Strobing/Flickering issue on Samsung HLS4676S DLP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-23-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Over the past few weeks I've noticed a flickering/strobing on some areas of the screen. I would post a video, but it isn't noticeable on a recording. I've done a lot of searching online and haven't found a definitive solution. I watch a lot of baseball games, and it's most noticeable when the batter is hitting. The flickering occurs along the baselines and against the backstop.

I've had the TV about 6 years now, so far the following has been replaced (main tv, used all the time):

- lamp & color wheel about 5 years ago
-processor/chip?? whatever fixed the "white dots issue", they replaced those parts.
- lamp/bulb again 14 months ago (philips bulb from amazon)

My guesses from doing some research:

-possibly could be the color wheel, even though the tv turns on fine and stays on & there's no "buzzing"
-bulb is running too hot, even though I can see the fan blowing
-bulb is starting to go, and will eventually just need to be replaced.
-or something else that i'm missing?

I'd rather not have to buy a bunch of parts without having it fix the issue...but if internet diagnosing doesn't work, I may have to pony up the $$ mad.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have seen many posts here where the flickering was caused by a failing lamp, or even a new aftermarket lamp. A lamp replacement being the cheapest option, I would recommend changing the lamp before you try anything else.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just replaced the lamp, and the same issue is still there.

This issue doesn't sound like a color wheel problem, as it never buzzes and doesn't have problems turning on ever.

I got this TV 6 years ago for about $900....so I'm hesitant to start throwing down money on more parts and not having it fix the issue.

Does anybody have a general idea on how Samsung repair places are to troubleshoot issues? A new TV may be in my future if it's too expensive to repair...
post #4 of 4 Old 08-08-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by IthacaIsGorges View Post

I just replaced the lamp, and the same issue is still there.

This issue doesn't sound like a color wheel problem, as it never buzzes and doesn't have problems turning on ever.

I got this TV 6 years ago for about $900....so I'm hesitant to start throwing down money on more parts and not having it fix the issue.

Does anybody have a general idea on how Samsung repair places are to troubleshoot issues? A new TV may be in my future if it's too expensive to repair...

Did you replace the lamp with an OEM lamp? Aftermarket lamps are notorious for flickering and other problems.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page