HL61A650 no video after power outage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a server grade ups on my home theater but had a nasty storm yesterday when I wasn't home. Today, no video signals are being displayed but you see the text no signal etc displayed on the TV (in other words the bulb seems ok)

I checked all sources and get no video. I am wondering what the consensus would be on what got fried. I have taken apart a 50" and felt ok about that as long as I don't have to mess with that mirror. Anyone know what part could be hosed and where I could get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Are all the sources connected via HDMI. If so, sounds like the HDMI inputs are toast.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Unless your UPS is designed for AV use, there is no line conditioning suitable for home electronics.

Servers have switching power supplies. Even though your Sammy has a switching power supply, its design is stripped down a bit.

It lacks the ability to shutdown critical circuits during major disruptions, unlike Server and Desktop computers.

I know as I have found a few issues with Sammy LED DLP power supplies. One there is no voltage crowbar or IC shutdown to eliminate unwanted spikes or over-voltage at the switching power IC. The low wattage zeners used fail and can cause higher than normal voltage though the components.

If you can use Component input, if not it means your main board is not fried, and your main power supply is questionable. As most issues come from power supply failure.

I was able to repair my main board, but it was fairly easy compared to having a main chip go from over voltage.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So after really messing around I discovered 1 of the HDMI ports is hosed. The second is flaky. In other words I can get things to display but if I turn on something like enable discovery on the Xbox 360 it gives me a mode not supported. I am testing to see how stable it is but it looks like it isnt dead.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

You might want to do a little more investigation and determine if any of the HDMI ports on the sources are damaged.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Doesn't seem like it. I guess in that regard I am lucky. Here is how it pans out:

HDMI - shot
HDMI 2 - Xbox 360 will work but cannot have enable discovery checked - Directv box will not output sound
HDMI3 - everything works including 3D

So now I have the 360 on HDMI2 with enable discovery off. (If its on I get mode not supported) and Directv on HDMI3, sound is working.

Is this a physical port issue on the set or more of a DMD board type of thing. I guess what I am asking is can I get fix this thing? I imagine a HDMI receiver to my HDMI 3 would give me all my ports back. I started another thread about my sub which took the worst hit. Such a bad day man. Years to build this up and one day when I wasn't home to knock half of it out.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post

Is this a physical port issue on the set...
Sure sounds like it.
Quote:
...or more of a DMD board type of thing.
Doesn't sound like it.
Quote:
...can I get fix this thing?
Sure, it is just a question of cost. You are likely looking at replacing a board. Replacement of surface mounted chips really isn't an option unless you have access to specialized equipment.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, I actually think since my sub is toast and my receiver is showing some symptoms I may pay the deductible on the insurance. I will need to call a repair person, I took apart a 50" dlp before and I am not messing around with that again unless it is really easy. The physical ports themselves are not part of the lighting engine so that I don't even know if that can be replaced or not.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-25-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
If HDMI 3 works, why not just put an HDMI switcher into that port and connect all of your equipment to the switcher? Total cost, about $10:

http://www.amazon.com/Port-HDMI-Pigtail-Switch-Cable/dp/B0030AZ44O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343242974&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+switcher+pigtail
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page