Samsung HL72A650 Won't Turn On - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everybody. I'm new here but I'm a regular reader of the articles and reviews and sometimes forum posts. Now I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out on my own and I could use a little help.

I have a Samsung HL72A650 which has started to have problems as of about two weeks ago. The first time I noticed the issue, I was about to jump on my XBox to play a game. Right from the beginning while I was logging in and finding a game the screen appeared to glitch, the image would ghost and the "ghosts" would be of different hues, almost as though the red green and blue channels were separating slightly. Once I finally began playing the game, about halfway through a match, the screen froze with said "ghosts of many colors" and stayed there. My XBox audio runs through a separate receiver, which continued to play. Originally I thought the issue might be with my XBox, or with the HDMI cable (I have pets who sometimes chew on things), I unplugged and re-plugged the HDMI cable to no avail, the screen stayed frozen even with the cable unplugged.

So I looked up a bunch of stuff online, found people mentioning it might be the lamp (which still shines bright), the color wheel, or one or another of the PCBs. I contacted Samsung support, who were "most helpful" in that they instructed me to do a reset by holding down the exit button on the remote. The reset worked, picture was restored, and I went back to being able to use the TV for the next week.

After that week, when my fiance and I sat down to watch a movie, the TV didn't come back. I changed the source several times, removed power from the system for a bit, and the TV came back. Now though, a few days later, the TV will not power on, the rightmost green LED blinks 10+ times then all LEDs go dark, but nothing comes on the screen. I have tried the reset again, but it will not take. There is a whirring noise when I get down behind the TV, but it is fairly quiet and I cannot honestly say if it is the fan or not. I can say that the lamp is fine.

I figure either this is a simple quick fix like the color wheel, or I'm going to end up replacing each component separately trying to find the issue. I do not want to simply replace the TV, I am waiting for 4k to become affordable (RedRay if I am lucky) but that is still a few years off and with a wedding in two weeks I don't have the budget to replace or screw around with repairs too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 11:22 PM

Sounds like a color wheel problem, if its making all that noise, when the color wheel goes out your colors dont look right and starts to make lots of noise, i suggest you replace the color wheel first.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to attempt replacing the color wheel, but before I can do so, I need to find a color wheel. According to Parts Store by Best Buy, the color wheel part number is BP96-02069A, but I can't seem to find it available anywhere. I can't seem to figure out what chassis I have (L3, L6?) either to order an updated or generic part. Can anyone help me figure out what color wheel to buy?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Here is an update for anyone who happens to encounter the same or similar issue with an HL72A650.

I disassembled my TV and took the projection tray to my workbench, then disassembled the tray to remove the color wheel. The process is fairly straightforward even without a guide. While there are some dissimilarities, this guide did very closely resemble the process for my TV which is an HL72A650C1FXZA. Once the color wheel was removed, I discovered the crucial bit of information which makes this replacement possible:

Samsung lists the color wheel for the HL72A650C1FXZA part number to be BP96-02069A. This part is not available anywhere, not new, as a refurbished product, or a used pull. However, when I disassembled my TV and removed the color wheel I discovered that the part number on the wheel itself is not BP96-02069A, but instead BP61-01193A. I found this part number listed on eBay both as a used pull and as a new in box item. I purchased the new in box.

TL;DR, HL72A650C1FXZA Color Wheel is BP61-01193A.

Better still, while I had the faulty color wheel removed, I spun it gently with my finger and listened for abrasion in the motor. As I spun it I discovered there was one spot where the noise occurred, I spun the wheel to that spot, then applied some gentle pressure and moved the wheel back and forth over that spot. I reassembled the TV with the faulty color wheel and it started up without any errors whatsoever and has been working fine now for over two weeks of daily use. I also happened to discover that a dark spot which had been present on my TV since I purchased it was a piece of lint on the lens which I removed with a puff of air. Funny, because I had an open warranty claim with Samsung for that dust spec and the Samsung certified repair technician could not determine the issue.

Bear in mind that my color wheel was not overly loud. I did not have yeti like sounds nor did it sound as though it was spooling up for takeoff. The TV simply had some glitching, then would not turn on and a faint whirring was noticeable while I was behind the TV trying to determine the issue. Good luck to anyone replacing the color wheel on this TV, it is a great TV and deserves to last until 4K becomes affordable!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:15 PM

I have the same problem, my color wheel is failing and want a replacement but I cant find one. Did you ever try the one you ordered? thanks for posting that replacment part number!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

I have not physically replaced the existing color wheel with the new one. I assume my fix by essentially "deburring" the motor will be only temporary so I am keeping this one on hand. I can confirm that they are identical in every way including the part number, size, shape, grommet, cables and pinouts.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 AM

so i ordered a new color wheel. I cross referenced the BP61-01193A and came up with BP96-01579A. I ordered the BP96-01579A and the difference is the color sections on the color wheel. I installed it and found that all the colors were way off. so i pulled my original color wheel off of the old motor and put it on the new BP96-01579A motor. the colors are correct now but I think my bushing in my old color wheel is the cause of my problem. I still have the pulsing and the tv shutting off. does anyone know how to clean the old air bearing on the color wheel. shame on samsung for discontinuing our original color wheel!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM

This is an update to my last post. my color wheel was fine! the problem that I have confirmed, was that one of the two large capacitors on the main tv power supply were bad. even though they were not bulging at the top. the bad capacitors on the power supply were allowing ac to go to the ballast and were making the bulb flicker. they eventually blew my capacitor on my Ballast. It was a 450v 47uf. I replaced my ballast capacitor and the tv worked for about 5 days before it blew the same capacitor on the ballast. That is what led me to the two caps on the main power supply. they are 200WV @470 uf.

since replacing these capacitors my tv has been working like new again. Hope this helps.