Advice for a CRT junkie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,
As an introduction I must confess I am a CRT junkie. That most likely is because I spent 28 yrs of my adult life working behind the camera in the motion picture industry, working with cinematographers, trying to achieve those images that we all love too reproduce on our big screens. As much as I also love new technology, there is nothing that reproduces a film like look as dose CRT. To me a little extra work getting it right is well worth it.
In 2004 I bought a Mit ws-65613 and was happy w/ that set until the coolant leaked and did what it did. At that point I went for a front projector, a marquee 9500lc. After going through setting this up we decided that we liked the RPTV better, our family room was big enough but just not dark enough and it’s our TV not just a movie projector. So I found a Mit WS-73713 on craigslist and that is now our TV.

There is a QUESTION in all this, thought I’d through that in before you all get board and move on. It is this, if anyone cares to chime in, looking at craigslist periodically there are quite a few 73” Mit’s popping up and looking at the SM’s of the various models it seems there is a difference in the ability to make adjustments especially in the area of geometry. As these sets age, if taken care of, replacing worn-out guns seems to be the only side affect and VDC has that covered. So to my question, out of the 73” Mits is there a model with a better service menu than my WS-73713, my green gun is about spent and I need to replace it, I have a set of guns from another 73” that I can send in to be rebuilt. I was thinking of keeping an eye out for another unit if there was a better model and throwing the new guns in it. Looking at the manuals the ws-73909 has more adjustments say in the jungle than my 713, and after playing with the marquee I kinda miss not being able to get into the corners. Look forward to any comments!

Brian