Sony KDF-E50A10 Bulb Replacement Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony Rear Projection, model KDF-E50A10 that I tried to replace the bulb on. I did my first bulb replacement on it about three years ago and it went smooth. This time when I replaced it, the TV didn't come on right away and after turning it on and off a couple of times it worked. After about 15 minutes I smelled a slight burning smell and swapped it back out with the old bulb. I tried putting it in again and the TV didn't come back on. I am going to try again tonight, but I wanted to throw this out there and see if anybody was familiar with this type of thing.

It is the entire bulb housing that slides in that I am replacing, not just the bulb.

Thanks so much

Somewhat of a Verizon FIOS insider....

Xbox Gamertag: Mikey Palmice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received a replacement bulb and the same thing happened to that one. Again, I put my old bulb back in and it works fine. When I put the new bulb in it worked at first and then when I turned off the TV and later turned it on it wouldn't work. Just like the first bulb I ordered.

Please help.

thanks

Somewhat of a Verizon FIOS insider....

Xbox Gamertag: Mikey Palmice
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice View Post

I have a Sony Rear Projection, model KDF-E50A10 that I tried to replace the bulb on. I did my first bulb replacement on it about three years ago and it went smooth. This time when I replaced it, the TV didn't come on right away and after turning it on and off a couple of times it worked. After about 15 minutes I smelled a slight burning smell and swapped it back out with the old bulb. I tried putting it in again and the TV didn't come back on. I am going to try again tonight, but I wanted to throw this out there and see if anybody was familiar with this type of thing.
It is the entire bulb housing that slides in that I am replacing, not just the bulb.
Thanks so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice View Post

I received a replacement bulb and the same thing happened to that one. Again, I put my old bulb back in and it works fine. When I put the new bulb in it worked at first and then when I turned off the TV and later turned it on it wouldn't work. Just like the first bulb I ordered.
Please help.
thanks

Several points: when you get a new lamp, always check it for stickers. I've seen new lamps shipped with plastic or paper stickers on the glass back of the lamps that some doofus puts there. The first time the lamp runs and the back of the lamp reaches a typical 400F, the stickers burn up. Also make sure that the insulation on the lamp leads is not touching the glass back of the lamp.

Second, there's a plague of Chinese no-name brand knockoff lamps out there. If your lamp doesn't say Sony or Philips or Osram on it, it's a cheap knockoff, probably sold for $30-40 on the internet. Their biggest problem is out-of-the-box failures, and if they work at all they don't last long, sometimes as little as three weeks, or as much as six months. A Sony or Philips or Osram should last as long as the original lamp in the tv did, 6,000 hours or so, depending on how many watts it is. They will cost $80-90.

I assume that you know that the lamp cover panel has to be replaced after you replace the lamp, or the tv will not turn on. There's a small switch inside the tv that the lamp door depresses when it is in place; the switch can be a problem. The peg on the door that hits it can miss it, etc.

There's a lamp fan above or beside the lamp that plugs up very easily with dust on these sets. Without cooling, the lamps won't last long. You have to take the back off the tv to get a look at it.

When your tv doesn't work there are service indication codes that the LEDs on the front will flash, that can be decoded into information to help resolve the problem.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony Kdf E50a10 50 Inch Lcd Rear Projection Television
Gear in this thread - E50a10 by PriceGrabber.com