Pioner SD533HD5 SCREEN questions....... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-21-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bout to do a little maintenance on this 53" Pioneer.

Few years back I nicked the protective screen and so I ordered a new one. However have noticed a lot of glare on this type of smooth shiny protective screen. What would happen if I just removed the old protective screen ? How would one deal with the empty space in the frame created by this ?

Or just put the new one in and forget it ?
Does anybody know if this model has a plastic or a real mirror in it ?
Thanks............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post

Bout to do a little maintenance on this 53" Pioneer.

Few years back I nicked the protective screen and so I ordered a new one. However have noticed a lot of glare on this type of smooth shiny protective screen. What would happen if I just removed the old protective screen ? How would one deal with the empty space in the frame created by this ?

Or just put the new one in and forget it ?
Does anybody know if this model has a plastic or a real mirror in it ?
Thanks............

You can remove the acrylic screen... You just put the very expensive lenticular screen underneath out there for damage. The plus side is you remove the glare. If you wanted to you could replace the original acrylic with a modern non glare version. For that size, you can have a custom piece cut for about 45 to 60 dollars. Not regular plexiglass mind you... High end non glare acrylic. I know I did it with one of my sets. Shop around. Check EBay.

The screens come out from the front, Do not remove the screws on the plastic housing on the back or you may cause the mirror to come crashing down on the lenses inside. Yes... Mirror is real plated glass.

Check on the 510 forum. I've posted the diagrams from the service manual several times over the last few years. Screws are hidden behind the front plastic side panels to either side of the center controls. Some elbow grease is needed to lift off the hangers on the top. It hangs just like a picture frame. The screws holding it in are under the plastic trim around the frame. Take those out carefully, and you can take out the acrylic safety screen.

Good luck.

Joe
post #3 of 3 Old 05-31-2012, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
thanks for the reply......so how much difference would a non glare type screen protector make versus the factory one ? I have a replacement and the factory glare screen is only a prob in light. This set is rarely used daytime.
What you think ?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page