Mits DLP's as Computer Monitors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-05-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At this time I have an old Pioneer CRT RPTV and it still is functioning fine. But I would like to plan ahead so when I need a new TV I can have some decisions made already. I have read up on the Mits DLP's and they certainly intrigue me to the point where I could see myself purchasing one. The pluses to me certainly outweigh the cons and do believe that alot of the 2008 and older problems have been reduced significantly. My main concern at this time is how these function as a computer monitor?? My current CRT RPTV really sucks, it does have a VGA input but actually states in the manual not to use it for hooking up a computer. At one time I did have my desktop on it but was thru Powerstrip I think and really wasn't that satisfactory a picture. I see the Mits doesn't have the VGA connector so the input according to their manual says to use the HDMI connector. I would like to have my next TV setup also as a computer monitor and from what I gather from reading the LCD's and plasmas work very well for that purpose. How well do the DLP's work for a computer monitor, hopefully there are some users out there that are doing that?? My video card has DVI and VGA outputs so I would obviously need a DVI-HDMI adapter. Will I have to play and play with settings on my video card to get the screen to show my whole desktop, including the toolbar, or is it a painless process? Please help me out as I haven't seen too much info on this subject here, at least what I have found. I would hate to find out the hard way that I made a mistake. Thanks...smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

I should probably clarify, I don't want to use the DLP as JUST a monitor, but when the computer next to the TV is on then maybe.....also to watch .avi and .mpeg files played from the computer....
post #3 of 9 Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Well I guess technically you can say I use my Mits DLP as a PC monitor since 90% of the TV's use is for my HTPC. smile.gif It works great especially for HD content. You can use the nVidia or AMD control panels to adjust for overscan so everything fits on the screen. I'm not sure I'd really use it for everyday surfing or whatever but for videos and games, hell yes!

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #4 of 9 Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm using a CRT rear pro right now as a computer monitor so a dlp should work just fine. Is that a pioneer elite you have? Crt's take some fine tuning of the focus to really dial them in as well as having the resolution set to 1080i (use 1366x768 scaled to 1080i to keep things readable). The dlp should work great though, your graphics card should have an option to scale 1366x768 to 1080p for everyday web browsing and then full 1080 for video. Crt rear projection are susceptible to burn in which is why it was reccomended in the manual not to use it as a monitor (got mine for free as a project so I could care less biggrin.gif )
post #5 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mik James,

No wish it was a Pioneer Elite, just a SD-533HD5...But has been a good TV for many years now. I will try your settings and see what I can get, I know I used the Powerstrip program a number of years ago to make it work but have since forgotten the settings.

My main concern tho is finding people here that are using their DLP's also as a computer monitor and finding out how well they work. I'm pretty sure the LCD's and plasmas are pretty much plug and play and was hoping the DLP would also be but without the VGA input not so sure. There must be a few out there who are doing what I want to........
post #6 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

TchOrT,

See you are a fellow Michigander, hot enough here for ya?? Thanks for your insight as to computer use, no it would not be for everyday surfing but sometimes I have videos on my computer and would like to watch on the big screen without converting the video. As stated above, just wondering if it is a hassle to setup like my CRT HDTV is, or more plug and play??
post #7 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Mine is 'plug and play' with the hdmi input. Only adjustment is for overscan, as mentioned above. Have to set a custom resolution for everything to be seen on the screen. It works fine.

bg
post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
A lot of lcds and Plasmas have overscan as well and not all have 1:1 pixel mapping.
There will likely be some overscan that you can adjust in the graphics card options but other than that there's no reason why it shouldn't work just like any other tv. I've used Plasmas and lcds over hdmi/dvi without issue.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSMan View Post

TchOrT,
See you are a fellow Michigander, hot enough here for ya?? Thanks for your insight as to computer use, no it would not be for everyday surfing but sometimes I have videos on my computer and would like to watch on the big screen without converting the video. As stated above, just wondering if it is a hassle to setup like my CRT HDTV is, or more plug and play??

Hah I've been hiding in the A/C for the last week+ as much as possible. It's supposed to be record breaking temperatures today. I'm not sure on your particular display however I used to use a Hitachi 51F59A HD RP CRT with my HTPC. I also use a LG 37LD450 LCD HDTV (it supports 4:4:4 chroma sub sampling) for my main computer display. The Mits 73640 and Hitachi 51F59A were pretty much plug in play, both you have to adjust for the overscan. They're both pretty easy to setup and just used HDMI or DVI to . My 37LD450 needed some driver tricks to enable 4:4:4 and I had to set the TV to 1:1 pixel mapping. I think your TV will probably be fine just as long as try to avoid burn in.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page