2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^^^

I'm pretty sure they are IR only.

Lloyd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya00 View Post

I know this has been discussed by BrianHerb, but I recently got my WD73642 and when watching letterbox movies there are very noticeable halos (similar to clouding but it changes depending on the picture) above the movies in the top half of the image. This is also noticeable on full screen movies with high-contract shots with lots of black in the picture.
Is there any solution to this or meaningful feedback from Mitsubishi?

I am also very curious about this. I have the same issue and can live with it, but sure would be nice to know if there is a fix for it.. and or if it exists in the other models. I have the 73c12. Should I call warranty repair out on this issue? It seems like people who ask this question just fade away without a resolution. Can we get a definitive answer?
post #633 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Liked: 10
I'm hoping to grab a 73742 this weekend or next, what warranty is suggested with these sets?
post #634 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 646
I've been flipping back and forth about an extended warranty. If you have a Costo membership you can get a 3 year(takes effect after manufacturer warranty ends) squaretrade waranty for under $100.

But I think now I am going to go with the 5 year Squaretrade warranty from Amazon. It covers the four years after the manufacturers 1 year warranty expires. If I was already a member of Costco I would just go with their warranty, but since I'm not, I'm going to opt for the longer warranty even though there is a higher upfront cost.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #635 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought a Mack 5-year warranty for mine at significantly less cost than the Amazon offering. Got it on Ebay

Lloyd
post #636 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 PM

Any advice appreciated. Just ordered the WD-73742 from Paul's TV for $1199.00 and a gift card included for $250.00 (Not sure about the gift card yet). Also ordered and received the WiFi dongle as well as a pair of MITSUBISHI-Compatible 3D Glasses from Dimensional Optics,rechargeable. TWIN-PACK off amazon for $100.00.

TV should be here should be be here on 01/09/2013.

I have plenty of room for this set and I thought it was the most "bang for the buck".

Currently have a 5.1 Harmon Kardon system. Non HDMI, so I will use the digital out from TV to drive the surround system. I will up grade when I get a chance to look at latest systems. .

Anybody have experience using the VNC function. Is it similar to DLNA?

I have about 4 TB of movies and music on my computer, I would like to interface/stream.

Any advice on settings/calibrations? I have the AVS 709 disk, as well as the standard Blue Ray/THX disk, with blue glasses.

Thanks
post #637 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I ended up returning my Darblet because I was having issues with the TV finding a new device everyday and then the 3D not working when I chose a device. Also, didn't notice much of a difference in video quality to warrant the $300.00 cost.
I'm waiting for the 2nd GEN Darbee Fidelio if and a big IF, they considerably lower the current est. retail price of $2K. That should extend the usage of my 82842 for a few years... until 4K moves into the mainstream and priced accordingly. .

Don't B Sharp... Don't B Flat... B Natural!
post #638 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

I bought a Mack 5-year warranty for mine at significantly less cost than the Amazon offering. Got it on Ebay

Do you have a link? IS it transferable?

I think I had a MAck warranty for my first DLP set. But I never used it. How do Mack warranties differ from Square trade Warranties?

EDIT: yes it was a Mack warranty I had. But I see there was also a bulb warranty. Do these Mack warranties also have bulb coverage?

LED DLP

post #639 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Do you have a link? IS it transferable?
I think I had a MAck warranty for my first DLP set. But I never used it. How do Mack warranties differ from Square trade Warranties?
EDIT: yes it was a Mack warranty I had. But I see there was also a bulb warranty. Do these Mack warranties also have bulb coverage?

One thing you might all want to be aware of is the, squaretrade warranty fine print reads in a way that indicates that the total coverage of all combined service repairs is only equivalent to the total original cost of the tv/warranty tv value. And they have the option to pay the _remaining_ balance to you instead of repairing the tv if they choose. If they perform two repairs for $400 each, the third they could just choose to pay cash - minus the repair costs already done. So lets say you paid 1100 for the tv, had two repairs they value at $400, if you needed another repair they may just give you 1100-800=$300 cash to go buy another tv. So it really isn't solid coverage from the standpoint you can't expect them to make it right or buy you an equivalent tv. Each service visit reduces the remaining value of the warranty. I would assume most people wouldn't need that many repairs, but this is still good to be aware of.
vivatech likes this.
post #640 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeavsjoe View Post

One thing you might all want to be aware of is the, squaretrade warranty fine print reads in a way that indicates that the total coverage of all combined service repairs is only equivalent to the total original cost of the tv/warranty tv value. And they have the option to pay the _remaining_ balance to you instead of repairing the tv if they choose. If they perform two repairs for $400 each, the third they could just choose to pay cash - minus the repair costs already done. So lets say you paid 1100 for the tv, had two repairs they value at $400, if you needed another repair they may just give you 1100-800=$300 cash to go buy another tv. So it really isn't solid coverage from the standpoint you can't expect them to make it right or buy you an equivalent tv. Each service visit reduces the remaining value of the warranty. I would assume most people wouldn't need that many repairs, but this is still good to be aware of.

I thought most third party warranties worked that way?

I remember now where I got my Mack warranty before. It was here through AVS. We got a discount for being an AVS member from Tapeworks but it was a four year extended warranty and 3 year bulb replacement. Although I'm sure I can do without the bulb replacement warranty since I've never needed to replace a bulb in my DLP sets before.(of course I just jinxed myself)

I see some places online that have the 5 year Mack warranties for $150. So far the big difference I see between the Mack warranty and the Square trade warranty(other than price) is that the Mack warranty is not transferable.

Thanks lparsons21.

I think I might get the Mack 5 year warranty from Adorama for a TV costing under $1750. Or maybe Beach Camera. If the 82" I got was under $1500 the warranty would have been even less.

EDIT: I ended up going the ebay route for the five year Mack warranty.

LED DLP

post #641 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I didn't think Mack did warranties on DLP any longer - you might want to check that. All the ones I saw say LCD and Plasma, no mention of any other type.
post #642 of 1237 Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 PM

There are coupons for squaretrade that can be found on www.retailmenot.com I think that's the route I'll be going as Mack only seems to cover LCD/Plasma.
post #643 of 1237 Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

I found a bunch of mack warranties that listed DLP for coverage. Even ones that covered bulb replacement for DLP.

LED DLP

post #644 of 1237 Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhpns View Post

Any advice appreciated. Just ordered the WD-73742 from Paul's TV for $1199.00 and a gift card included for $250.00 (Not sure about the gift card yet). Also ordered and received the WiFi dongle as well as a pair of MITSUBISHI-Compatible 3D Glasses from Dimensional Optics,rechargeable. TWIN-PACK off amazon for $100.00.
TV should be here should be be here on 01/09/2013.
I have plenty of room for this set and I thought it was the most "bang for the buck".
Currently have a 5.1 Harmon Kardon system. Non HDMI, so I will use the digital out from TV to drive the surround system. I will up grade when I get a chance to look at latest systems. .
Anybody have experience using the VNC function. Is it similar to DLNA?
I have about 4 TB of movies and music on my computer, I would like to interface/stream.
Any advice on settings/calibrations? I have the AVS 709 disk, as well as the standard Blue Ray/THX disk, with blue glasses.
Thanks

I have the 92742 and even though it has networking capabilities, it is not for streaming, it only works for pictures. I'm not sure about the music part though...
post #645 of 1237 Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeavsjoe View Post

I am also very curious about this. I have the same issue and can live with it, but sure would be nice to know if there is a fix for it.. and or if it exists in the other models. I have the 73c12. Should I call warranty repair out on this issue? It seems like people who ask this question just fade away without a resolution. Can we get a definitive answer?

I was hoping this wasn't an issue any more as I have a 73C9 and a 73742 being delivered next week. In the 73C9, there is a cross member inside the tv attached to the top of the cabinet, probably for structure support, that seems to reflect part of the picture back onto the screen from the inside. Had a repair guy out right after getting the C9 and mitsubishi wouldn't do anything about it. About the only thing you can do, is to affix some type of non reflective material to the support, but that would mean taking off the screen, which I was never brace enough to do. I does seem to diminish in time, maybe dust coats it, that it isn't a big issue now, but I was hoping they had fixed it on newer models.
post #646 of 1237 Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhulett View Post

I was hoping this wasn't an issue any more as I have a 73C9 and a 73742 being delivered next week. In the 73C9, there is a cross member inside the tv attached to the top of the cabinet, probably for structure support, that seems to reflect part of the picture back onto the screen from the inside. Had a repair guy out right after getting the C9 and mitsubishi wouldn't do anything about it. About the only thing you can do, is to affix some type of non reflective material to the support, but that would mean taking off the screen, which I was never brace enough to do. I does seem to diminish in time, maybe dust coats it, that it isn't a big issue now, but I was hoping they had fixed it on newer models.

I seem to remember years ago that it was recommended to line the interior of Pioneer RPTVs with Duvetyne to eliminate internal reflections. I believe some professional calibrators even included this as as optional service they could provide.

Could a similar solution apply to Mitsubishi DLPs?
post #647 of 1237 Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post

I seem to remember years ago that it was recommended to line the interior of Pioneer RPTVs with Duvetyne to eliminate internal reflections. I believe some professional calibrators even included this as as optional service they could provide.
Could a similar solution apply to Mitsubishi DLPs?

My calibrator did that to my HD RP CRT set I had in the early 2000's and also to a 2005 1080P DLP set I had. It made a big difference and basically eliminated the reflections and really helped the black levels. I'm not going to be trying that myself. There didn't seem to be too much involved with it but you do need to remove the screens to gain access to the interior. And cut the Duvetyne to the correct sizes and apply it to the interior. Although I would not feel comfortable doing that myself.

But I know that with the HD RP CRT and Samsung DLP set it made a huge difference. Although that cabinet was not painted black on the interior to cut down on reflections. Are the Mitsubishis a dark color on the inside?

I did my first auto calibration yesterday with my iScan DUo and Chromapure. My 82672 is producing a very nice picture right now. That plus the Darblet is giving me a better picture than I have seen with any of my previous DLP sets. OF course the DLP chip in these is supposed to be better as well. My last DLP set was the Sammy LED DLP from 2008. Which was very nice since it didn't have a color wheel but still had an older DLP chip. My plan at the time was to wait until Samsung came out with a larger set with LED lighting. But Samsung got out of the DLP market after that year so then I figured that might be my last DLP set. But when Mitsubishi announced they were getting out and the prices fell like a rock, I decided to get one. I am certainly glad I did. Plus I'm really liking the 3D content, especially with the Darblet in place. I've been watching some 3D content every day and been enjoying it.

LED DLP

post #648 of 1237 Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I did the same with my old Toshiba 65H81. Took off the screen and painted most of the interior with a flat black paint. But that tv's innards were made of wood. Whereas our current TV's are primarily black plastic? That was the point of taking the screens off back then and darkening up the insides to help absorb the light. May not really be an option in this day and age I guess.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #649 of 1237 Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM

The idea of lining the inside of the television sounds quite interesting. I wonder if the higher-end models already have the lining and maybe they left it out on the lower end ones. Doubtful I suppose. I partly think a possiblity is that some light is also bouncing off the back of the screen back toward the mirror and then back out offset a few inches higher back onto the screen... But it would be preferable if it was cabinet or cross-member reflection, since that woudl be fixable. I am quite curious about this lining idea, since I feel my television is perfect otherwise, but the above-glow on the top 1/4 of the screen sometimes disctracts me away from what I am watching.. smile.gif
post #650 of 1237 Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhulett View Post

Let us know if you notice it at all with the new model when you get it. smile.gif
post #651 of 1237 Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM

Received my 82742 from Paul's TV Saturday. Home Direct delivered and I couldn't have been happier with the service I received. This TV replaced my four year old 75735, which I really enjoyed. This TV is beautiful. Love the picture right out of the box. Thought maybe the size would be too much but I was dead wrong. It is perfect. Would like to ask if anyone has had their TV professionally calibrated? If so, how were the results and what did you pay. One note. My receiver and the TV would not communicate with HDMI cable. Figured out you have to use a high speed HDMI cable when connecting. All good now.
post #652 of 1237 Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

I just recieved my 642 three days ago...very nice!

Question:

Does anyone have a full calibration setting for this DLP?

Thanks.
post #653 of 1237 Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post

I have the 92742 and even though it has networking capabilities, it is not for streaming, it only works for pictures. I'm not sure about the music part though...

If I wifi to computer I thought I could view anything I have via the VCN function, including video?
post #654 of 1237 Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the link for the 3d glasses. I picked up a few. I do have a few more questions.

I live in Wisconsin, it's cold. Should I wait a few hours after delivery before turning on the TV so it comes up to room temp?

Kids 3d glasses, any good cheap ones?

Are there any specifications to maximize the picture/ settings of this screen?

Again, its for the Mitsu 73742.

Thanks again.
post #655 of 1237 Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"Should I wait a few hours after delivery before turning on the TV so it comes up to room temp"

I thought so too, as they delivered my first tv in 20 degree weather. (it was damaged by shippers so it never got turned on)

So I called Mits and they said no problem firing it up in 20 degeree weather, Paul's tv confirmed this.

Paul's said you can't with plasmas, no problem with dlp's.

So I did turn it on when the next one came in, 25 degrees, it fired up right away, no issues then or since.

I am a bit south of you, Iowa, but it's cold here too smile.gif

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #656 of 1237 Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repdetect View Post

"Should I wait a few hours after delivery before turning on the TV so it comes up to room temp"
I thought so too, as they delivered my first tv in 20 degree weather. (it was damaged by shippers so it never got turned on)
So I called Mits and they said no problem firing it up in 20 degeree weather, Paul's tv confirmed this.
Paul's said you can't with plasmas, no problem with dlp's.
So I did turn it on when the next one came in, 25 degrees, it fired up right away, no issues then or since.
I am a bit south of you, Iowa, but it's cold here too smile.gif

Thanks a bunch. I had thought it might be ok, but wanted to confirm before firing it up and having stuff go haywire right away! lol.
post #657 of 1237 Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

When Home Direct delivered a friend mine's 82740 a few weeks ago, they fired it up for a quick test and told him to not run it for about an hour after that because of the cold. I think that makes sense. Test quickly to determine it is OK, then let it come to room temp before running it for further use, configuring and testing so you don't have any issue with condensate.

My 73742 will deliver tomorrow sometime, they are supposed to call today to tell me the 4 hour window that I'm scheduled for. That is a week sooner than they had projected initially. Around here all Home Direct shipments come on Wednesday since we are in the sticks.

As to the calibration question, well it has been asked a few times, but this thread is an odd one in that many questions never get any responses. As an 'owners thread', this one is the least busy I've run across, which can be pretty irritating at times.

Lloyd
post #658 of 1237 Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 AM

I just got my 82" WD-82642 as a Christmas Gift from the spouse to replace the 2 year old 60" Sharp Aquous (which was moved into the Bedroom and the 51" Philips was moved into the Guest Room).  I must say....the PQ on the DLP blows away the PQ from both the Sharp and Philips when it comes to movies.  Even Live TV and regular shows look much better, no noticeable pixelation or "smearing" as on the two LCD's.  I also had a Plasma but it fell victim to my dad visiting and knocking it over after he had one too many drinks (which wasn't a bad thing....he bought me the Philips as an apology gift).  I know that Mits ceased production on DLP's, but as long as I can get 4 years out of this beast (will get a replacement lamp to have on-hand), I'll be more than happy.  I just don't see LCD's or Plasma coming near to the film like Picture quality that this DLP offers.....maybe in 4 years they'll have at least a 90"+ LED or LCD that's actually semi-affordable.  I bought the Sharp in 2010 for $2700 (which seemed par for the course for the 60" top tier lines....NOT the Wal-Mart lines) and now you can get very similar LCD's for under $1K, so I'm hoping that the 90"+ TV's that are currently over $9K will drop down to a reasonable level.  Overall, I love this monster.  I've had it for two weeks and have about 50 hours on it so far.My Loft gets a ton of light, but I'm thinking of getting some black-out shades for the Living Room area where the TV lives.  No regrets.....and this isn't my first RPT.  It started with my 54" Toshiba back in 2003, and have always loved the PQ of these monsters.....I'm just glad that the body has gotten smaller.

post #659 of 1237 Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
lparsons21

It may make sense, as I thought, but the mfgr says it's unnecessary. You'd think they would know.

Or you can rely on a delivery man's opinion.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #660 of 1237 Old 01-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhpns View Post

If I wifi to computer I thought I could view anything I have via the VCN function, including video?

The following is from the instruction manual and is what I was referring to. I highlighted the pertinent information.

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Wd 73c12 73 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Dlp Home Cinema Tv
Gear in this thread - 73c12 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page