Samsung to replace my HL-T6187S, what are suitable replacements? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The power supply crapped out on my Samsung HL-T6187S. They were going to cover the repair under warranty, and the guys came and took the power supply to replace the parts.
I just got a call that said that Samsung no longer makes the parts, and will be contacting me to offer a replacement.

So, my question is, what is a suitable replacement? I love this TV, it has great picture, and color (in part because I had it calibrated by Avical). I don't want to get stuck with a sub-par TV, and want to be aware of which ones to avoid, as well as the ones I should suggest.

Right now I'm terrified they are going to offer me a crappy 32" TV saying that my TV is only worth a few hundred dollars. Anyone have experience with this?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-Sean

Edit: I just called them to see if I can get the ball rolling. Apparently I have to wait 2-3 days for them to call me back, and while they were going to repair it under warranty, I have to pay an out-of-warranty fee for the exchange. Sounds like a BS trade-in scheme frown.gif My fears that I'm going to get stuck with a crappy 32" are unfortunately looking like more and more of a reality. mad.gif

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well, after some digging around, it looks like there was a big class action lawsuit against Samsung regarding the capacitors on the power supply. The lawsuit allowed for people to get reimbursed for having their TVs repaired, and would cover the cost of repairs for people who haven't had the issue.

Well, apparently they decided it was cheaper, and easier to pretend to repair the issue, and then pull this BS exchange nonsense, and actually have ME pay THEM!

The various BBB sites have HUNDREDS of claims against Samsung, and of course every one is closed, many with the "BBB found business made good faith effort to resolve complaint but customer not satisfied with business response"

Bah, this is just another corporate scam to pay for their legal fees! I am SO pissed right now! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI