Newbie getting ready to pull the trigger on a WD92840 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Real close to buying a 92840 but have some questions I can't seem to find answers to
on this forum.

Anyone purchased from "ONECALL" in Washington? good bad experience?

With the warranty companies that offer service is anyone better than others? Do they cover the bulb if you go 4 years? Thinking about SquareTrade or Geek Squad.

If I purchase the AW-NU231 adapter can I use the tv as a computer monitor on my network with a tablet? I've heard IPAD works with certain tv's but not sure of 92840?

Had an offer to buy a 92842 (2012) for $200.00 more than 92840 (2011). Have no plans for 3-D because I'm blind in one eye and 3-D doesn't work for me. What I've read says only difference is something with 3-D glasses.

Purpose of 92" is my great room large and TV to coach is approximately 20-25 ft.

I'm only waiting till Black Friday or Cyber Monday to get the best deal.

By the way I can't buy from Walt's because of sales tax issues ($300.)

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I can only answers some of your questions:

"If I purchase the AW-NU231 adapter can I use the tv as a computer monitor on my network with a tablet? I've heard IPAD works with certain tv's but not sure of 92840?"

No you cannot use your TV as a comptuer monitor by using the WiFi adapter. That adatper allows the VUDU Movies and VUDU apps to stream to your TV from your WiFi router, not your computer. VUDU is a type of internet delievered Video On Demand system. To connect your computer to your TV via WiFi, you should have DNLA in both the TV and your computer (without DNLA you would be very limited). The TV does not have DNLA software and you cannot add DNLA software to the TV.

The iPhone/iPad app for the TV does use the WiFi as well but the app is simply a touch screen remote control, not a method to transfer content from the iPhone/iPad to the TV.

You can directly connect your computer to the TV if your computer has HDMI output. Or if your computer has DVI output you can get a DVI-to-HDMI adapter cable. If your computer has DisplayPort output, there are DisplayPort-to-HDMI adatpers as well which would work. You should know in advance that since this is a projection TV (projects like a movie projector to the back of the screen) and not a direct view flat panel (like LCD or Plasma) there will be overscan. Overscan is when the projected image is slightly larger than the screen. This will cut off some of the computer picture if the computer is sending 1920 x 1080, preventing you from seeing some of the bottom control bar of a Windows desktop.. Overscan is on purpose to prevent the image from not filling the screen and to prevent the crap often found on the edges of cable signals from showing. Overscan on the TV cannot be removed, however many of the comptuer graphics cards can compensate and reduce the size of the image before sending it to the TV.

"With the warranty companies that offer service is anyone better than others? Do they cover the bulb if you go 4 years? Thinking about SquareTrade or Geek Squad."

I do not know a lot about the extended warranties available, however purchasing one just to cover the lamp is a bit of overkill. The replacement lamps cost $99 direclty from Mitsubishi. If you purchase an extended warranty, it should be for your peace of mind about the rest of the TV, not the lamp. Others can advise you about quality of extended warranties.

"Had an offer to buy a 92842 (2012) for $200.00 more than 92840 (2011). Have no plans for 3-D because I'm blind in one eye and 3-D doesn't work for me. What I've read says only difference is something with 3-D glasses."

There are more difference than the type of 3D glasses, however most of these are generational changes which are subtle and possibly not very important to you as an individual. These are also the type of changes that are almost impossible to list in spec sheets. Things like changes in some of the menu, changes in the way things are accessed, etc. While there may be improvements in the picture, both models can be made to look extermely good so it would be hard to say there are huge differences. Sometimes the changes are in the background to improve reliablity, ease of manufacture which helps reduce cost.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I never bought a TV from them but have done business before with them. They have a strong reputation and my experience was positive.

Just another blank signature.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Depending on your usage patterns, you will find the lamp on the 92" sets are not likely to last a long time. I replace my first one at 2000 hours. The set had lost more than half it brightness at that point. As has been pointed out the lamps are only $99 and take a couple of minutes to change.'

Just another blank signature.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

ok, the newbie pulled the trigger on a 92842. For 200.00 more I went for the 2012
model. Arrived today with white glove install from Paul' TV. Set looks good but haven't
spent more than 30min setting i up as I had to get back to work.
Heard yesterday about Mits canceling the big screens and while i thought about cancelling delivery for a Sharp 80" I'm glad I didn't.

The entire transaction at Paul's Tv went well if you looking. And I think I got a good deal
as I paid $500 less than the prices on EBAY. Bought the wireless adapter so I'll set that up on the weekend.

Thanks to all for the input it was a great help in the decision.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM

I purchased the MITS WD92840 from OneCall. I have done a great deal of business with OneCall and they never disappoint. The truck arrived with the TV in perfect condition. They even installed SHOCK detectors on the tv box so I would know if the TV had an impact that was not noticeable on the packaging.

The 92840 is a slightly better television than the 92842. I viewed them both at HH Gregg and the 92840 was the best and was much brighter.

I would not waste my money on an extended warranty. This television (being DLP) is very serviceable by a reasonably competent person. Lamps are a simple user replacement. The only other failures I have read about are DLP chip failures (also a relatively simple user fix(search for it on youtube)), and power board failures, which are a little bit more difficult but nothing like the nightmare of servicing a CRT. I repair radar for a living so my view might be a little different from the average person. But, all of the repairs I have just listed for this television can be done with screwdrivers and a multimeter. No need for a scope or power meter.

I have a OPPO BDP-95 and an NVIDIA GTX670 driving this television. It looks great with both.

If you want to get WIRELESS HD on this TV you must have an WIRELESS HD enabled device (I don't know about IPAD having one) but it usually adds $100-$150 to have it installed in a new laptop, and you must have a WIRELESS HD set. 99% of televisions do not ship with this feature included at this time. There is a box you can plug into an HDMI port on the television to give it this feature. That's exactly what you would have to do on a 92840/2 to achieve this feature set. Many places sell them. You can get one at newegg or TigerDirect.

There are more than just the 3D glasses difference on between the 92840 and /2 version. You can compare the exact differences on the mitsubishi tv site. They also have a downloadable pdf there that explains the exact differences in the features between each line. Getting 3D is a waste of time for the five movies that are actually available in 3D. It's more fun if you have a pc hooked up and you want to see the computer generated 3d content. I had fun just playing with the nvidia demos.

The only complaint I have had with my 92840 so far is the off axis viewing (from below) is not as clear as I would expect it to be.

No other complaints.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Oh, a little research/quick update. The /2 model has a VESA jack (an older pc video interconnect standard) for external 3D interace.

The TV also supports remote desktop via a proprietary application called VNC.

Here is a link to the software:
http://www.realvnc.com/products/vnc/

The big difference is that you would use the Ethernet jack to connect the computer to your pc either by network or less commonly directly. The details of whether this would be available over the wireless connection were not readily available. Thin client computing generally fails this way, so it's doubtful.

However, This is NOT WIRELESS HD. This is thin client computing, like a VAX client, BANNER, or UBUNTU LTSP. It would be interesting to see if you could get the TV to PXE boot to an LTSP server. Then you wouldn't need to worry about this proprietary VNC software.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page