2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series) - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1261 of 1272 Old 05-10-2015, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Disclaimer: Be very careful while in the Service Menu. Adjusting the wrong parameter can brick your TV.
Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering how this setting may have changed when I've not accessed the service menu before . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSgtMatt View Post
I have a similar problem and would like to know if this same mode in the service menu will solve my issue. On my TV the image is larger than the physical size of the TV and there isn't an option in the setup menu to shrink the image. I've never messed with the service menu so I don't know how to navigate through it or what I shouldn't do. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
Just be sure there is no BD player zoom feature inadvertently turned on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1272 Old 05-10-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSgtMatt View Post
I have a similar problem and would like to know if this same mode in the service menu will solve my issue. On my TV the image is larger than the physical size of the TV and there isn't an option in the setup menu to shrink the image. I've never messed with the service menu so I don't know how to navigate through it or what I shouldn't do. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

TVs usually have about 3% overscan built in. This is to avoid black edges and non content specific information appearing on the sides, top and bottom. Rear projection TVs usually have a bit more overscan to prevent any optical or geometric imperfections from showing at the edges. It is not defeat-able.

If you have excessive zooming, check your Format setting on both your TV and your source, as TSgtMatt also advised. It's very common for someone (even the dog or cat) to accidentally hit a button on the remote, changing the setting.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #1263 of 1272 Old 06-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

One of my latest rounds of OCD involves hanging on to my 82742 until I can afford a 4k set of the same size or larger. (I'm seeing an 85" JVC 4k at Costco for around I think $5k).

Arguably, the best time to sell was when Mitsu announced they were ceasing DLP production. That's when I doubled down and upgraded from a 73" to an 82". I sold the 73" via an ebay local pickup sale. I'm still enjoying the 82742 on a near daily basis and I know that's the most important thing. But I can't help but speculate that, by the time I'm ready to upgrade to 4k BD (which will be after UHD BD players have streeted and preferably after OPPO makes a 4k universal player available), the universe of prospective aftermarket DLP buyers will have shrunk to the point I can't sell. And I don't think I need an 82" DLP in my bedroom. LOL.

Anyone else gnashing their teeth over hanging on to their DLP past the arguable point of diminishing returns? I need a support group.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 06-23-2015 at 05:28 PM.
post #1264 of 1272 Old 06-24-2015, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
One of my latest rounds of OCD involves hanging on to my 82742 until I can afford a 4k set of the same size or larger. (I'm seeing an 85" JVC 4k at Costco for around I think $5k).

Arguably, the best time to sell was when Mitsu announced they were ceasing DLP production. That's when I doubled down and upgraded from a 73" to an 82". I sold the 73" via an ebay local pickup sale. I'm still enjoying the 82742 on a near daily basis and I know that's the most important thing. But I can't help but speculate that, by the time I'm ready to upgrade to 4k BD (which will be after UHD BD players have streeted and preferably after OPPO makes a 4k universal player available), the universe of prospective aftermarket DLP buyers will have shrunk to the point I can't sell. And I don't think I need an 82" DLP in my bedroom. LOL.

Anyone else gnashing their teeth over hanging on to their DLP past the arguable point of diminishing returns? I need a support group.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been looking for a 73 or 82 WD-xx840 for about two years now. I found a 73840 for sale locally a year ago, but it was sold before I could get over to look at it. I'm not local to you, but I'm sure you'll find a buyer.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #1265 of 1272 Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, I've been looking for a 73 or 82 WD-xx840 for about two years now. I found a 73840 for sale locally a year ago, but it was sold before I could get over to look at it. I'm not local to you, but I'm sure you'll find a buyer.
I have an 82740 that's collecting dust with low hours on it if anyone is interested? Just send me a PM. Thanks

lujan
782 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #1266 of 1272 Old 06-24-2015, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. But I guess I have to point out that you had that experience a year ago and part of what's vexing me is the passage of time given how quickly I'm seeing floor space given over to 4k displays and prices fall.

Also, looking for input on where folks have had the most luck selling and buying DLPs over the past few years. When I sold my 73", I listed it at Audiogon (very little traffic), Craigslist (again, little traffic), my Amazon Marketplace store (frustrating how many people expected it to be shipped when I stated in all caps it was only for local pickup), AVS classifieds (very little traffic) and ebay (where I eventually got the sale).
post #1267 of 1272 Unread 07-02-2015, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I have a 73642 and I can't find the latest firmware update anywhere on the Mits site. Is there anywhere the update can be found?. If I connect my tv to the internet will the update still be online?
TIA
Bob
post #1268 of 1272 Unread Yesterday, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If it doesn't show on their "Documents & Downloads" page, then they have none available.

https://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/suppor...ments/WD-73642

ASUS H87M-E LGA 1150
Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell
Intel Network Adapter
8GB DDR3 SDRAM
Windows 7 x64
Drobo 5N
post #1269 of 1272 Unread Yesterday, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, I've been looking for a 73 or 82 WD-xx840 for about two years now...
Keep your eyes out for a 73838, as well. Those have a great picture.
post #1270 of 1272 Unread Yesterday, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Keep your eyes out for a 73838, as well. Those have a great picture.

I've seen them. The 840s are better, IMO. My friend bought one, and the calibrated picture is a dream come true.

post #1271 of 1272 Unread Today, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
I've seen them. The 840s are better, IMO. My friend bought one, and the calibrated picture is a dream come true.
In general, I like the 73 inch models, as they are well matched to the light output. In what way does the '40 better the '38? Did it have the clear contrast screen?

How susceptible was that year and model to DMD failure?
post #1272 of 1272 Unread Today, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
In general, I like the 73 inch models, as they are well matched to the light output. In what way does the '40 better the '38? Did it have the clear contrast screen?

How susceptible was that year and model to DMD failure?

At the time, I believe the ad copy showed the 73" with the regular matte screen, but his 73" seemed so clear that I think it had the clear contrast screen (which showed up on the spec sheet later, if I remember correctly). I haven't been back to his house since I calibrated it (I moved several states away), so I can't confirm. I just know the picture was awesome. I have the 835 series, and it calibrates better than my son's 837 series, which is one year newer, but the WD-73840's picture blew me away.

The latest model I've seen or heard of with the DMD failure was a 737, which I believe was a 2009 model. I believe there's a good chance Mits exited the market because of the chip failures (along with already slow sales) so who knows how deep the rabbit hole goes as far as affected models. My 835's chip was replaced last year by Mitsubishi and the tech botched it, so I got a complete light engine out of the deal. If I find a local 73840 for the right price, I will jump on it, even at the risk of having to replace the chip myself later on. I love these TVs.

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Wd 73c12 73 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Dlp Home Cinema Tv
Gear in this thread - 73c12 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page