2005 Sammy vs 2012 Mits - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samung HLR6168W and am pretty much done repairing it. Bulbs, colorwheels, ballasts, light tunnels...etc, I've done it all....more then once sometimes. I've been very pleased with the picture when the TV works, and considering staying with a DLP. I'm also considering a Panny plamsa, but I really want to go with a larger sceen sized DLP. Has the durability of Mitsubushi's DLP's parts improved over my Samsung? I would think that in the past 7 years the components have gotten better, but I'm curious if it really has. I don't feel like having to open up my TV anymore, and have to repair it myself every 18 months or so. Changing bulbs is not a big deal to me, I'm just done having to open up the entire back panel, troubleshoot, search this awesome site for help and info, order parts, wait......etc.... Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, no comments at all......? I'm starting to think that I will just expect to have to replace parts on a new model Mits DLP every 12-18 months....or were the HLR model Samsungs just a bunch of lemons? I do like the price per square inch on a DLP, but if the parts are still pretty much the same, and haven't been improved, then I'll be switching to plasma. Anyone......?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm no expert by any means, but my Samsung HLP5063 I bought in 2004 is still going strong. I have went thru 4 bulbs and a color wheel in 8 years. Not bad I don't think.
Now, having said that. I just purchased a Mit 73740 about a month ago. I just had both of them side by side and I can tell you the Mit blows the sammy away...
Not saying the mits has better tech or not, but it sure looks like DLP's have come a long way.

My new 73740 replaced my samsung 52" LCD purchased in 2008. My HLP5063 is in my sons room.
Our new 73740 also looks much better than our 52" LCD as well...

Haven't had any problem with our new mit, but I did get a 4 year warranty with it just in case. I was kinda in the same boat as you because I was going to go
with a Panny GT50 plasma. I'm sure glad I didn't, for the difference in price of the Mit compared to what I would have paid for the Panny, it just made no sense to go plasma.

But anyway, I'm sure the tech has improved since 2004, I hope so anyway. Time will tell for me...

my 2 cents.. smile.gif
Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, is the HLP5063 HD? I've changed three bulbs (not a big deal), also 2 color wheels, one light tunnel, one ballast, and I think that's a bit for a TV I nearly paid $5G for. It's currently down now with a new issue and I just don't feel like troubleshooting and fixing it anymore. Just hoping to not have to go through the frustrations again if I go with another DLP.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post

Thanks for the reply, is the HLP5063 HD?.

Yes, it is HD.

I agree, you have replaced way too many parts IMO. From the research I did on the mits before I purchased my 73740, I felt like the 2011 (and up) Models have worked out a lot of bugs in the past.

I would say give dlp another shot, just get an extended warranty for pc of mind.
Mine was a no brainer, for $1388.00 shipped & included a 4 year warranty...it was an easy decision. smile.gif
Old 07-08-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I have the 2008 Mits WD-65835 and it's as good as the day I got it. My sons each have a 2009 model, with no issues as well. My ex and my buddy bought 2011 models. These are great TVs. While I prefer my set over most of the newer ones, my buddy's WD-73840 has hands down the best picture of all of them in my opinion.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you the suggestions, a WD-73742 has been ordered.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Let us know how you feel about your new Mits !

I envy your tech smarts, on the parts you've replaced....
I build my own computers & will try to teach friends how to do it also; but i try to stay out of the insides of TV's, ever since my bad experience with a 6 1/2' Kloss Nova Beam Tripler !!

Good Luck with your new set, as it's the 1 i've targeted
I like the array of input & output , esp. the internet. [just wish it had a fibre optic plug-iin]
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM

i guess with dlp its the luck of the draw,I have a 08 yr 67 inch sammy dlp with tons of hours,never evenhadto replace the bulb and it still looks great..thinking of going to larger 82 inch mits now..hope i have a s good luck with it
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

i guess with dlp its the luck of the draw,I have a 08 yr 67 inch sammy dlp with tons of hours,never evenhadto replace the bulb and it still looks great..thinking of going to larger 82 inch mits now..hope i have a s good luck with it

8 years old? You should post in this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414925/the-how-old-is-your-dlp-tv-thread

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Tags
Samsung , Lcd Hdtv