The "How Old Is Your DLP TV?" Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
We've all seen the various DLP Owners and Repair threads through the years, but I'm also curious about the sets that actually make it, and last a long time. It would be good to see how many people kept their sets, rather than upgrade, as well. smile.gif

Please post Year, Make, and Model Number, along with any comments, such as repairs, hours on set, or anything else you want to add.

For example

2006 Mitsubishi WD-65732, 15,234 hours.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 06-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Purchased a Samsung hlp5063 in 2004, heavy usage of about 10 hrs a day.
Replaced the color wheel myself in 2010 and went thru about 4 bulbs. Still looks excellent and running strong today. smile.gif It's now in my sons room at 6-8 hrs a day.

A week ago we just purchased a wd-73740 for the living room and love it.
post #3 of 54 Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 PM

Liked: 10
I have the 67 inch Samsung HLS-6767W purchased on 10/2006 from Costco calibrated by UMR. I have over 10000 hours on it. Replace the first bulb around 8500 hours. Still looks great. It has a better picture than most of the 70 inch Sharps out there. I have thought about upgrading. However when I view the latest tvs I still think mine looks just as good if not better. The color wheel has hummed for a few years now. Hasn't affected the picture quality one bit. I got my money's worth.

LawDawg
post #4 of 54 Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the 3 gun Panasonic PT53WX42, purchased Nov 2002, no maintenance other than DIY convervence adjustment 3 times and wiping off the outer gun lens twice. No idea how to pull up an hour meter, but maybe 3 hours per day for 10 years, that makes, lets see, about 10,000 hours. Holey moley.

LG 47LN5200, Yamaha RX-V730, Sony DVP-S530D, JBL NSPii, SVS PC12-NSD
post #5 of 54 Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Congratulations, but I don't think that TV is a DLP, is it? It's still good to see it's still going strong, however.smile.gif

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 54 Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
My Mits WD-57732 turned 5 years old this past March. Off the top of my head I'm at about 12,000 hours. One lens cleaning and on my second lamp, with a backup lamp assy in the closet. Still an awesome picture. smile.gif

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #7 of 54 Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM

I have a Samsung HLN567 I purchased in Sept 2003 and love the picture. I have had to replace the bulb only once. I am now having trouble connecting a new receiver- Pioneer Elite VSX-53 A/V, a Sony Blu-ray mega changer and even a new cable box using a DVI to HDMI connector. I have been using this HDMI to DVI connection since I purchased the set but the new equipment does not seem to recognize the TV as HDCP compliant.
post #8 of 54 Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kalinowski View Post

I have a Samsung HLN567 I purchased in Sept 2003 and love the picture. I have had to replace the bulb only once. I am now having trouble connecting a new receiver- Pioneer Elite VSX-53 A/V, a Sony Blu-ray mega changer and even a new cable box using a DVI to HDMI connector. I have been using this HDMI to DVI connection since I purchased the set but the new equipment does not seem to recognize the TV as HDCP compliant.

One new lamp in nine years? Wow, that's pretty good.

post #9 of 54 Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Purchased mine in 2006 with over 10,700 hours on a Samsung DLP hls6187wx
post #10 of 54 Old 06-17-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Ole Anderson; That is a CRT RPTV. Wrong thread.

Mits WD-57732 in 2007, 6k hours , one lamp change (old lamp is still good, keeping it as a share). I don't run mine 24/7 or even 8/7. Probably only watch 12 hrs. a week.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #11 of 54 Old 06-17-2012, 07:29 AM

I bought my mitsubishi 65732 in 06, its been through 3 lamps a heat sensor and a main video board, it wasn't defective, it was replaced to try to solve a problem it has when using older game systems.
post #12 of 54 Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
post #13 of 54 Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

Here ya go myers: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1413878/wobbulation-problem-with-games Best of luck.
confused.gif Um, I'm pretty sure Myers4601 started that thread, so I think he already knows about it.

post #14 of 54 Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Haha small world biggrin.gif
post #15 of 54 Old 06-18-2012, 02:06 AM

My Samsung HL-T5675S is about four years old and just had the lamp replaced. Looks good too, especially with a Blu Ray or (oddly enough) over the air 1080i from the local KPBS station. I have a new Onkyo TX-NR818 that I will be hooking up my Pioneer Laser Disc player to and see how good it makes my collection look on the Samsung. My previous model 608 did a so so job but this new receiver should make a noticeable improvement in those laser discs. I hope.

Happy DLP owner here.
post #16 of 54 Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 AM

Samsung R6168W DLP tv, purchased from Abes of Maine on October 27, 2005, along with a Samsung stand, three year in-home extended warranty, and bulb replacement warranty (I think the warranties were bundled). I paid exactly $4385, no sales tax and shipping included, for the TV, both warranties, and the stand. I have an image of the receipt, I scan all documents and store on my Mac Pro computer.

The DLP blew a color wheel in 2009, and thankfully was still in warranty by like two weeks. When I say blew, I mean blew: shards went everywhere inside the cabinet. You could see one shard on the image/screen. Made my money on the warranty, because it was a real, real bitch to get the color wheel assembly fixed, in part because it was difficult to procure a brand new color wheel assembly, and they had difficulty cleaning out all the wheel shards. It took something like two months to fix it, including one failed attempt with yet another color wheel that failed during one repair attempt. No exaggeration. I swore off any new DLP sets after that, but we still used the Samsung for years.

First bulb lasted long time. But TV now seems to eat bulbs, was starting to replace them every 18 months or so. On acquisition price alone, cost of ownership was $625 per year for around seven years. Add in the bulbs, and probably looking at approximately $690 per year.

I will say one thing about this Samsung DLP, it held up decently under a lot of use. On a fair number of nights, the TV stayed on through the night, or we'd go out to dinner and just leave it on. I'm sure this ole' Samsung saw many 12+ hour days of use, simply because we put it on and left it on. Other than bulb replacement, we did zero regular maintenance. I think that's pretty good in today's throwaway society.

We've now graduated to Panasonic's VT50 plasma line. Am very happy to be making the switch to thin form factor direct display technology. No more DLP or bulky cabinets for us.
post #17 of 54 Old 06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
2008 Samsung HL67A750. The first one went out after about 2 hours, and was replaced by Amazon with no issue. Since then, no problems. I really like the fact that with just a $100 Mitsu converter with the EDID restrictions cleared, I now have a better TV for 3D than all of the LCDs and plasma's out there. I don't know how to check the hours on the TV. If someone will enlighten me, I'll add that information.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #18 of 54 Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

2008 Samsung HL67A750. The first one went out after about 2 hours, and was replaced by Amazon with no issue. Since then, no problems. I really like the fact that with just a $100 Mitsu converter with the EDID restrictions cleared, I now have a better TV for 3D than all of the LCDs and plasma's out there. I don't know how to check the hours on the TV. If someone will enlighten me, I'll add that information.

From http://www.jangro.com/items/samgung-dlp-rest-lamp-hours/
Quote:
The service menu is pretty well hidden behind a sequence of key presses on your remote. Here's how to get in there:

1.Turn your system off.

2.Press the following buttons individually with a short pause between each: Mute-1-8-2-Power.

The Television will turn on into the service menu. Once in there look in the Options menu for the lamp hours and counter reset. As for the other settings, I'd caution against playing around there!

post #19 of 54 Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kalinowski View Post

Wow almost exactly the same here. Samsung HLN567 purchased December 2003, and only one bulb replacement.

The red "temp" light is now on all the time, even when the TV has been off for hours, so I figure it's either a light malfunction or just something in the panel/seating that's loose.

My companion equipment is all pretty old as well and still had DVI outputs so I've been rolling with that, but the LG-LST5100 DVD player finally died a few weeks ago. I'd like to use the PS3 for DVDs just like I do for Blu-Ray, but these old Samsung DLPs can't be that flexible with their resolutions on a single video connection, and I can't seem to get the PS3 upscaling to work in a way the TV will recognize. M

post #20 of 54 Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 PM

2007 Samsung HLT-5076S.

The one with the imfamous "bowing issues" which on my set is very very minor.

Bought in the spring of 2008 for $900 from Best Buy, and still going strong.

Bought the extended 4 year warranty through BB which was great because after I moved, the screen was all sorts of messed up and out of alignment, but I got it all fixed for free, plus an extra bulb that I have yet to use. I also had an issue with the color wheel buzzing like crazy and it kept getting horribly worse. That too, fixed in home for no cost thanks to the warranty. Best $199 I spent.

It has just over 1000 hours on it now after 4 years. I use it 99% of the time just for gaming, and the TV is amazing to game on with no noticeable lag. I would say it is the best TV I have ever bought, and even now after 5 years it looks better or as good as most TVs I see at the stores.
post #21 of 54 Old 07-08-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Did you ever find out how many hours your set has?

post #22 of 54 Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM

Liked: 20
I've got 280 hours on my TV. Purcashed it way back in March 2012. 92" Mitsubishi. Its been performing like a tank, no issues so far!
post #23 of 54 Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another 7 year old DLP. Anyone else rocking an older set?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcewen98 View Post

Perfecting timing for this thread to come alive. I was this close to getting a 50" Samsung plasma then thought better of it, then I got the email notification about this thread. My 46" is is almost 7 years old and is still going strong with the original lamp. I think back to when I got the TV from Circuit City (can't believe it was that long ago), the sales guy was absolutely certain I would at least need 1 lamp per year, and acted like I was crazy not to get the extended warranty...

post #24 of 54 Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bought a Samsung HL-R4667W back in May 2006...so just over 6 years old. I had the main-board replaced under warranty and it's still going strong. It probably has at least 20,000 total hours on it. Just installed it's 3rd bulb which had 9000 hours on it. About 3 years ago I bought another TV from a private seller (same model) for my XBox. The analog inputs don't work on this one but HDMI works fine. I put a new bulb in and all is good!
post #25 of 54 Old 07-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
About 10000 hours on my 2006 Mitsu WD-65732. One bulb replacement a few months ago, no other service in nearly 6 years except for cleaning the bulb filter a couple times. Old bulb never died, but got very dim. I'm planning on getting a new TV in a few months but will give the 65732 to my neighbor so will update life somewhere down the road.
post #26 of 54 Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I have a Samsung HLT-6187s purchased on 2/21/08
I haven't checked my hours, but it isn't a huge amount - maybe 4-5 day max.
No bowing issues, no RED LED failure, perfect geometry. Incredible 3D, glad I grabbed up a 3DA-1 while they were still cheap and available. Manual EDID Fix to make it work.

I wish they kept making these sets. Still one of the best out there.
post #27 of 54 Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 66
I'm on year 4 with a Samsung 50A650. Runs an average of 8 hrs/day and still on original bulb.
However; based on what I have read elsewhere, I am worried that I am on running on borrowed time for a major/expensive failure?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #28 of 54 Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

I'm on year 4 with a Samsung 50A650. Runs an average of 8 hrs/day and still on original bulb.
However; based on what I have read elsewhere, I am worried that I am on running on borrowed time for a major/expensive failure?

Keep your fingers crossed and remember that what you see online is not a microcosm of the real world. You'll see a much higher ratio of problems discussed here than may be evident in the real world, as many people come here for the sole purpose of discussing problems they may be having.

post #29 of 54 Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Purchased a Samsung HL-R5667W from a Circuit City in July 2005 for $2489.98. In 2009 I replaced the original bulb (at around 11,000 hours), which is currently still in the tv with ~9,000 hours on it. In 2010 the color wheel started buzzing really loud and replaced it. I also had to replace the lamp fan in 2011.

In 2007 I handed off this tv to my parents who absolutely love it for its size and picture quality. It was their first HDTV, and they probably won't let it go until it just totally dies. There is an issue with it when the electricity flickers and the tv loses power. It will not turn back on via the power button. You have to unplug it from the outlet for about 30 seconds, re-plug it in and then it will work. Not sure what the deal is with that if anyone can explain why it does that.
post #30 of 54 Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner02 View Post

Purchased a Samsung HL-R5667W from a Circuit City in July 2005 for $2489.98. In 2009 I replaced the original bulb (at around 11,000 hours), which is currently still in the tv with ~9,000 hours on it. In 2010 the color wheel started buzzing really loud and replaced it. I also had to replace the lamp fan in 2011.

In 2007 I handed off this tv to my parents who absolutely love it for its size and picture quality. It was their first HDTV, and they probably won't let it go until it just totally dies. There is an issue with it when the electricity flickers and the tv loses power. It will not turn back on via the power button. You have to unplug it from the outlet for about 30 seconds, re-plug it in and then it will work. Not sure what the deal is with that if anyone can explain why it does that.

That's the computer in it. If there is a power glitch it shuts down to protect itself. Unplugging it reboots the system.

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Panasonic , Samsung Hl S6167w Hls6167w Lamp With Housing Bp96 01472a
Gear in this thread - S6167w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page