Aware me Samsung HL61A650 vs Mits WD-65638 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my samsung took a hit and the insurance company is offering the WD-65638 as a replacement. Can anyone compare the picture quality of the sets? I cannot find a contrast ratio on the WD-65638 so I was wondering about black levels etc.

The insurance company is telling me these are still made although they are 2010 sets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From the reviews on Cnet, I would not buy the WD-65638. See if they would reimburse you money instead of the replacement.

It would be better to pick a better tv and pay a little extra out of your pocket.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I read those reviews along with tigerdirect, amazon and best buy. Most of the negs are due to the bulb which I am already used to. The insurance company is really scumming me. Because Mits still makes a DLP they are using that cost as my full payout value which is around $1100. I can't touch a 61" for that. If they pay me out it is at a reduced value which isnt even close. To get that value I have to get a new TV.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post

I read those reviews along with tigerdirect, amazon and best buy. Most of the negs are due to the bulb which I am already used to. The insurance company is really scumming me. Because Mits still makes a DLP they are using that cost as my full payout value which is around $1100. I can't touch a 61" for that. If they pay me out it is at a reduced value which isnt even close. To get that value I have to get a new TV.

Tell them you checked, and the 638 series are 2010 models. Tell them you want at least a 2011 model. You can get a 73" (WD-73640) for under $1200, and they can get it cheaper. DLPs are much nicer now and you'll notice the improvement, even if you end up with the 638 series.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #5 of 5 Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah I will do that. That cash out value is $700 so I almost would rather take that and bank it for now with everything coming out in the next few years. Fortunately I have a LCD in the other room that survived. Kind of torn on dealing with DLP again as well. W'ell see.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page