From white spots to strange fingerprint smudges on my DLP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the dreaded white spot problem (just a few spots though) on my Mitsubishi 73 inch DLP TV, so I called the repair place and they replaced the DMD chip. That immediately fixed the problem, and I was really happy until I watched a show tonight and it faded to black at the end, and I could see what looked like fingerprint smudges inside the screen. The best way I can describe it is magnified fingerprints. So I paused the DVR on a black screen and checked it out. It's definitely not on the outside of the screen. Is this something the repair guy could have done when he was replacing the chip, or has it always been there and I just didn't notice it because I was distracted by a few white dots?

If it's something he did, can I fix it myself? I'm pretty good with that stuff if I actually know what the problem is!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-18-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Call him back. He obviously handled the chip and left his print on the DMD's window.

Notice at timestamp 4:06 of this repair video that the DMD chip is being handled wearing gloves.

and at timestamp 6:21 of this repair video that the technician shows the DMD chip to the viewer and says "make sure you don't touch this part, right here".

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3 of 8 Old 08-18-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Auger! This was exactly what I was looking for. Before I call him back and deal with that hassle, is this something I could fix myself with a bottle of Windex?

(Just kidding about the Windex part, but not the fixing it myself part!)
smile.gif
post #4 of 8 Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimmfatz View Post

Thank you so much, Auger! This was exactly what I was looking for. Before I call him back and deal with that hassle, is this something I could fix myself with a bottle of Windex?

(Just kidding about the Windex part, but not the fixing it myself part!)
smile.gif

I would make them fix it (free of course), since they did it, but if you're handy, I guess you could do it. There's several youtube videos showing the replacement procedure. Maybe you can find one with a model similar or the same as yours. Just search "Mitsubishi white dots" or "Mitsubishi DMD chip".

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 12:14 AM

Liked: 0
I am facing the same issue after the service guy changed the DMD chip for white spots. Were you able to get this fixed and was smudges on the DMD chip the issue?

Thanks,
post #6 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Crazy that this is almost two years to the day after I originally posted. Sorry you're having the same issue. I had the repair guy back out and tried to explain to him that I thought he smudged up the chip, but he didn't really understand English that well so we both just ended up frustrated. After that I kind of forgot about the problem because we got a different TV and moved that one to a different room where it hardly ever gets used.

But now that you've reminded me, I'm going to try to fix it myself. I'll let you know if I'm successful!
post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2014, 11:34 AM

Liked: 12
I noticed the same thing after replacing the DMD chip recently on my Mits what looked like a smudge on the screen especially in a black scene, I was careful and used gloves when installing the chip. Took out the DMD chip and thoroughly cleaned it with denatured alcohol something I should have done in the first place even though it looked clean out of the bag. Anyway it took care of the smudge could be some gunk was left on the chip from the manufacture. The DIY video on You Tube though not model specific is good taking some time it's not that hard.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a WD-73835 with the same problem. Could somebody please direct me to a youtube video showing how to clean this? I searched but didn't turn up any good results, probably because I don't know what I'm searching for specifically. Thanks.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Wd 73638 73 Inch 3d Ready Dlp Hdtv , Mitsubishi Wd 73840 73 Inch 1080p Projection Tv
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page