"Extending" my RPTV screen? Need some help please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I have a Panasonic 46" RPTV that I have been using on my Sim Racing rig for about a year now. The TV is great and the Color is better than most LCD or Plasma TV's I have seen so I would like to stick with the RPTV for as long as I can. The only issue I have, is that I screen is not close enough to me. All the electronic bits that make the TV work are in the bottom section, so I cannot move the TV forward any more than it is. Here is a pic for reference:
100_3471.jpg

The ultimate desired screen position for the perfect FOV is right behind my steering wheel. So last night I started thinking...I have seen people take their screens off and add a larger screen, further away, to make a "Movie Theater" type setup, and I work at a metal shop so this was my Idea:

I want to build a two foot deep box out of aluminum at work, to wrap around the section of the TV where the screen normally goes, and then place the screen itself on the other side of the box, something like
tv.jpg

I have been into the service menu to fine tune the convergence, and I know that I would be able to shrink down the size of the image being projected to actually fit on the further away screen. The only thing I am concerned about is it becoming out of focus.

What do you guys think? Is this even possible, I have owned two RPTV's in my life and one LCD, the Two RPTV's are twice as old as the LCD and the LCD has twice the problems. I love my RPTV But I need my close FOV, HELP GUYS!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

I did another little mockup using MS Paint.

maybe.jpg
post #3 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

There is a problem with screen magnification... Assuming that below the tv screen is the CRT which its image is reflected from a series of mirrors or lenses onto the screen material facing you from seated position.

The closest idea to extend would be to... Open up the bottom end and if possible remove the top section.

Do a test with how the image views seeing it head on. Our RPTV allows image flip and reverse image in the service menu, though there is no practicality for it under normal use.

You may be able to do that and mount it on a stand so that you can view the image from the bottom unit at eye height.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

I just opened up the screen and the whole front end. The image displays very very out of focus when the screen is that far away, but I do see six pots underneith that are hot gluled in place, i'm guessing those are for focus. Kind of debating on weather or not I have the gonads to pull the glue off and start tinkering. If I mess this TV up the wife isn't going to be too happy about either having to buy a new one, or hearing me complain about not being able to race.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

I guess you can not take the back off and see if there is an image that can be seen from lower section. It would be easier than making adjustments to that you have no clue.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech View Post

I guess you can not take the back off and see if there is an image that can be seen from lower section. It would be easier than making adjustments to that you have no clue.

OH I just now and starting to understand what you mean. Instead of having the three cannons project onto a mirror then onto the screen, just have them project straight onto the screen? I can take the back off, but it doesnt look like i'd be able to aim the cannons in any other direction than the one theyre facing. I will take a look at it some more when I get home today. Thanks!

I will also check about being able to take the entire top half off of the TV. But, I am afraid to put those projectors in a different angle, for fear that the fluid in them might leak, or be settled wrong or something.eek.gif
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page