Are you still replacing DLP lamps? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 5th bulb just blew on my Toshiba 56hm195 I purchased in 2005. I still love the look of movies and sporting events for the detail and natural looks and I will replace it this time. A fresh bulb will be nice to watch the olympics.

Having said that I am thinking about replacing it with a plasma/LCD. Prices are coming down and if the lamp price starts going up I just might pull the trigger. The appeal of DLP to me is that despite the cost of the lamp, it's essentially a new tv after each replacement.

I wonder how long these lamps are going to be avaialble though. As I understand most Toshiba DLPs of that era used the same lamp therefore I'm guessing there is a large customer base needing new bulbs. But I wonder if the old TVs are being replaced with newer ones. Are you holding on to yours or like me considering a replacment?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by synmag View Post

The 5th bulb just blew on my Toshiba 56hm195 I purchased in 2005. I still love the look of movies and sporting events for the detail and natural looks and I will replace it this time. A fresh bulb will be nice to watch the olympics.

Having said that I am thinking about replacing it with a plasma/LCD. Prices are coming down and if the lamp price starts going up I just might pull the trigger. The appeal of DLP to me is that despite the cost of the lamp, it's essentially a new tv after each replacement.

I wonder how long these lamps are going to be avaialble though. As I understand most Toshiba DLPs of that era used the same lamp therefore I'm guessing there is a large customer base needing new bulbs. But I wonder if the old TVs are being replaced with newer ones. Are you holding on to yours or like me considering a replacment?

Cheers

2004-2005 Toshiba lamps were known for going early. There was even a class action lawsuit over it. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/03/class-action-se/

I have had two Mitsubishi DLPs, friends and family have 5 more, and all the lamps lasted 5000 hours, minimum. Also, replacements are $99 and come complete with a slide in/out cartridge. A new 73" can now be had for under $1200. http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-73740-73-Inch-1080p-Projection/dp/B004ZL2OB8

I wouldn't rule out DLP in your shopping. http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Projectors , Plasma Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page