2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series) - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am taking delivery of a WD-82842 soon. I have white glove sevice from Paul's. Does anyone have advice on what to look at on my test prior to delivery sign-off. With the idea of minimizing time, my plan right now is:
  • Power on and run through ota channels
  • All white and all gray screens (htpc generated)
  • Geometry (using service menu)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I think you are expecting more from 'white glove service' than is being offered. Basically they will unbox and place the set on your stand, plug it in and turn it on. If it gets a screen then they expect you to sign off.

It doesn't include checking various channels or other inputs.

That doesn't mean that the individual delivery person(s) won't allow you to do that, but it isn't part of the deal from what I've read.

Lloyd
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by raeCathode View Post

I am taking delivery of a WD-82842 soon. I have white glove sevice from Paul's. Does anyone have advice on what to look at on my test prior to delivery sign-off. With the idea of minimizing time, my plan right now is:
  • Power on and run through ota channels
  • All white and all gray screens (htpc generated)
  • Geometry (using service menu)

Yes, when I got white-glove with Pauls, my 92842 came in and all I got was a blue screen. The delivery guys were kind enough to wait a couple of minutes while I kept checking my HDMI connections and the connections were fine. For a minute I thought of having them take it back. I finally signed reluctantly and called Mitsubishi. I turned the TV off and while on hold waiting for Customer Service I turned it back on and it was working fine. Don't know why it didn't work at first but I'm glad I didn't have them take it back. I've had the TV for more than 2 months and it's worked fine ever since.

lujan
718 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

There's really not much to get when you get your TV.

You get a TV.

An owners manual.

A remote.

A HUGE box full of packing material.

That's basically it.

IIRC you do also get batteries for the remote which is nice.

Congrats on your TV. Where'd you get it and for how much if you don't mind me asking. Thanks. smile.gif

Oh wow, thanks for the obvious help. 😒 I didn't know if maybe a pair of 3D glasses or anything else might be included.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
[IMG]

Bought a 73842 five months ago. About a month into it, I had a large halo on the left side of the screen. I called Mits and they sent a tech out who attempted to replace the light engine. The "new" light engine was bad and I had to wait 2 weeks before the tech could come out again to put in another light engine. After putting in the second light engine, all was good except the image had a noticeable tilt ...about an inch or so in the clockwise direction.

Called Mits to complain and they said this is as good as it gets and that it will never be perfect. I told them it wasn't like this when I bought it, so I would think the picture could be fixed to be level and straight. I asked them to send out another tech and they said I would have to pay for the service. Unbelievable. I even emailed them pics and they said there is nothing wrong.

Well I decided to pay another tech $125 to fix the crooked image. He was here for two hours and after fooling around with the DMD board? He was able to get it straight. He did tell me that he shouldn't have had to move the board and also said it should not be touched.

In any event the picture is no longer crooked but now I have noticed the picture is incredibly dim. Its almost unwatchable and even in a dark room, I'm finding it hard to watch without straining my eyes to make out anything during darker scenes. Brighter scenes the picture looks white washed. Colors look washed out and I don't have the color depth. Another way to describe this is foggy or a haze over the entire image.

I called Mits and they said probably the lamp. I only have 900 hours on it. They sent me a new lamp over night and I put it in. No difference.

Is the light engine going bad again? I'm losing patience with all of this. Very frustrating.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The tilt is set by a mechanical adjustment. There are 2 set screws that are turned to rotate the entire light engine. I don't know what the last tech did, but you should get him back and have him fix it for free.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Liked: 11
We bought the WD-73742 back in October and the lamp is already starting to go. Can't even watch the TV during the daytime and it doesn't even get bright enough to watch something in 3D at night. I placed an ordered through Mitsubishi's website for the lamp, but they want a proof of purchase. I forwarded the order email from Paul's. Is this good enough? I tried calling and I just get a recording saying they can't take my call due to technical difficulties.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv784 View Post

We bought the WD-73742 back in October and the lamp is already starting to go. Can't even watch the TV during the daytime and it doesn't even get bright enough to watch something in 3D at night. I placed an ordered through Mitsubishi's website for the lamp, but they want a proof of purchase. I forwarded the order email from Paul's. Is this good enough? I tried calling and I just get a recording saying they can't take my call due to technical difficulties.

When I ordered the lamp under warranty, I just faxed the document from the Mitsubishi site (order form) along with my printed Paul's receipt and they accepted that a couple of hours later. Only took about 5 days from ordering it to receiving it.

lujan
718 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

When I ordered the lamp under warranty, I just faxed the document from the Mitsubishi site (order form) along with my printed Paul's receipt and they accepted that a couple of hours later. Only took about 5 days from ordering it to receiving it.

I probably should have done that. I just find it weird that any number I call tells me there is technical difficulties, and now, I went to check the status, and it tells me that it can't. Ugh.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

If the Yamaha supports 3D pass through (as the offical HDMI definition applies) the Owner's Manual would list and well as the spec sheets on the Yamaha web site - that is required by the HDMI organization. I looked it up, your AVR does not support 3D pass through which means the format of 3D for Blu-ray and 3D PS3 games will not pass through the AVR. The other formats, can pass through however the AVR cannot provide the trigger signal to the TV for auto detect. Why? Because the AVR is a 2009 model and there were no AVRs that offically passed 3D with the trigger signals until 2010.
1. Are you sure of your model number for the AVR? Is it really RX-V465? The reason I ask is that model, while it can decode 7.1, is NOT a 7.1 AVR. It is a 5.1 AVR so it would be dumbing down the audio to 5.1 anyway http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/audio-visual/rx-v465_black__u/?mode=model. Look at the description at the top of the page above the model number.
2. Zero TVs can decode Dolby Digital TrueHD or DTS-HD. Why, becasue Zero TVs have the internal audio systems of the quality to be able to use these high end digital audio formats AND (this is really important) it is impossible to pass either of these via Coaxial Digital cable or Optical Digital cable. The only way to pass the two high end audio formats is via HDMI. Also all audio formats except for PCM Stereo (similar to Compact Disc audio) are optional and not required and add cost. So if the TV cannot use the HD audio formats itself, cannot pass the audio formats out to the AVR and is not required to support the HD audio, why add the cost (TV have the worst profit margin in the consumer electronics industry anyway)?
3. PS3 does not output, even via HDMI, Dobly Digtial True-HD when playing a 3D disc anyway - something about the 3D upgrade for the PS3 that did not allow for that feature - something to ask a Sony PS3 forum or the 3D forum.
4. The TV's software version is found in two places in the TV menu. First - press MENU on the TV remote control and it shown in the lower left hand corner of this first menu screen. Or go the INPUTS sub-menu and highlight UPDATE. Again is this shown in the lower left hand corner of the menu. Usually if Mitsubsihi does not list a software version on their web site, it means there has been no updates sGince they introducted the model. Normally they only list updated software on the web site and only the most recent version.

GEP......In reference to your point #2, I have a Yamaha RX-V373 receiver that I have an optical digital cable going from my 3D Blu-ray player into the receiver (I have a direct HDMI connection to my Mits 73740, mainly for video purposes). I don't pass anything HDMI through the receiver. When I play a Blu-ray disc with DTS audio output, the receiver shows that it is decoding DTS (through the optical digital cable), contrary to what you are saying. Am I missing something; is there a difference between DTS and DTS-HD? To my knowledge (I'm no expert), normal DVD's, off-air TV, and cable/satellite boxes can only output standard Dolby Digital....only Blu-ray discs can output DTS(HD) and True-HD. I might be wrong....thanks for your explanation.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

How manys hours does your lamp have on it? You've only had the TV for maybe 5 months at the most? It's going out quick in such a short amount of time. You must have the TV on like 24/7. redface.gif

You can check the amount of hours by hitting menu on the remote, and then 2 4 7 0.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Tech just left. Right away he was like, Yep light engine. He was here for 5 minutes. This is the third light engine. You would think after three light engines and all of the tech visits they would just send me a new set or better yet just refund my money so I could buy a plasma

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

How manys hours does your lamp have on it? You've only had the TV for maybe 5 months at the most? It's going out quick in such a short amount of time. You must have the TV on like 24/7. redface.gif

You can check the amount of hours by hitting menu on the remote, and then 2 4 7 0.

Just checked and I have 1840 on it.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 827
That is good amount of hours on the TV. Around 12 hours a day. Well at least the bulb has a year warranty on it. I'll need to check the hours on mine. I'm sure I have a fair amount of hours on mine too. but I've only had mine for around 50 days. I've had a few days where it was on for 15 or 16 hours, but most days it's on around 5 hours.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm surprised that the lamp is that dim after only those hours as so many that have reported number of hours before changing bulb is significantly higher than that and in general about double that many hours.

Makes me glad I ordered a lamp from Mitsi when I first got my 73742. It was an odd order. I called to order since the site didn't show any lamps in their online ordering process. I fully expected to buy the lamp as I wanted the spare and told the CSR that too. CSR finally insisted that there was no reason to need a spare, but sent me one free anyway. I certainly didn't expect free, but I was sure happy about it.

Lloyd
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

I'm surprised that the lamp is that dim after only those hours as so many that have reported number of hours before changing bulb is significantly higher than that and in general about double that many hours.

Makes me glad I ordered a lamp from Mitsi when I first got my 73742. It was an odd order. I called to order since the site didn't show any lamps in their online ordering process. I fully expected to buy the lamp as I wanted the spare and told the CSR that too. CSR finally insisted that there was no reason to need a spare, but sent me one free anyway. I certainly didn't expect free, but I was sure happy about it.

I still couldn't get a hold of them the rest of the day yesterday. Just kept getting a message about technical difficulties, and then it would disconnect. No response to emails. I'm hoping they were just closed for the holiday. I really don't feel like spending money on a lamp for a TV that is only 5 months old. My old DLP used to get about 4000 hours before the lamp would start dimming. I have the TV on now, and I can barely see a thing. Maybe it was just a shoddy lamp that was in the TV.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I still couldn't get a hold of them the rest of the day yesterday. Just kept getting a message about technical difficulties, and then it would disconnect. No response to emails. I'm hoping they were just closed for the holiday. I really don't feel like spending money on a lamp for a TV that is only 5 months old. My old DLP used to get about 4000 hours before the lamp would start dimming. I have the TV on now, and I can barely see a thing. Maybe it was just a shoddy lamp that was in the TV.

I thought the lamp had a one year warranty? Shouldn't it be free?. Except maybe shipping.

LED DLP
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I thought the lamp had a one year warranty? Shouldn't it be free?. Except maybe shipping.

Yes. It's going to be free. Apparently they were closed yesterday for the holiday. Called them this morning, and they have already shipped it and they said I would have a new lamp by Thursday. If I set the video settings to "Brilliant", and I can see the picture enough to kind of watch television. smile.gif
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... If I set the video settings to "Brilliant", and I can see the picture enough to kind of watch television. smile.gif

smile.gif Funny, it still seems like you needed to get a new lamp way too early. It shouldn't be until 3500 - 4000 at the very earliest.

lujan
718 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

smile.gif Funny, it still seems like you needed to get a new lamp way too early. It shouldn't be until 3500 - 4000 at the very earliest.

Yea. For now I'm just going to assume it was a shoddy/faulty lamp. If it happens with the new lamp, I'll investigate further with Mitsubishi.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just checked my 2008 73" Mitsubishi to see how many hours are on the original bulb. 8753 hours!!! Now that's a good bulb wink.gif.
Gerry
Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

I see the Xpand105 BT glasses are only $30 right now on Amazon from Pauls TV. The Amazon ones are also around $30 but they are out of stock. I plan on getting a second pair while they are so inexpensive. the last time I checked they were Almost twice as much. I got one pair with the BT emitter for $70 last month. I like those much better than the $20 Samsung glasses. They feel more comfortable, plus I don't have to keep hitting the sync button everytime I start a movie like I have to with the Samsung glasses. Plus the Expand glasses have a rechargeable battery.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00A279MD2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

LED DLP
Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 PM

new lamp showed up today. we're back in business! this past week or so has been terrible. biggrin.gif
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM

Alright, so after watching the TV for a few hours tonight, I'm convinced the first bulb was "defective" from the beginning. The picture looks twice as good as it ever did. I feel like I just got a brand new TV.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 PM

Quick question...how do I reset the lamp timer?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 AM

I've had been planning to upgrade from my Samsung HLN-507W to a 73"+ Model for over a year. 3D was not a priority, but I thought I would get one "just in case." But I put off the purchase month after month. I recently heard that Mitsu was getting out of the rear-projection DLP market, I was dissapointed but figured I'd just wait longer to buy and LED or plasma.

This past Sunday morning I opened the hhgregg flyer insert in the newspaper and saw that they were selling off the remaining stock of DLPs at 50% off. I told my wife that I'd be getting it that day. While it's just the c12 series, I am more than satisfied after only a few hours of use. Well, there is one small issue that perplexes me.

The 73C12 is connected to my HTPC via DVI-HDMI cable. My HTPC has a 7" LCD and the Win7 is set to duplicate the desktop (very old info at http://kimnach.org/computers/x86/HTPC.html). When I turn on the C12 there is no image, although the desktop is displayed on the LCD. I tried to switch from the HDMI input to Antenna and then back, but that doesn't solve the issue. the only way to get the Mitsu to display is to unplug and reconnect the HDMI cable. Note, that this was not an issue with the Samsung, and the only difference in the set-up is a DVI-HDMI cable versus a DVI-DVI cable previously. Nothing in the (minimal) menu is pertinent to this issue.

What could be causing the TV to not display an image, when turned ON, in spite of there being a signal?

thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JQ View Post

GEP......In reference to your point #2, I have a Yamaha RX-V373 receiver that I have an optical digital cable going from my 3D Blu-ray player into the receiver (I have a direct HDMI connection to my Mits 73740, mainly for video purposes). I don't pass anything HDMI through the receiver. When I play a Blu-ray disc with DTS audio output, the receiver shows that it is decoding DTS (through the optical digital cable), contrary to what you are saying. Am I missing something; is there a difference between DTS and DTS-HD? To my knowledge (I'm no expert), normal DVD's, off-air TV, and cable/satellite boxes can only output standard Dolby Digital....only Blu-ray discs can output DTS(HD) and True-HD. I might be wrong....thanks for your explanation.

Yes there is a big difference between Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital True HD and between DTS and DTS Master HD. The basic versions are compressed (lossey) and thus can pass via coaxial or optical cables the HD version are lossless and cannot pass over coaxial or optical cables. All source devices (Blu-ray players) that can supply the HD versions are required to also convert to the lower quality versions if there are no TV or AV Receivers in the loop that can take the HD version. This is what is happing in your system.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quick question...how do I reset the lamp timer?

These TVs do not have a lamp timer, only an entire TV usage timer.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

These TVs do not have a lamp timer, only an entire TV usage timer.

Isn't that the same thing? If the TV is on, then the lamp is on.

LED DLP
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^

Well it is kind of the same thing, but sets with a seperate lamp timer usually also offer a way to reset the timer when you change the lamp.

Lloyd

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Wd 73c12 73 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Dlp Home Cinema Tv