SHARP LC-90LE745U 90" LED or Mitsubishi 92" DLP??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great forum, very informative. First post for me.

I own a Mitsu. WD-73737 manufactured in 2006. Last weekend I bought SHARP's 90" LED (delivery is scheduled for next weekend by Geek Squad) to replace the 73" Mitsu (that I'm moving to another room) but now I'm not sure if I did the right thing or should have bought one of the 92' Mitsu DLP's.

Obviously there's a big difference in price but if you were not taking cost into account, if both sets (SHARP 90" LED & Mitsu 92" DLP) were the same price --- which would you choose???

I haven't been able to see the Mitsu 92". I saw the SHARP 90" at Best Buy, watched a bunch of content & was really amazed at the quality especially "The Avengers" in blu-ray. The picture on the SHARP, the feeling of being immersed in the movie compared to the other "smaller" sets in the store had my jaw on the floor.. The sharp detail of the picture when looking at actors faces & uniforms, etc. (especially better than my older DLP) was noticeable & action scenes were so impressive. But now I'm wondering if I should have gone with the 92" Mitsu, I read something about colors being more vibrant on the new DLP's vs. LED???

The fact that the DLP takes up more depth is not an issue for my space... TV viewing in the room is not affected by daylight/ windows. Viewing distance is 15' & straight on/ viewing from an angle isn't an issue... I often watch blu-rays now on my 73" & while it's been great, the picture on the 90" SHARP was on another level. Most of the time spent watching this TV will be from HD channels (FiOS) but some 720 content as well. Having the best picture while playing 1080p is important to me.

I also purchased for set up next Saturday; Def Tech's 8060's; towers, center, rears, Pioneer's VSX-53 & Panasonic's blu-ray DMP-BDT500. I have Monster Cables M-series HDMI's (bought a few years back)

Bottom line my question is - Which TV would you prefer & why???

Hope it's okay that I posted the same question on the LCD forum area.... Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Well it is hard to compare a TV that streets for 9K vs one that can be found for less than 4K... or even 2500 dollars if you get a 2011. Having said that, fast motion on the Sharps is pretty awful. Rear projectors are rear projector LEDs are LEDs both have their strengths and weakensses. The deciding factor to me would be how bright is the room and what are you viewing habbits. If you watch a lot of daytime TV with lots of windows all around the clear screen will be problematical. The Mits needs a low stand. Really so does the Sharp but the Mits suffers more off vertical axis. I went through this process cross shopping the 80" Sharps against the Mits 92" at roughly the same pricing. I just hate the motion artifacting on the Sharps. The Sharp uses less energy, both of the them really need a good external Video Processor to get the most out of them. I have a big room with subdued lighting, the Mits was clearly the right choice for me. The 90" Sharp is above my price point but also seems like it should have Elite picture quality, possibly even be a 4k screen for th price point.

Just another blank signature.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 04:39 PM

Liked: 11
Well price is big factor here and also remember 4k is on their way, I personally will not spend that much money on Sharp 90" and I currently own 92840 2011 model which i got for $2800 and i have bright room with 6 windows and viewing distance as like yours but could not find any problem. Only thing is you will need low stand not more than 12" in height. Also there is Darbee Darblet available in market now days price jump to $350 but give very good improvement in PQ and i love it, which i'm sure it definitely beats any LARGE screen LED TV PQ.

Combination of WD-92840 + Darblet is awesome and I also agree with gtgray suggestion.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. If it was between the Sharp 80" & the Mitsu 92", there's probably no question I'd go w/ the 92. 15ft. is the minimum viewing distance for me, the room is 25ft..... 80" vs. 92" doesn't sound like a big difference in size but it's huge. Even when I was comparing the 80" SHARP to the 90" side by side you really get a sense if just how much more immersive the larger 90" is.

I thought about the 4k SONY but decided against it because I always seem to get burned buying technology before it's ready for prime-time, widely adopted.. I was one of those first laser-disc adopters. I have 4 sets at the home larger than 55" so every 3-5 years I upgrade the best set & rotate the rest of the TV's .. I I figure the TV I'm buying now will be replaced in 3 years (BB 36 months 0% financing) with whatever the technology is in 3 years, I hear more positive things about OLED then just 4k but a 100" OLED set & 4k content on Movies & Cable is probably 3 years (??) away so doesn't make sense to wait or to buy a 4k TV now without 4k content when there will probably be better & larger 4k sets once the tech/content is more widely adopted.... Plus, I want at least 90", going from my older 73" DLP to a 84" (SONY 4k) isn't a big enough jump.

So what's the difference in the Mitsu 92" sets??? I'm looking at a comparison of the 4 92" sets on BB's web-site, looks like they're all 120hz....What's different about the 4 sets that important to consider????
post #5 of 11 Old 10-06-2012, 08:56 AM

I have the same dilemma for decisions.....

But, my room is only 15 feet deep so veiwing distance is about 10 feet. So, I also have to decide between each's 80 inch model.

I'm struggling with the price difference. Although I can afford it if I like, spending so much more for the Sharp seems inappropriate. I like the look of the thinner set, but is it really worth it.

I can just about get a Mits 92" AND 82" for the price of the Sharp 80"......

Decisions, decisions.....
post #6 of 11 Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalsaria View Post

Well price is big factor here and also remember 4k is on their way, I personally will not spend that much money on Sharp 90" and I currently own 92840 2011 model which i got for $2800 and i have bright room with 6 windows and viewing distance as like yours but could not find any problem. Only thing is you will need low stand not more than 12" in height. Also there is Darbee Darblet available in market now days price jump to $350 but give very good improvement in PQ and i love it, which i'm sure it definitely beats any LARGE screen LED TV PQ.
Combination of WD-92840 + Darblet is awesome and I also agree with gtgray suggestion.

Not to hijack the OP post, but what are the differences between these Darbee's on Amazon ?

DarbeeVision Darblet, HDMI Video Processor by Sewell Direct

DarbeeVision Darblet HDMI Video Processor (DARBLET)

DARBEE Visual Presence DVP 5000 DARBLET HDMI High-Defintion Image Enhancer

All appear to be around the same retail price.

Thanks

STRADALE,

I know this is a hard choice to make. My friend has a 70" Sharp (NO-3D) and I have a 73" Mits (with-3-D) and to tell the truth the Sharp is more crisp and has more detail in the picture. However he paid double the amount for the Sharp.
Good luck.biggrin.gif

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post

Not to hijack the OP post, but what are the differences between these Darbee's on Amazon ?
DarbeeVision Darblet, HDMI Video Processor by Sewell Direct
DarbeeVision Darblet HDMI Video Processor (DARBLET)
DARBEE Visual Presence DVP 5000 DARBLET HDMI High-Defintion Image Enhancer
All appear to be around the same retail price.
Thanks
STRADALE,
I know this is a hard choice to make. My friend has a 70" Sharp and I have a 73" Mits and to tell the truth the Sharp is more crisp and has more detail in the picture. However he paid double the amount for the Sharp.
Good luck.biggrin.gif

All are same and its all different authorize reseller listing. Earlier it was offered at discount price for $269 to make base and they have already said that price will be back to MSRP after sept 20th. You can go to darbeevision.com directly.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-07-2012, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalsaria View Post

All are same and its all different authorize reseller listing. Earlier it was offered at discount price for $269 to make base and they have already said that price will be back to MSRP after sept 20th. You can go to darbeevision.com directly.

Ok, I see... Check your PM...
Thanks

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Appreciate all the very helpful replies. Thank you.

I re-visited BB to purchase a Harmony 900 remote,,,,, got to spend a little more time watching the 90" SHARP & the other sets displayed... As I mentioned in the original post; I have a 73' Mitsu WD-73737... My local BB doesn't display DLP's any longer.. I asked why & the SM said; "they're being fazed out".. I don't believe that, if anything Mitsu appears to have a nitch in these huge sets @ great prices but it did make me realize I really should be asking a different question on this forum:

How much better is the picture quality on the new 92" Mitsu DLP's vs. the 73" DLP WD-73737???

I have been assuming that the 92"'s are probably much more advanced than my 73", in the same low light conditions; should you expect to see a much better picture on the new 92" sets vs. the 73" or are they similar??

btw: Last night signed up for CinemaNow & got to watch PROMETHEUS w/ my 12 year old son & a couple of his friends... I heard very mixed reviews about the movie so was pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed it. BB has a cool deal - The money I paid towards last nights pre-purchase in order to watch it over CinemaNow goes towards a 3D blu-ray disc when it's released next week. Smart on BB's part actually since I doubt I would have signed up (free) for a CinemaNow account otherwise.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-07-2012, 08:44 AM

Liked: 15
Personally, I would get the Sharp. In my opinion, Mitsubishi tvs have serious reliability issues. Just do some general searches on Mitsubishi tv complaints/customer service, like this one for instance:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/mitsubishi.html
post #11 of 11 Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRADALE View Post

Appreciate all the very helpful replies. Thank you.
I re-visited BB to purchase a Harmony 900 remote,,,,, got to spend a little more time watching the 90" SHARP & the other sets displayed... As I mentioned in the original post; I have a 73' Mitsu WD-73737... My local BB doesn't display DLP's any longer.. I asked why & the SM said; "they're being fazed out".. I don't believe that, if anything Mitsu appears to have a nitch in these huge sets @ great prices but it did make me realize I really should be asking a different question on this forum:
How much better is the picture quality on the new 92" Mitsu DLP's vs. the 73" DLP WD-73737???
I have been assuming that the 92"'s are probably much more advanced than my 73", in the same low light conditions; should you expect to see a much better picture on the new 92" sets vs. the 73" or are they similar?

I'm a fan of rear projection, and I like the 73" Mits DLPs very much, as 73" seems to me the sweet spot. Very good brightness, evenness of illumination, and decent viewing angles, vertically and horizontally. Larger DLPs in average rooms just don't seem to have the punch for my eyes, although the 82" is decent.

The 92" MIts is a steal at that price point if you have a light controlled room and a very low stand. It's pretty sensitive (light drop off) to off axis viewing, particularly vertically IMO.

I have only seen the 80 inch Sharp, and I was impressed because of the brightness of the set, which by the way is a must if you like 3D...doubly important if your 3D is light-robbing active shutter. I can only imagine how great the 90 inch screen is.

With LCD there are trade offs, including viewing angles, but with a panel that large most people will be sitting pretty much in the sweet spot, and the immersion of a large bright panel is a big positive.

If money is not the determining factor I'd go for the Sharp!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u
Gear in this thread - 90le745u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page