Motorstorm Rift or Apocalypse, your mind will be blown away by the depth.

PS - you want a decent pair of DLP Link glasses? I am hearing a lot of good things about Eagle DLP Link glasses. Search for "Eagle DLP glasses" on amazon. Great reviews, better price. Another choice is "True Depth 3D Glasses" - a few people have also recommended those.

Thank you for the suggestions! According to the manual and quoting another forum member,

"2D+ Depth When selected, generates a simulated
3D image from an ordinary
2D image. Adjust the effect using
the Depth setting. Requires use of
active-shutter 3D glasses."

I went ahead and ordered the True Depth 3D DLP link rechargeable 3D glasses since they appear to be less "bulky" than the Optoma. Should be coming in on saturday. I'll play around with the TV settings, also the Nvidia 3D Vision. Kind of bummed that HDMI doesn't do 120hz, should have done more research! Will post results.

Thanks again.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Scroll down the page to the comparison shots. Then looks at Empiricals shots on the next page. Green Tint IS AN ISSUE regardless what other say.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...334815&page=35

edit: The second shot of the TD's is deleted from imageshack. Sorry.

As for Comfortable, really? You are wearing this for 90 minutes at most(Except Avatar) and get a better picture quality in general. Not to mention most who bitch about the ZD101's don't try one of the other 3 NOSE pieces that all come with.

Empericals True Depths were bought 8-9 months and he reached the same conclusion.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1192

I have truly tested with 3dheaven DLp, TD's, Zd101's, and Ultimate 3d's and the ZD101's still tops them over all. I am looking into the Eagle eye glasses soon also. Will be ordering a par next month. But as for TD's, they are far below everyone else for PQ period. That green tint just threw me right off of ever owning another pair.

Cool Beans.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I stand by my review of the ZD 101 - they suck. Maybe I have a large head or something, but they hurt above my ears more than my nose. No amount of changing nose pieces was going to make them fit better or be lighter. Not to mention the legs don't fold in, people have lots of issues with them breaking, and they are top 5 on the ugly meter. I have a Samsung, so there is no green tint on my set - its red.

I use Ultra Clears. They work great for me. I'd love to try a set of ZD 201s, as they sound awesome.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page