New to the Forums and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone I am new to AVS and was highly recommended here by a friend who does a lot of Home Theater.
I've had plasma's LCD's LED's and have now traversed into new ground buying a "newused" DLP.
There has been some great threads on cleaning and maintenance but I was wondering if If anyone new any specs on my DLP.

I just purchased a Mitsubishi WD-73C8 and was wondering if anyone else had one. I have questions such as :

1.OEM lamp life,
2. How do you check lamp hours
3. What is the best setup for picture.
4. How old is this set? (i figured it to be at least a few years old)
5. Where does the WD-73C8 stand in the hierarchy of big screen Mitsu's
5. Is the 3D emitter built in or do I need the starter kit?
6. www.shopjimmy.com tried to tell me a 200w bulb as opposed to my OEM 180w bulb would give me a better picture, is this true?

I've dug through the forums but everyone seems to have a newer and nicer DLP than what I currently have. Since this is my first foray into the unknown it will inevitably end up in the garage for my mancave but I want to educate myself before I get a nicer set.

lastly is the Mistusbishi 92" really worth the thousands?

Again my apologies if this post is in the wrong thread and if my questions have been posted a million times but thank you for whoever can lend an ear to educate me.

Sincerely R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Turned the tv on this morning watched it for about 30 mins and heard a LOUD pop... lamp light is red so im assuming it was just the bulb (answers my bulb question) I've ordered another bulb for it and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. There is currently sound with no picture but the tv cuts itself off after about a minute of operation... is this normal after a bulb blowout? Is there any other damage that I should be concerned about? I'm just worried that something may have happened to the board during this evolution.... thoughts? input? advice?

Thanks,

R
Old 11-29-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Search for the owners thread. There is one for just about every series of TV.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8e39i View Post

Hello everyone I am new to AVS and was highly recommended here by a friend who does a lot of Home Theater.
I've had plasma's LCD's LED's and have now traversed into new ground buying a "newused" DLP.
There has been some great threads on cleaning and maintenance but I was wondering if If anyone new any specs on my DLP.
I just purchased a Mitsubishi WD-73C8 and was wondering if anyone else had one. I have questions such as :
1.OEM lamp life,
2. How do you check lamp hours
3. What is the best setup for picture.
4. How old is this set? (i figured it to be at least a few years old)
5. Where does the WD-73C8 stand in the hierarchy of big screen Mitsu's
5. Is the 3D emitter built in or do I need the starter kit?
6. www.shopjimmy.com tried to tell me a 200w bulb as opposed to my OEM 180w bulb would give me a better picture, is this true?
I've dug through the forums but everyone seems to have a newer and nicer DLP than what I currently have. Since this is my first foray into the unknown it will inevitably end up in the garage for my mancave but I want to educate myself before I get a nicer set.
lastly is the Mistusbishi 92" really worth the thousands?
Again my apologies if this post is in the wrong thread and if my questions have been posted a million times but thank you for whoever can lend an ear to educate me.
Sinc
erely R
1 You should get the lamp Mitsubishi designed the circuits to support so do not get a 200 watt lamp!!!!
2. Press MENU and wait for the main menu to display, then press 2, 4, 7, 0 to display the service menu. This menu shows the total hours, the TV does not show hours for the individual lamps only total TV hours.
3. Cannot be answered because you home environment has a big influence.
4. At least 4 years old but look at the back of the TV, it will tell the mouth and year it was made.
5. The "C" models are always the entry models for the model year.
5. (a second time) - That model requires the starter kit for any 3D that is not already Checkerboard. This link is Mitsubishi's tutorial on 3D for your model. http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/feature/3DTV/what_is_needed
However that TV does not have the IR emitter built in. It does have DLP Link built in.
6. Any company that tries to sell a lamp that is the incorrect or different then the original replacement lamp should be avoided!!! The TV's circuits are not designed to support a 200 watt lamp.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hey GEP thank you for being so thorough and helpful with my questions. i didn buy a lamp from shop jimmy and its been working well. i just dont feel as if im getting the best picture since i dont know where my calibration settings should be set at. again tjanks for all your help