Toshiba 62HM196 Lamp issue--TV given to me - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-27-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be picking up a free Toshiba 62HM196 tomorrow, free from a friend. He has replaced numerous lamps in the past few months and decided to give up throwing money down the drain. I have done some research on this and sounds like it could be the ballast board. Does this sound like a logical assessment?? Also have read posts from people just doing a good cleaning to dissipate heat better. Is this a possibility also??

I have seen that these ballast boards seem to be few and far between to find, any ideas on where to look?? And if I can find one what level of repair would I need to replace, I'm pretty capable?? Worked avionics with the Air Force for 30+ years. Thanks for any advice and help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-28-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Got the TV and stand home today...took the bulb out and there was glass in the area so bulb definitely bad..got the guts loosened up and will look at the ballast board tomorrow. Did find a couple refurbed ballast boards so may order one along with a bulb. Also blew dust and dirt from the whole area and also fans, was pretty yukky.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
As has been mentioned, make sure you buy a good quality OEM bulb, not a cheap substitute. Do you know what kind your friend was buying? Sounds like you're on the right track to end up with a nice tv. Good luck.

bg
post #4 of 10 Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

garciab,
He did indeed use a cheaper bulb a few bulbs ago, but the latest one to blow was an OEM with the Toshiba part number. He heard a pop shut it off and decided he was done. When the bulb was removed I saw glass in the area and the filament was gone. I did take the shelf out to see how hard it was to get to ballast. Not too bad plus when I had it out was able to blow that area out plus the back fan. Put everything back together and applied power and the fans are all working, can't see the one in the back. Found an OEM bulb, without the housing for $104.95 at Discount-Merchant and a refurbs ballast board for $66.59 at Moduslinkptstvboards. Will probably order both and see what happens. Blowing out the dirt and dust should also help, maybe even be the culprit, but figure won't hurt to do the ballast.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-30-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Ballast and oem bulb (without case) on order. Have the TV in my unheated garage now as not much room in the house. When I get the parts installed I probably should not try and test outside here in Michigan if it's 40 ish outside should I?? Think I read something about 41F or something a minimum for operating. Maybe by then it will warm a little and if the sun is out the garage heats up pretty well.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ballast board installed and lamp mounted in enclosure. TV has been outside in my unheated garage for a week, temps are right around 40F. Am bringing the TV inside for a few hours then will install the lamp and try to fire her up. Wish me luck.......
post #7 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Wow all I can say, what a great picture!! So far so good my friend said the last lamp made it about a month. Hopefully with the new OEM lamp, ballast board, and severe cleaning we last much longer. Only time will tell......
post #8 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSMan View Post

Wow all I can say, what a great picture!! So far so good my friend said the last lamp made it about a month. Hopefully with the new OEM lamp, ballast board, and severe cleaning we last much longer. Only time will tell......

First thing you should do is set the lamp on low power setting. Video > Advanced Settings > Lamp Mode > Low Power, or something like that. The lamp will last longer. Set it back on high hopefully after the lamp has many thousands of hours on it and is getting dim near the end of its life. Enjoy.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

First thing you should do is set the lamp on low power setting. Video > Advanced Settings > Lamp Mode > Low Power, or something like that. The lamp will last longer. Set it back on high hopefully after the lamp has many thousands of hours on it and is getting dim near the end of its life. Enjoy.

Thanks Chuck will go into the menu today and change the setting or see what it is set at.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

It was already set to low power I assume by the previous owner. Good grief from the brightness on the screen I figured it had to be high power...lol
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page