AVS Forum banner

2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series)

176K views 1K replies 209 participants last post by  MammothTank 
#1 ·
Now that we are beginning to see these being sold and purchased, I felt that we should have our own space to discuss the next phase in Mitsubishi's DLP development. So share your pics, reviews, thoughts and advice. There are new things to discuss like Full HD 3D protocols, going from Clear Contrast to Matte again and the stripped down versions to the Diamond series. As this grows, I will update this post with information on the series to help consolidate the pool of data you guys/gals have to offer.

From the News Release:
Quote:
As part of the 2012 product line, Mitsubishi has added enhancements to its 3D TV capabilities

in the 842 Series. A new built-in Bluetooth RF transmitter, which uses new “Full HD 3D Glasses” TM

format, provides a seamless and vivid 3D experience and increases the number of models and brands

of 3D glasses that can be used with the TV.
Quote:
Mitsubishi Electric Visual Solutions America’s 2012 line-up, including the C12, 642, 742, and 842

Series:

Mitsubishi C12 Series DLP Home Cinema TV. Offers great value and high quality performance in a

73-inch or 82-inch class screen size for $1,599 and $2,599 respectively.

Features include:
  • Brilliant, Bright, Natural, and Game modes
  • 120Hz Sub-Frame Rate
  • Plush1080p®
  • 6-Color ProcessorTM
  • 2 HDMITM inputs
  • HDMITM-PC Compatibility

Mitsubishi 642 Series 3D DLP Home Cinema TV. Offers an immersive 3D experience at a great value in 73-inch or 82-inch class screen sizes for $1,599 and $2,599 respectively.

Features include:
  • The 642 Series adds:
  • Built-in 3DTV—able to receive,
  • decode, and process 3D signals
  • 3D emitter (DLP link & VESA jack)
  • 3 HDMI inputs
  • Advanced video calibration
  • 2D + Depth

Mitsubishi 742 Series 3D DLP Home Cinema TV. A built-in 3D IR emitter, StreamTV with high-def and 3D movies from VUDU, as well as a large library of VUDU apps for sports, news, social media,

and entertainment make this the perfect model for serious TV lovers. The 742 Series comes in 73-inch, 82-inch and 92-inch classes with prices of $1,799, $3,099, and $4,999 respectively.

Features include:
  • The 742 Series adds:
  • Built-in 3D IR emitter
  • Wireless Internet capable
  • StreamTV Internet media, including VUDU apps
  • iPhone, iPod Touch®, iPad remote control app
  • Remote PC Desktop—VNC
  • Clear Contrast Screen (92-inch class only)

Mitsubishi Diamond 842 3D DLP Home Cinema TV. The ultimate in large-screen home

entertainment, the 842 Series includes 73-inch, 82-inch and 92-inch sizes. The 92-inch model also

features a Clear Contrast Screen to further enhance the high-quality viewing of 3D and high-definition

programming content. Priced at $2,199 (73-inch), $3,599 (82-inch) and $5,999 (92-inch), features include:

The 842 Series adds:
  • 16-speaker integrated IST
  • Center channel mode
  • Surround Preouts
  • Variable sub-woofer output
  • Internal 3D Glasses Bluetooth® Emitter
  • Bluetooth® A2DP Audio Streaming
  • PerfectColor™/PerfectTint™
  • ISFccc® Advanced Video Adjustments
  • 4 HDMI inputs
2012 DLP Overview -
2012_Overview_DLP.pdf 478k .pdf file

2012 DLP v47 Service Manual -
Mitsubishi v47_service_manual.pdf 4793k .pdf file

Specification sheets are being tweaked still by Mitsubishi, so use their main site to always have the latest information.

Thanks to OneEyedPony...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedPony  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/0_100#post_22380889

For those interested knowing a little more on the 842 Series... here's Mitsubishi's Sales/Marketing webapp videos with interactive Flash app, when you select features, a video explains that feature. Hope this helps those with questions.
http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_index.asp?page_id=36323378
Mitsubishi WD-92842 Review
September 4, 2012

Mitsubishi has released the 2012 series of their DLP TVs making them the only DLP manufactures in the TV market. When the 92” was revealed, it was met with amazement (at the sheer size for the average home) and wonder [as to if the bulb and “projector“ could properly be shown on such a large output in a small cabinet ( 22.6” depth )]. The same mass production issues with DLP are still present, yet not a prevalent as before (i.e. geometry issues). I have not been able to reproduce those issues at this point, however more tweaking will come which may, or may not, bring it to light. This mini-review will be my journey so far and updated as I go forth for other prospective buyers. As more buy the 2012 models, I expect others to provide their experiences with all of the models.

On August 15th, I ordered the WD-92842 from WALTS after many months of research here and other forums. I visited many stores to see the display in person before making my final decision. I was replacing an 8 year old 61” RCA DLP. The main difference between the 840/842 was the RF (Bluetooth) internal 3D emitter, which is the new Full HD 3D protocol . Since more companies are pushing towards this protocol, I saw it as another positive point to go with the 842. Also the fact that it was the latest release was a factor. Others may not be concerned with any of this when purchasing, which is why there are various options to choose from. (See overview document).

The delivery came without any issues. Two men arrived in a 26’ box truck with my TV sitting right at the door…first delivery of the day. The men thought I would want it ASAP after seeing it was a 92” TV. Guys seem to know what guys want when it comes to these things. Walts repackages the box on a custom pallet which will not fit through a standard doorway. They unboxed it and brought it into the house and room of choice. My wife who would put any Drill Sergeant to shame, directed the men so that they didn’t grab the screen, torque the display nor scratch/hit any part of the TV when they brought it in.
They plugged it in and I tested everything to be working as it should. Take note that the first power on my take a few seconds longer than normal as the light blinks green as it “heats up”. You will see the Mitsubishi logo during boot, which I actually like. I’m sure that will wear thin later. The guys cleaned up the trash and left my home like it was before except with a very huge toy in my den. After the men left, I was able to finish preparing the location for the display. I’m using the same 13” tall stand for my 61” since I haven’t made a final decision on my custom stand. More on that later. My wife, two sons and I lifted the beast up and into position. This display is significantly heavier ( 189lbs )and bulkier than the much lighter 61” it replaced.

The picture right out of the box is so beautiful when compared to my Samsung plasma. I admit that the blacks are not as dark as my plasma, but are much better than my LCD and old DLP. It was very close to the plasma levels though. My wife was amazed at the clarity and size of the people on the TV. She was able to see so many flaws in people’s skin, faces and makeup over the other displays we own. I have read a lot of other posters complain about the brightness levels. I do not have a meter yet, so my reporting is observation only. I do not have it set to bright. I tried it on bright, but the difference was not significant to warrant the decrease in lamp life. The picture is very bright and not overpowering. HD is outstanding on FiOS on all of my TVs. SD is okay, but bad SD/HD is just bad no matter what. I watch a lot of football, which looks great minus the low res broadcasts of Washington Redskins. Luckily I’m a Panthers fan. Golf was crazy. I was able to count the blades of grass and debris on the green and in the ruff.

I have an Oppo 93 connected for streaming, Blu-ray and 3D playback. I use the XPand X104 Youniversal glasses with RF dongles . The video playback was flawless and better than the theaters I visited this past year. The 3D was superb with no ghosting. The sync was constant even when I stepped outside for a UPS delivery of more movies. I admit that I had a learning curve to overcome. The 3D option on the Mits is not on by default. The power button is small on the glasses, but the Mits makes it easy with the onscreen confirmations as I sync’d the five pairs of glasses. Amazingly I noticed flaws on my Samsung plasma albeit with different player (Samsung vs Oppo) and glasses (Samsung vs. XPand).

The included Vudu apps streaming package was quick and easy to maneuver through. Every device in my theater has streaming so I may not ever use it. Just in case, I did connect an audio out from the TV to my Onkyo HT-S9400THX . There isn’t much to say here since if you have seen one you have a good idea of them all.

The 16 speaker bar is very nice. I used it for two days until I connected my Onkyo. If one doesn’t have a surround system, then don’t worry about it right away as Mits did a good job on this speaker bar. I didn’t setup the bar as a center channel, since I have a competent center channel already.

The firmware was outdated but would not automatically update even after following the steps listed to make it update via network. I have all of my devices hardwired to my network for best performance. I had version 14.02 installed. At the time of this review, the latest is 14.04 . I have yet to find a change log. I downloaded it to a formatted thumb drive and followed the instructions. First attempt led to an incompatible thumb drive (IBM). The second one eventually was recognized (Cruzer?). It became stuck on the blinking light for over 5 minutes after I plugged in the power. I had to leave the drive plugged in, disconnected the power for 1 minute and try again. You will find this in the Firmware Upgrade Instruction Guide , which shows that it is a known issue so be aware. I have yet to notice any visual changes.

In the coming weeks, I plan on doing video tweaks using my Oppo 93 and Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Edition disc. I am also going to test it out with more movie discs to see if there are any noticeable issues. If more is desired, then feel free to post here and I will see what I can do.

Pictures of my Beauty and the Beast in progress...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The 92842 still has the CCS. However they went back to the matte on the others due to glare...per a Mits Rep. I rather control my lighting, than to deal with another matte screen like my old DLP...to each his own. I'm actually waiting for a call to schedule the delivery of my 92842. I've been up all night finishing some painting. After some more coffee out comes the drill so I can run some cables to my new location.

#4 ·
im guessing they made the 80 and 90 inch models with gloss sceens cause they were pretty much always used in dedicated home theator rooms and not your average living room,Now that sharp is doing the 80 inch,its more common place to have a tv this large in a good sized living room with windows and usual lighting. This is prolly why they are making the 80 matte screen this yr....makes sense,the clear screen has major glare in most any lighting other than overhead low lighting..

#5 ·
Good observation and point. Plus with more open room concepts in homes now with more natural lighting, I can see now why matte is a growing need and why it is only on the 92" in the 842 series. I guess that if one is going to go for the 92", then they are willing to ensure it is in the space best suited for it.

#6 ·
Well, I have all of my ordered items, except my 92842 which will not be delivered until Monday. They called today to setup the white glove delivery. I will provide an update and mini pre-review at that time.

#9 ·
Sorry for being absent for a bit. I'm still updating my den for the Mits.When I was shopping for a Mits, I did a search in the gallery, some one off threads and the 2011 for random pics. Also some have posted vids on Youtube which helped with size in real homes.What in particular are you looking to be addressed by pics? Mine will be here in another 7-10 hrs...maybe I can help?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series#post_22347316

i just want to see what they look like inside the average home, They dont look that big in the large stores they are displayed in..We all know how much diff they look in the average size den or livin room

I will take a picture of mine later...still setting up and running cables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series#post_22347379

i am thinking about getting the MITS WD73742 .

Any thing i should know before i do?

any known problems with this model?

how 's the PQ?

Thanks

I am quite amazed over the quality of the picture out of the box. I will be testing the RF 3D tonight (glasses are charging while I work). One thing to know is to have a stand at the correct height (based off your measurements to put your eyes at center.

#13 ·
can't wait to see your updates, have been following this series (640, 740) on its own avs forum,

this newer version is on my short list of tvs to consider for my own purchase. have a really bright

tv room so matte screen is a big consideration for my list of possible selections, thanx for all your

help and info, best of luck with your new purchase, mike d

#14 ·
I have seating on both sides of tv for guests that I dont want to crowd out with a too large tv,We never watch tv with guests over other than sunday football once in a while. Im prolly gonna get ride of the large infinity studio monitor speakers in favor of something less obtrusive and modern looking..I feel like this whole setup looks kinda 1980s with huge front channel speakers.

this is my 67 sammy setup,from both perspectives,one from the couch at around 12ft and the other from the kitchen prospective at about 24ft away.Trying to decide between the 72 or 82 to replace it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#15 ·
For your setup, I would go for the 73" for best fit or if I wanted to push it a bit, then the 82" is prime. Like you said, I think the tower speakers are overkill (looks only, but if you are an audiophile, then keep them) and may need a smaller sized 5.1/7.1 setup. I have seating for 6 in my room. I should have a picture up by this weekend...still mounting speakers and modifying the entertainment center...92" is huge and takes up 75% of my wall space.
Since I turned it on, I can't keep everyone out of the room for some Daddy time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledok  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/0_100#post_22349875

can't wait to see your updates, have been following this series (640, 740) on its own avs forum,

this newer version is on my short list of tvs to consider for my own purchase. have a really bright

tv room so matte screen is a big consideration for my list of possible selections, thanx for all your

help and info, best of luck with your new purchase, mike d

I'm still testing the Bluetooth 3D glasses feature today. I had to overcome some learning curve issues, but the Xpands with RF dongle are awesome. I haven't tweaked the video with my M&S bluray yet. I'm waiting until I can get my rear/L/R surrounds mounted. The wifey is demanding I take today off since I have been working off of only 1-2 hour sleep for the past 8 days. I can say that the 3D is just as good as my Plasma with no visible defects (Lorax). Even the viewing angles are vastly improved over my 7 y/o DLP which this replaced.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series#post_22350971

I have seating on both sides of tv for guests that I dont want to crowd out with a too large tv,We never watch tv with guests over other than sunday football once in a while. Im prolly gonna get ride of the large infinity studio monitor speakers in favor of something less obtrusive and modern looking..I feel like this whole setup looks kinda 1980s with huge front channel speakers.

this is my 67 sammy setup,from both perspectives,one from the couch at around 12ft and the other from the kitchen prospective at about 24ft away.Trying to decide between the 72 or 82 to replace it.

/quote]

IMHO, your speakers are probably fine. However, they are too low. Your tweeters should be at ear height while you're sitting down.

BTW, your kitchen looks to be gorgeous with that nice modern architectural hood.

#17 ·
enthuzist... sounds like you are very happy with the mits,Im leaning towards the 82 right now cause the space feels so much bigger since ive opened it up. post your pics when you get a chance.

allargon....The speakers prolly could be raised a bit but then they would be all the more obtrusive,they are pressing it as is. Id like to get some speakers that take up less space from the front,like some def techs or polks. I do remodeling for as a business so I went all out on this kitchen,I opened up the living room and kitchen with a eat in dining room all into one large room for a open concept feel,the kitchen assumed the the eat in portion and became a much longer huge galley style kitchen, a large island with seating to eat in.full bar,wine racks and sep wine cooler,dual convection ovens induction cooktop,built in fridge.

The hood and most other things are made by electrolux,they make alot of nice looking architectural appliances

The main reason im contemplating the size of the tv and speakers is the overall look im trying to achieve in the space,with it opened up like this.Its very visible in so much of the house. I changed the texture and color on all the walls to a mild knock down look and the floor to a nice rich deep colored brazilian 5 inch tiger wood. When I bought this house it was 1980s fabulous,I lived with it for a while before I redid everything,so im trying to get everything to look more modern and up to date.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/0_100#post_22351842

hows the PQ with blurays?

On par with my new Samsung Plasma in my bedroom.

#20 ·
Has anyone measured the black levels from year to year? Like they do in the plasma threads? I wonder how much they've improved over the years (we have a 737) and whatever happened with the "Iris" they used to have in the Diamond series?

#22 ·
Yes. Should be tomorrow. I have been getting my son's class schedule straight the past 48 hrs and picking up his supplies...the last kid to push out the door soon!
I'm heading out the door for a big dinner where I'm one of the honorees. I may be too tired when I return tonight, but I will be up early so be on the lookout.

P.S. I also had to overcome a FW issue, but it was well documented by Mitsubishi. I will discuss that in more detail too.

#24 ·
Just received my new WD-73C12 yesterday and I am thrilled! It replaces my 6+ years old Samsung 46" DLP...huge difference going from 720 to 1080. The stand I got from a friend...all it cost me was lunch.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series#post_22362271

Just received my new WD-73C12 yesterday and I am thrilled! It replaces my 6+ years old Samsung 46" DLP...huge difference going from 720 to 1080. Thowhe stand I got from a friend...all it cost me was lunch.

how much did u buy it for it u don't mind me asking?

#26 ·
Hello everyone.

I'm also looking to buy a 92" too. Originally looking at 92840 for the price (~$2500 delivered). But since it'll be in my living room facing out to a 9'x4' window, I wonder if the 92842 will help reduce the glare?!

By reading the specs for the two (92840 & 92842), both have "clear contrast screen". But some of you said the 842 has matt screen. So please help me clarify.

Also, Enthuzist, would you mind telling me how much you got yours from Walts? Oh, did you take some pictures/videos for your new setup yet?
I'm anxious to see how your den looks.

Is there any Labor Day sale/package deals (with glasses) that any one's aware of?

Thank you

Nhi