Melted connection mit xx725 no codes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some answers. I have a xx725 with mit rebuilt chassis 2 years ago and now a new problem with a burnt smelling while tv is on, no flashing lights or codes. Found the lamp connections melted to the ballast power cable. Could not just pull the lamp out to check it, had open the tv back and gently work it from the lamp power cable from the ballast and found the burnt smell. The good news the house did not burn down. What would cause this ? Tv was still working with no codes and it will not go back together with these fried connections. Any Ideas ?
Thanks
mit725
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit725 View Post

Looking for some answers. I have a xx725 with mit rebuilt chassis 2 years ago and now a new problem with a burnt smelling while tv is on, no flashing lights or codes. Found the lamp connections melted to the ballast power cable. Could not just pull the lamp out to check it, had open the tv back and gently work it from the lamp power cable from the ballast and found the burnt smell. The good news the house did not burn down. What would cause this ? Tv was still working with no codes and it will not go back together with these fried connections. Any Ideas ?
Thanks
mit725

This is not unheard of. You get a loose or dirty connection there, and because the firing voltage can be around 5-10,000 VAC you can get arcing. It heats up even more than usual, the plastic starts to fail and it all cascades. You need to replace the lamp housing and probably the ballast with the attached connector.

Check the lamp fan while you are at it.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you ChuckF for the response. I just ordered a lamp ballast even though all need is the plug but thats the way it goes. One side of the plug just melted and the lamp cage and ballast connection became one plastic mess. It was weird that it would sometimes run with no smell and other times about 15 min on and it would start to smell like plastic burning. I need a new cage for the lamp, I have not been able to just find a cage and I think about the ones I tossed out.
Thanks