Panasonic PT61-LCX35 strange issues...any insight? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As much as I hate making my first thread on ANY forum a "dear God, help me!" thread, I really need some help. I bought said TV from a guy on Craigslist for $130, and he said all it needed was a new bulb (probably a red flag, but "who cares? Cheap HDTV!!!!," I thought). He delivers it, and when I plug it in and hit the power button, I see a rather large grey bar on the left-hand side, 2 horizontal black and white bars in the middle and on the bottom, and the colors seem to be not converged correctly, plus multicolored spots here and there. I ordered a new bulb for it, but I fear it may be worse...

Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy323232 View Post

I bought said TV from a guy on Craigslist for $130, and he said all it needed was a new bulb (probably a red flag, but "who cares? Cheap HDTV!!!!," I thought). He delivers it, and when I plug it in and hit the power button, I see a rather large grey bar on the left-hand side, 2 horizontal black and white bars in the middle and on the bottom, and the colors seem to be not converged correctly, plus multicolored spots here and there. I ordered a new bulb for it, but I fear it may be worse...

Appears you may have been taken. Sorry you didn't have the seller power it up before you purchased it.

That looks like more than what a new lamp would solve. It appears it is some defect with the light engine, possibly the LCD panel or filters.

Please let us know if in fact a new lamp solves the problem.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #3 of 5 Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

That's always nice to hear...I replaced the bulb, but alas, no change. If it is in fact the light engine (which are next to impossible to find, and expensive, to boot), would it be worth replacing or just getting another RPTV?

It looks like a nice TV, but it's a shame it's dead...
post #4 of 5 Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy323232 View Post

That's always nice to hear...I replaced the bulb, but alas, no change. If it is in fact the light engine (which are next to impossible to find, and expensive, to boot), would it be worth replacing or just getting another RPTV?
It looks like a nice TV, but it's a shame it's dead...

What happens when you press the menu button? If nothing or a display just as messed up as the pictures, then likely a bad light engine. If good menu display then the problem would likely be in signal processing.

I would also suspect that the former owner took it apart and didn't get it back together right, or something seiously came loose in transit. Take the back off and look for something obvious. Search the internet for a free Service Manual download.
killjoy323232 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

The menu was also messed up (so I guess it is a light engine issue...), but I'll see if I can't get into it and take a better look...the fact that something may have come loose does make sense, as it was transported about 45 miles in the back of a truck.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page