Mitsubishi WD73734 issue with HDMI in ---> Digital audio out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am connecting my DVR, Blu-ray and DVD recorder to Mitsubishi WD73734 via HDMI. Then I am planning to connect from the TV to AVR via digital out. Question:

On Mitsubishi's manual for WD 73734:

Input:
Quote:
EIA-861D standard for digital audio and video via HDMI
HDMI standard connector
Video:
60 Hz: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
24 Hz, 30 Hz, 60 Hz: 1080p
Audio:
PCM stereo

output:
Quote:
Digital Audio Output :
RCA Pin Plug,
Signal Type:
Dolby Digital, PCM stereo

Should I understand that WD73734 only input PCM Stereo? If so, how can it output Dolby digital? But what if the Blu-ray disk came with TrueHD or DTS-HD? would those be converted into PCM Stereo or Dolby digital when it output to the AVR?

Thanks for helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
The HDMI specifications only require the TVs support PCM Stereo. All other audio is optional. The majority of TVs only support PCM Stereo via HDMI, this is the normal. Later TVs have started supporting Dolby Digital but usually only upto 5.1 and not Dolby Digital HD or DTS Master HD (the TVs cannot use 7.1 and the optical and coaxial outputs cannot handle 7.1 so there would be no reason for support).

The source device - Blu-ray player, Cable Box, Satellite receiver etc.- are required to support the conversion of audio to PCM Stereo - it is HDMI rules.

Your TV, per what you posted from the Owner's Guide, will only accept PCM Stereo via HDMI. It will support Dolby Digital (up to 5.1) from the Antenna input, it has too because Dobly Digital is the audio type on over the air broadcast. The digital audio output of the TV will send the type of digital audio the TV is receiveing (it will not convert digital audio in the TV, just passed thru). When you are receiving analog audio (analog channels or from separate Left and Right inputs) the TV will convert that to PCM Stereo for the digital audio output.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-09-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Darn, sounded like I need to pull extra cables from various input devices to AVR if I want to enjoy multi channels audio.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page