Samsung HLT6176sx/xaa - White Smudges on Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung HLT6176sx/xaa and experienced a problem with a dark and fuzzy picture. The inside had alot of dust so I disassembled the unit and cleaned with a vaccuum and compressed air. The convex mirrors were loaded with dust as well so I carefully cleaned with alcohol and a microfiber cloth.

The picture is much better although I need to align since I removed the entire chasis. The problem that I still have is that on dark scenes, there is an array of white smudges that sort of look like mushrooms. It's not like stuck pixels on the DMD, rather the smudges are 1-2 inches in diameter across the entire screen. Not sure if this is dust on the DMD and if so is this cleanable?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-28-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the absence of advice or guideance, I dug further into the problem.

I called Samsung technical support and immediately they wanted to send someone out to replace the DMD chip free of charge. I tried to explain that I didn't think that it was the chip, but technical support wasn't very technical. It's guess that it's hard to complain when Samsung wants to stand behind their product, but I would have been charged if it wasn't the DMD chip.

I removed DMD board and found dust on the chip and in the optical block. I cleaned the face of the chip with a microfiber cloth, blew out the remaining dust in the optical block, reassembled, aligned, and it's just like brand spanking new.

Just thought I would share for everyone's benefit. Anyone wanting to attempt the same, I highly recommend the viewing the following video and downloading the service manual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K7Jex2iJKvM#!

https://www.completeservicemanuals.com/Samsung/DLP-Projection-Television/HLT6176SX/XAA-Service-Manual/prod_1138.html

Happy trails...
Reply Rear Projection Units