2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1236 Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Plus you also don;t know when stock on these is ging to run dry since they are discontinuing them. Maybe try Walt's instead? Thats who we got our Mits from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1236 Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my 742 today,great picture.only problem is when I switch to 3D channel on Directv there is a message"this program cannot be viewed because this tv is not 3D capable".Please help.thanx
post #453 of 1236 Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus71 View Post

Got my 742 today,great picture.only problem is when I switch to 3D channel on Directv there is a message"this program cannot be viewed because this tv is not 3D capable".Please help.thanx

Did you manually turn 3d on in the menu? It might be using directv that the tv cannot auto detect it, and needs you to manually make the change yourself.
post #454 of 1236 Old 12-14-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikif6 View Post

It's going to be a month since I ordered the TV. If this comes defective or damaged again, I am going to have to really consider cancelling my order or drive 3-4hrs each way out of state to a Pauls store and just buy it at the store, borrow my dads van, and haul it myself. Or accept the delivery regardless (if theres no damage, just defective) and call warranty as that might be faster than waiting for them to ship it back to the warehouse, notifying pauls tv, a replacement order to be placed upon confirmation tv is back in warehouse, and then waiting another week for delivery!!
See my post, I really recommend Onecall, the price was about the same but the shipper they used was far better.
post #455 of 1236 Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 AM

Thank you,I'l try to do that.I checked Automatic in 3D Menu.
post #456 of 1236 Old 12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Also you get that message if the Directv box HDMI is going through an AVR that does not support Directv 3D. If you have an older AVR that does not support 3D, try connecting the Directv directly to the TV.
post #457 of 1236 Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 AM

Too many horror stories from Walt's...Pauls Pilot freight guys were great, and since I was nice to them, they put the TV on my stand, waited for me to hook everything up and check it out for several minutes.

Note: Isn't it amazing how prices on these have popped up ever since they announced they were not making them anymore? Supply and demand, I suppose, plus some real greed from retailers.
post #458 of 1236 Old 12-14-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Also you get that message if the Directv box HDMI is going through an AVR that does not support Directv 3D. If you have an older AVR that does not support 3D, try connecting the Directv directly to the TV.

It's going directly to TV.I'm also wandering about HDMI that goes from the Dierctv box????
post #459 of 1236 Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Reboot the Direct TV box with the TV turned on.
post #460 of 1236 Old 12-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Is anybody using a custom remote control system with an IR flasher to control their Mits TV?

I'm getting some strange results. When I send a IR command from the remote itself, I can control the TV perfectly. When I send the same IR command to a base station with IR flashers, I cannot control the Mits TV (WD-82742) at all. I know the IR receiver is inside the TV just in front of the DLP lamp. I initially placed IR emitter inside the TV (through one of the port holes on the side) and didn't have any success. So I then placed the IR flasher about 1 inch in front of the screen (in all locations on the screen) and still no success. I've tried with with two different control system (different manufacturer) and I get the same result: I can control it when IR is sent from the remote, I cannot control it when IR is send from base station with a flasher. Very strange.
post #461 of 1236 Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 PM

Stopped in a local Aarons today to see if they had the 73742 in stock but they only had the 73 and 82640. They wanted $1500 for the 73 and when I asked if they carried the 742 series he said they stopped because of a manufacturing defect with the lamp housing or something like that. He said it was held in by 2 screws and that it had a tendency to just fall so they stopped carrying that model. Has anyone heard of this? I got the feeling he was just making it up because he didn't seem to know the difference between the 640 and 742 series and said the only difference was an ethernet port. I didn't stay to argue.
post #462 of 1236 Old 12-15-2012, 08:36 AM

That sounds like smoke and mirrors to me to get you to buy into what they had in stock. Why not just order it onl;ine from Paul's or Walt's, since it has to be delivered anyway, and they will give you the best prices?
post #463 of 1236 Old 12-15-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Aarons typically only carries the lower end models (C11, C12, 640, 642). I don't think they generate a lot of sales on the higher end models. I'm almost sure that this Aarons never even had the 740/742 series models at the store.

lujan
657 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #464 of 1236 Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I just purchased a 92842 from Paul's yesterday after hearing the bad news that Mitsubishi was not going to sell DLPs after this year. I had been waiting for the 92" sets to go down in price but now that won't happen because they'll probably be harder to find? I'm also finding it hard to find the 92842's at online vendor sites as well.

Just took delivery of the 92842 model TV yesterday (a day earlier than expected) and I'm loving it so far. Quick question, since I've never had the bluetooth type 3D glasses and they should get here today, was it hard to set up? The manual (page 22) says:

1. Before you view 3D content, pair the RF 3D glasses with the internal RF emitter.The pairing starts when you press the POWER button on the glasses for more than 2 seconds within 1.5 feet from the TV.

2. A message is displayed saying that the pairing has been completed.

3. Connect the source device to the HDMI input on the TV.

4. When the New Device Found screen is displayed, name the input.

5. Press EXIT to close the New Device Found screen.

I'm confused about steps 3, 4, and 5. I have only one device connected to the TV and it's an AVR which is already recognized by the TV as HDMI 1. This would seem to me that I don't have to do steps 3, 4, and 5, correct. Do I only have to do steps 1 and 2 and all should be completed? Also, my 3D settings are:

Source Format: Automatic
Glasses Emitter: Internal: Standard - External:Standard
DLP Link: Off

Should it all work find after doing the above steps and the settings as they are?

Thanks

lujan
657 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #465 of 1236 Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Just took delivery of the 92842 model TV yesterday (a day earlier than expected) and I'm loving it so far. Quick question, since I've never had the bluetooth type 3D glasses and they should get here today, was it hard to set up? The manual (page 22) says:
1. Before you view 3D content, pair the RF 3D glasses with the internal RF emitter.The pairing starts when you press the POWER button on the glasses for more than 2 seconds within 1.5 feet from the TV.
I'm confused about steps 3, 4, and 5. I have only one device connected to the TV and it's an AVR which is already recognized by the TV as HDMI 1. This would seem to me that I don't have to do steps 3, 4, and 5, correct. Do I only have to do steps 1 and 2 and all should be completed? Also, my 3D settings are:
Should it all work find after doing the above steps and the settings as they are?
Thanks

I have the 82842 so ours should work the same. What kind of glasses did you buy? I purchased the Active 3D ones. My setup was pretty simple. I pressed the power button, once it turned solid blue, I held it down until it began blinking, once the blinking stopped, turned them on and the television detected them right away (while I was watching a 3D channel, not actually on the bluetooth input).

Just a side note.... I tried this several times with the glasses right up close to the television and it did not sync. Once I sat on my couch, it then recognized it following the instructions I posted (that are in the manual of the 3D glasses).

To answer your question, if your television is set to automatic (as you stated), you should just follow the instructions that came with your 3D glasses. Mine were specifically for the 842 series, so the instructions were spot on.

Hope that helps.
post #466 of 1236 Old 12-15-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks jasonmc, unfortunately the glasses did not come in today's mail so I'll have to wait until next week sometime to try. I'll use DLP link tonight since I already have a pair of those glasses that I use for another Mitsubishi TV.

lujan
657 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #467 of 1236 Old 12-15-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareee View Post

That sounds like smoke and mirrors to me to get you to buy into what they had in stock. Why not just order it onl;ine from Paul's or Walt's, since it has to be delivered anyway, and they will give you the best prices?

I plan to, my wife and I just happened to be near by and I saw them advertising Mitsubishi DLPs in the window so I stepped in to see what they had.
post #468 of 1236 Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmc View Post

I have the 82842 so ours should work the same. What kind of glasses did you buy? I purchased the Active 3D ones. My setup was pretty simple. I pressed the power button, once it turned solid blue, I held it down until it began blinking, once the blinking stopped, turned them on and the television detected them right away (while I was watching a 3D channel, not actually on the bluetooth input).
Just a side note.... I tried this several times with the glasses right up close to the television and it did not sync. Once I sat on my couch, it then recognized it following the instructions I posted (that are in the manual of the 3D glasses).
To answer your question, if your television is set to automatic (as you stated), you should just follow the instructions that came with your 3D glasses. Mine were specifically for the 842 series, so the instructions were spot on.
Hope that helps.

The syncing of the glasses (BT) is very simple. Just connect your BD to the TV directly or via your 3D capable AV receiver. Launch the 3D disc or file...sync your glasses....some say to be within 2 ft, however like jasonmc stated I have also found it just as easy to press the glasses button from my seat and they work fine. It is weird that I can keep sync even when I go to the kitchen for a snack refill.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #469 of 1236 Old 12-16-2012, 02:15 PM

Liked: 11
Hi everyone, I am the new ownder of a WD-92742! I took delivery earlier in the week from Amazon.com. This TV is simply huge!

I am replacing a 61" Samsung DLP (S6187W) that I had for over 6 years without any issues or bulb replacements. I have to say that while I love the giant size of the new Mitsu, the overall picture quality seems like a step down from my old Samsung. The picture just is not as vibrant as it was with the Sammie.

I've tried the various pre-loaded picture settings and tried tweaking my own custom settings but just can't get it to what I was used to. I even set the bulb energy level to "bright" instead of "standard" which helped but not by much.

Now I am wondering if maybe I got a bad bulb? I know the picture quality is going to very subjective based on the person looking at it but does anyone know if there are any simple tests that can be performed?

Thanks in advance.
post #470 of 1236 Old 12-16-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Give the set some time to break in. A good couple hundred hours or so of use should do wonders for it.

BTW if anyone finds a smokin hot deal on an 82" could you please post your find? With these things being killed off this might be my last chance to get an 82". mad.gif

THANKS!!!!!! smile.gif

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #471 of 1236 Old 12-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone know of a place to download the service manual for the 2012 DLP's? I found one for my old 65C9 but can't seem to google my way to the new one.
post #472 of 1236 Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 PM
g4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Does anyone know of a place to download the service manual for the 2012 DLP's? I found one for my old 65C9 but can't seem to google my way to the new one.
Here you go http://www.matthilton.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/mitsubishi_v47_service_manual.pdf
post #473 of 1236 Old 12-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prahan21 View Post

Hello everyone,
I am considering buying the 742 as my first DLP set, and I am coming from a Samsung LCD, and have a few questions. Will I notice the 742 as being significantly duller? Would LED backlighting help? Also how is gaming on this set? Is there any noticeable lag when gaming?
Also amazon lists the weight of the 73 inch as only 75 pounds which seems quite light. Is the setup for the 73 inch set very doable with one or two people? Thanks in advance.

I went from the Vizio XVT553, 55 in back lit LED with local diming. 2 yrs ago it was in Cnets top 5 otherwise I would have never considered a Vizio, Vizio is the Samsing/LG of the mid 90's make a reliable product cheap, get brand recognition and then challenge the big boys. I wrote off DLP's years ago, it was only seeing the Frys add with the 73" for $800 that got me looking at a DLP. Read these forums and people were so happy with theirs I ordered sight unseen from Pauls TV. Little bit of a gamble huh.......to answer your question, "is it duller?" there is a bright setting and brilliant so you can get the LED/LCD look. I have mine on natural as I had to screw around with the settings using Avia and the THX Disney settings disc on the Miracle DVD to get a LED/LCD to look more "natural". The Mits has a natural setting. I think the picture is the best I have ever seen right out of the box and will calibrate in a bit when the Pats/49ers game is over but I dont know that I will be able to do any better......it's that good. I will mark all factory settings and use my 2 discs. I just dont tihnk there is much to adjust on it. I have been searching for someone elses settings as a baseline and have not come up with any, or they are for a older model.
post #474 of 1236 Old 12-16-2012, 09:24 PM

post #475 of 1236 Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Awesome, thank you. I've got a little pincushion on the bottom right corner I was thinking about trying to adjust.
post #476 of 1236 Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post

Hi everyone, I am the new ownder of a WD-92742! I took delivery earlier in the week from Amazon.com. This TV is simply huge!
I am replacing a 61" Samsung DLP (S6187W) that I had for over 6 years without any issues or bulb replacements. I have to say that while I love the giant size of the new Mitsu, the overall picture quality seems like a step down from my old Samsung. The picture just is not as vibrant as it was with the Sammie.
I've tried the various pre-loaded picture settings and tried tweaking my own custom settings but just can't get it to what I was used to. I even set the bulb energy level to "bright" instead of "standard" which helped but not by much.
Now I am wondering if maybe I got a bad bulb? I know the picture quality is going to very subjective based on the person looking at it but does anyone know if there are any simple tests that can be performed?
Thanks in advance.

It might just be that since the TV is so huge and it's filling the same amount of resolution on a larger screen, that it's not going to ever look as good as a 61" screen. It might only look as good when going to 4k resolution. I went from 62 to 65 to 73 to 82 to 92 so it was gradual and not all at once like you did. I also had the 73 and 82" TV's calibrated and when the 92" TV gets the necessary burn-in hours, I'll have that one calibrated as well.

lujan
657 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #477 of 1236 Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

It might just be that since the TV is so huge and it's filling the same amount of resolution on a larger screen, that it's not going to ever look as good as a 61" screen. It might only look as good when going to 4k resolution. I went from 62 to 65 to 73 to 82 to 92 so it was gradual and not all at once like you did. I also had the 73 and 82" TV's calibrated and when the 92" TV gets the necessary burn-in hours, I'll have that one calibrated as well.

I've been thinking of getting my 82840 calibrated but wasn't sure if it would be worth it. Did you notice much of an improvement in your picture afterwards? My main focal points would be black levels with shadow detail, color and screen geometry. Can you comment on how those were improved. I agree about 4K. I think once you go above 70" or so, it would make a huge difference. When watching movies on my 82", I sit back and think how much more detailed and crisp it would look at 4K.

post #478 of 1236 Old 12-17-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I think that a calibration is much more worth it than getting something such as the Darbee. The calibration adds to the clarity of the picture in my opinion but calibration mileage will vary just like the mileage of people using the Darbee. It's all subjective.

lujan
657 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #479 of 1236 Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I didn't know that DLPs had a "burn in" period before reaching desired picture quality. Is this normal and what exactly is burning in? Just curious, thanks!
post #480 of 1236 Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I was told to wait until the TV is at around 200 hours before having a calibration done. I'm assuming that there is some sort of stabilization that needs to occur during this initial period of use.

lujan
657 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Wd 73c12 73 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Dlp Home Cinema Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page