Sony Rear Projector - Insurance arguement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm mid discussion with my insurance company after my 50 inch Sony rear projector was damaged. It was knocked backwards off its stand onto the floor from a height of around 60cms. The television had been on for a few hours previously. After falling off the stand I turned the TV on and the green and red light flashed alternately signifying the bulb had gone. The insurance company have said that their engineers report states that the bulb would not get damaged by a fall from that height and that the damaged was caused by wear and tear. Granted the TV is old but it was working before the fall and not working after the fall.

From the little research I've done all the articles say that to avoid damaging a bulb you should not:
1. Unplug the TV before the bulb has had chance to cool
2. Move the TV before the bulb has cooled
3. Subject the TV to and bangs, knocks or sudden movements
Or you run the risk of the bulb prematurely going.

They have asked me to provide further evidence of how I think the bulb was damaged, but, beyond commissioning my own engineers report, quoting the stuff I've found on the internet and re-re-re-re-submitting the same evidence I am at a loss as to how I explain to them how I feel the damage was caused by this fall. It's frustrating because all the evidence I can find out there says the damage was caused by the fall.

In short, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of any sites I can go to that show a fall from this height could damage the TV, or, if there's anyone out there who knows of any precedence that can help, or, any Sony sites I can go to that can help, orjust plain help! I'm not looking to falsify my claim.I'm not looking for anything dodgyI just want to know if there's anything out there I can use to demonstrate that the TV was damaged by the fall.

Thanks in advance
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It doesn't take much to break a hot bulb/lamp. Did the TV fall onto a carpeted floor or a hard (wood, tile, etc) floor?
post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! Sorry for the delay in mine, I got a bit disheartened after a few days of 0 responses!

A carpeted floor. It was stood on a bench about a 2 foot off the floor.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM

Liked: 11
Is this your home owner's insurance? They would theoretically pay for a broken TV???
post #5 of 6 Old 06-16-2012, 12:17 PM

I have to ask this and I'm surprised this hasn't been asked yet.... How in the world did a 50 inch tv get knocked off its stand?!?!

Help a Family in need, Show Them We Care! Like it on Facebook and tweet it!
http://igg.me/p/171832?a=874546
post #6 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

It was on a bench and I hit it with the stand by accident, knocking it off said bench.

And, it turns out after a fair bit of discussion they will replace my TV. I was on the verge of giving up and then today got a result. I now need to do a little research on if they have offered me a good TV!

Thank you
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page