Replacing Light Engine in Mitsubishi WD-73734 - possible to convert to 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a Mitsubishi WD-73734 and I am starting to see a couple of white dots on the screen.

I read that this means the light engine is starting to go bad and should be replaced.

Can I put in a light engine from the WD-73833 (or a later, but compatible 3D model)? If so, will I get its 3D capabilities?

Thanks,
Sridhar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharb View Post

Hi,

I have a Mitsubishi WD-73734 and I am starting to see a couple of white dots on the screen.

I read that this means the light engine is starting to go bad and should be replaced.

Can I put in a light engine from the WD-73833 (or a later, but compatible 3D model)? If so, will I get its 3D capabilities?

Thanks,
Sridhar

You only need to replace the DMD chip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPE9MlonBZg&feature=related

Call Mitsubishi Service. They may pay for all or part of the repair, even though the TV is out of warranty.

The 3D is accomplished through software and the processing circuits, which are separate from the Light Engine.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying the software and processing circuits are all in the DMD chip

Would I need to do anything else than getting a 73833 (the 3D chip) and replace it?

Thanks,
Sridhar
post #4 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharb View Post

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying the software and processing circuits are all in the DMD chip

Would I need to do anything else than getting a 73833 (the 3D chip) and replace it?

Thanks,
Sridhar

No. I am saying that the white dot problem is just a defective DMD chip. TI had a bad run of them in your model year, and Mits has been known for helping out with the cost of replacement.

The 3D issue is a processing issue, which is on an entirely different chassis. If you want 3D, you are better off getting a newer TV. Prices have come down, and you can get a new 73" Mitsubishi for under $1600.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page