Sony kf-60we610 purple haze problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really need help it is greatly appreciated.

Well I am new to this forum and I have a problem with my tv. I recently bought a Sony 60we610 rptv with the dreaded blue spot problem I decided to take on the challenge of fixing it I bought another tv of the same model and harvests the parts of it I fixed the blue spot problem and got it put back together and set the convergence on it now the problem I have is when the tv is on there is an oily looking streak across the screen and a pretty serious purple spot on the screen these are especially noticeable on a screen with no input. This is my first tv project and i am doing good I just have this last problem to worry about. Thanks to all who help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orngjucesimpson View Post

I really need help it is greatly appreciated.
Well I am new to this forum and I have a problem with my tv. I recently bought a Sony 60we610 rptv with the dreaded blue spot problem I decided to take on the challenge of fixing it I bought another tv of the same model and harvests the parts of it I fixed the blue spot problem and got it put back together and set the convergence on it now the problem I have is when the tv is on there is an oily looking streak across the screen and a pretty serious purple spot on the screen these are especially noticeable on a screen with no input. This is my first tv project and i am doing good I just have this last problem to worry about. Thanks to all who help

The only thing I can think of is some kind of dirt or smear of something on one of the parts in the light engine. How far did you take it apart?
A photo of the tv with a white screen and a black screen might help narrow it down.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

The only thing I can think of is some kind of dirt or smear of something on one of the parts in the light engine. How far did you take it apart?
A photo of the tv with a white screen and a black screen might help narrow it down.

I took the optical block out and replaced the blue LCD screen and polarizer with a green set. I don't have a good enough camera to capture it And it is only on a black screen. I really appreciate the help though.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I took the optical block out and replaced the blue LCD screen and polarizer with a green set. I don't have a good enough camera to capture it And it is only on a black screen. I really appreciate the help though.

Explain further please: "replaced the blue LCD screen and polarizer with a green set".
What exactly did you remove from the donor and put in the patient?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

Explain further please: "replaced the blue LCD screen and polarizer with a green set".
What exactly did you remove from the donor and put in the patient?

I removed the blue LCD screen and polarizer and replaced it with a green LCD panel and it's corresponding polarizer from another tv that was the same model. I made sure to take extra care to not touch anything but accidents happen. So I took a q tip and wiped all three LCD screens and the projector lens. Then I loosely put it back together minus the dust covers and slid the light engine back into the tv and turned it on and ran across the problem
post #6 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I removed the blue LCD screen and polarizer and replaced it with a green LCD panel and it's corresponding polarizer from another tv that was the same model. I made sure to take extra care to not touch anything but accidents happen. So I took a q tip and wiped all three LCD screens and the projector lens. Then I loosely put it back together minus the dust covers and slid the light engine back into the tv and turned it on and ran across the problem

In Sony's 3-LCD sets the three LCD panels are monochromatic, calling them 'the red LCD panel', etc, is not technically correct but we tend to all do it. Better to call them 'the LCD panel in the blue path' etc.

For this reason you can replace the (usually bad) LCD panel in the blue path with one from the green or red path from another set as you have done.

This is NOT true for the polarizers. (BTW, I assume you meant the input polarizers which are changeable, the output polarizers are glued to the prism block underneath the LCD panel and should never be messed with.) The green path input polarizer can't substitute for the blues. You should look at the blue path input polarizers for both donor and patient and use whichever looks the best. On these sets the blue path input polarizers don't tend to burn up too badly. I've never seen one personally that was not somewhat reusable. On some other manufacturers' sets they fry and curl up like a strip of bacon.

If you put the green path input polarizer into the blue path, the filter built into it will admit mostly green as it was designed to do, and since there's no green there, only blue, your set will likely end up with not enough blue. Try to get the blue path input polarizer back exactly as it was, because if you look closely at its mount, you will see it looks like a saddle, and as you slide it from side to side on the slot, you are actually rotating it a few degrees. This is a factory alignment. Look for marks from the old mounting screw.

This does not however explain the odd symptoms that you have, smear and blob.

You should never dry-wipe any optics. Blow off with canned air, then wipe gently with a qtip wet with alcohol, and dry quickly with a dry qtip. The best alcohol is people quality ethanol, 180 proof, which you can buy in little bottles at the liquor store. Failing that look for 93% isopropryl in the drugstore.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page