Help! I hate LCD motion, and I'm scared of Plasma IR/burn-in - Is DLP for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-10-2012, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I really don't want anything huge either.

37 to 42" is what I'm looking for.

I'm thinking of buying a used DLP Rear Projection set... which model(s) should I look for? Do they make new ones about this size? (I doubt it, but asking anyway).

I don't need the super crystal clarity of these newer LCDs either, it just makes me notice source artifacts.

Is a Samsung HL-R4266W okay? My only thing against it is only 720p resolution. I would prefer 1080p.

Edit: how is the input lag on these things btw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Mitsubishi is currently the only company still making dlp tv's with the smallest size in production being 73 inches. You may be able to find new old stock/used floor mode/gently used/refurbished units of the older 60 or 65 inchers still for sale.

I think the picture quality of the mits sets is really good when calibrated properly, though black levels can be somewhat lacking compared to plasmas, and the picture at least on my set looks remarkably better in the dark, and they do not suffer from motion blur or burn in. Most models require a bulb replacement every few years and some people have been known to see rainbow type artifacts when viewing (more common on older models as far as I can tell). I do not know any thing about the samsung model you posted, other then that a quick search tells me it is a 2005 model and is lacking in common features available on more modern sets and not being a 1080p set is a turn off for me.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #3 of 4 Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I would NOT get an older, small DLP. It WILL be more misery than joy I assure you. I especially recommend getting a 1080p DLP as 720 & 1080 are quite noticeably different. I also recommend the 73" if you can afford the space it requires, but it is WELL WORTH THE EFFORT in all possible ways. cool.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Amazon Marketplace has one new Mits 60 inch 1080p, from a new and unknown seller.

I'd bite the bullet and get a 73 inch, since you'd probably pay as much to get the last 60 or 65 inch models left, the features are more advanced, and you will enjoy the more immersive picture. I'd try to get one from a brick and mortar store near you. The only downside I've read about these are sets damaged in shipping...and I would get an extended warranty.

65 and 73 inch Mits DLPs seem to me to be the sweet spot for these sets, with my preference being the 73. Given the wattage and light output of Mits' 150-180W bulb, these sizes are bright, with pretty even illumination across the screen.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page