Combining a broken Sony KDS60A2000 and a broken Sony KDS50A2000 into one working TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[Apologies if this should go in the KDS owner's thread.]

I recently inherited both a Sony KDS60A2000 and a Sony KDS50A2000 from a friend who used the Sony settlement to get two new TVs. They're both broken, but they're both broken in different ways. Can I cobble together one working big screen from the two of them?

The KDS60 has a "simple" problem: you guessed it, the green screen. I've read through the online documentation so I know what's involved in fixing this.

The KDS50, surprisingly, doesn't have the green screen issue, but as near as I can tell from Googling around, it has a faulty lamp power supply. The picture, not the sound, cuts off for 30 seconds or more every couple minutes, but the green light doesn't blink at all. It seems as far as the TV knows, everything's fine. One important wrinkle though is that when the TV starts up, I get the message that the lamp is near the end of its life. From my research, I don't think this is "lamp that's near dead" behaviour, but that's a possibility.

So my questions are…

Are the lamps compatible?
Clearly my first step should be moving the lamp from the KDS60 into the KDS50 and see if that solves the blink. However, I have no idea if those two parts are interchangeable. Yes, I could have figured that out in two minutes on my own, but why do that when I can spend 45 minutes writing a super-long post on AVS?

Are the lamp power supplies interchangeable? Are they removable? Is this process documented somewhere online?
One option would be to take the lamp power supply from the KDS60 and install it in the KDS50. I have no idea how feasible that is, however. I'm more worried about finding instructions than about doing the work: my girlfriend and I are both nerds who are well-familiar with the inside of a desktop computer, though admittedly neither of us have ever crawled around on the inside of a TV…

Are the optical blocks interchangeable?
Taking the optical block out of the KDS50 and putting it into the KDS60 would be the other option. Though this seems like an involved and time-consuming process, from looking at the guides online it looks pretty straightforward. And even though in abstract this process seems to be a bigger hassle than swapping the lamp power supplies, it's very well documented online with lots of pictures.

Is this even worth it?
If I could get a free or low-cost TV out of this in exchange for a little elbow grease, that would be great. But at the same time, I'm a firm believer in "it's only free if your time is worth nothing." If I'm going to spend the better part of a weekend on this, only to find out that it's not going to work out (or, worse, have a TV that's turning green three months from now), I'd rather just go buy a new TV and enjoy the rest of my Saturday.

Would it make more sense to just turn this over to a repairman?
I certainly don't mind letting go of money if that money is well-spent and saves me the hassle. But the thing is, nobody in my family watches a lot of TV, so we're unlikely to buy anything that costs much more than $600 (probably the Samsung PN51E450). No matter how much the KDS retailed for, to us it's just a $600 TV because that's what it's "replacing." The closer the repair bill inches towards $600, the less enthusiastic I'll be about the whole thing.

What in the world am I going to do with the carcasses when I'm done?
I mean, seriously. These things are huge. Do I take them to the dump? An electronic recycler? Or would I be able to sell them for parts, particularly if I decide that this whole issue is just more trouble than it's worth and don't even touch them? A working optical block and a lamp has to be worth something...

That's all I can think of. Thanks for reading my overly wordy post…I can't tell you how glad I was to discover AVS and a community as knowledgeable, capable, and enthusiastic as you guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 PM

Liked: 13
In short: If you want to make money, sell the parts. If you want a working (for now) tv, fix it yourself.

I'm not sure how interchangeable the parts are. The best way to find out is just to open them up and compare the part numbers.

Even if you spend a weekend trying to repair them and have no luck, you'll still learn a few things in the process, and for some that may be considered worth it. I'm not sure if you enjoy taking things apart or not. If you do, you'll derive a lot of satisfaction just from trying to work on it.

Assuming you manage to get one of them working, it's unlikely that your frankentv would continue working for a long time anyhow. At least, not as long as a brand new one. The parts in both those tvs probably have many hours on them, and the failure that occurred on one is likely to occur on the other within a short time.

So I would relegate it to a fun project, to enjoy the thrill of watching a tv you rebuilt with your own hands. If you just want a no-hassle tv that will work for several years trouble-free, you are much better off buying a new one.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

A few updates, courtesy of a poster at Metafilter:

The lamps are compatible, according to this page, which implies the power supplies will be compatible as well. I swap the lamps tonight and see if that fixes the 50, but I doubt it will.

So the real question becomes: is the lamp power supply user-replaceable? I looked through this set of photos, and I don't see where the power supply would be. Maybe step 22?

Also, the optical blocks have different part numbers, so presumably they're not swappable.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

DarkVenture, thanks for your advice! I think I'm leaning pretty heavily to "let's just go buy a TV" if changing lamps doesn't work; I'm sure it would be a fun weekend project--for some definitions of "fun"--but with the holidays coming up I either need to get one of these fixed or get them both out of my living room.

You mentioned selling the parts...any idea how to go about that? Sorry I'm so clueless here, I've just never had to deal with something like this. Craigslist? Calling around repair shops?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nofer View Post

[Apologies if this should go in the KDS owner's thread.]
I recently inherited both a Sony KDS60A2000 and a Sony KDS50A2000 from a friend who used the Sony settlement to get two new TVs. They're both broken, but they're both broken in different ways. Can I cobble together one working big screen from the two of them?
The KDS60 has a "simple" problem: you guessed it, the green screen. I've read through the online documentation so I know what's involved in fixing this.
The KDS50, surprisingly, doesn't have the green screen issue, but as near as I can tell from Googling around, it has a faulty lamp power supply. The picture, not the sound, cuts off for 30 seconds or more every couple minutes, but the green light doesn't blink at all. It seems as far as the TV knows, everything's fine. One important wrinkle though is that when the TV starts up, I get the message that the lamp is near the end of its life. From my research, I don't think this is "lamp that's near dead" behaviour, but that's a possibility.
So my questions are…
Are the lamps compatible?
Clearly my first step should be moving the lamp from the KDS60 into the KDS50 and see if that solves the blink. However, I have no idea if those two parts are interchangeable. Yes, I could have figured that out in two minutes on my own, but why do that when I can spend 45 minutes writing a super-long post on AVS?
Are the lamp power supplies interchangeable? Are they removable? Is this process documented somewhere online?
One option would be to take the lamp power supply from the KDS60 and install it in the KDS50. I have no idea how feasible that is, however. I'm more worried about finding instructions than about doing the work: my girlfriend and I are both nerds who are well-familiar with the inside of a desktop computer, though admittedly neither of us have ever crawled around on the inside of a TV…
Are the optical blocks interchangeable?
Taking the optical block out of the KDS50 and putting it into the KDS60 would be the other option. Though this seems like an involved and time-consuming process, from looking at the guides online it looks pretty straightforward. And even though in abstract this process seems to be a bigger hassle than swapping the lamp power supplies, it's very well documented online with lots of pictures.
Is this even worth it?
If I could get a free or low-cost TV out of this in exchange for a little elbow grease, that would be great. But at the same time, I'm a firm believer in "it's only free if your time is worth nothing." If I'm going to spend the better part of a weekend on this, only to find out that it's not going to work out (or, worse, have a TV that's turning green three months from now), I'd rather just go buy a new TV and enjoy the rest of my Saturday.
Would it make more sense to just turn this over to a repairman?
I certainly don't mind letting go of money if that money is well-spent and saves me the hassle. But the thing is, nobody in my family watches a lot of TV, so we're unlikely to buy anything that costs much more than $600 (probably the Samsung PN51E450). No matter how much the KDS retailed for, to us it's just a $600 TV because that's what it's "replacing." The closer the repair bill inches towards $600, the less enthusiastic I'll be about the whole thing.
What in the world am I going to do with the carcasses when I'm done?
I mean, seriously. These things are huge. Do I take them to the dump? An electronic recycler? Or would I be able to sell them for parts, particularly if I decide that this whole issue is just more trouble than it's worth and don't even touch them? A working optical block and a lamp has to be worth something...
That's all I can think of. Thanks for reading my overly wordy post…I can't tell you how glad I was to discover AVS and a community as knowledgeable, capable, and enthusiastic as you guys!

The lamps are the same, and the lamp ballasts are the same. All the electronics are going to be interchangeable. It makes much more sense to fix the 60" than to fix the 50", so I would just swap the light engine from the 50" into the 60". The part numbers for the light engines might be different, but they will still be interchangeable. The only trivial issue you might have is that deep inside the service menu of the resulting 60" tv, it would think that it's a 50". Kind of an identity crisis but irrelevant.

The lamp power supply is very easy to change out or swap if you go that way.

The 50" probably just has a failed lamp, there's an epidemic of cheap Chinese knockoff lamps going around, that don't last long.

If you get one of them working, someone here can look up the procedure to clear the lamp message. I can't remember it off the top of my head. As you suspected, it often goes on long before the lamp really blows.

When you are done sell the leftover set on Craigslist for $50.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-13-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, Chuck. You've taken me from "forget this" to "eh, it's worth a shot." I think my game plan for this weekend will be:

1. Change the lamp, see if that fixes the blink.
2. If not, take the TVs apart to swap the optical blocks.
3. Along the way, discover where the lamp power supply is and note it for later.
4. If the optical block swap doesn't work, swap the lamp power supplies.
5. And if that doesn't work, I'll go buy a TV. (Also, it's possible I might skip steps 2-4. wink.gif )

I'll report back and let you guys know how it goes.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

It worked! I now have a 60" television after about three hours of work. Well, 45 minutes of work on my end...my girlfriend saw me floundering around and snatched the screwdriver out of my hand. We just pulled the entire optical block out of the 50 and put it in, and it worked from the start.

We stripped the 50 of all parts, to keep as a backup just in case, and I've found an electronic recycler who'll take the husk.

We were helped immeasurably by this video, which is a step-by-step guide to removing (and repairing) the optical block. If you found this page through Google, I highly recommend it.

I know the TV won't last forever, but every day it works is a day I don't have to go buy a new one. Thanks your help, guys...I really appreciate it.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Philips Lighting Sony Kds 60a2000 Kds60a2000 Lamp With Housing Xl5200 , Sony Kds 50a2000 Kds50a2000 Bare Lamp Xl5200 , Philips Lighting Sony Kds 50a2000 Kds50a2000 Lamp With Housing Xl5200
Gear in this thread - 60a2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page