Mitsubishi WD - 52527 Optical Engine HELP!!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been searching for a decent optical engine for parts or a well priced unit under 300 dollars. 600 dollars for a new unit is a joke for a tv this old. I have a few pics of what is wrong with my light engine below. In the second image then lens that is infront of the melted lens appears to have a yellow tint is that normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Try www.shopjimmy.com as they may have the parts you need.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

They didn't have what I was looking for. Is there anyway to just order that lens from someone and what do I call the damaged lens.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by C01DF1R3 View Post

I have been searching for a decent optical engine for parts or a well priced unit under 300 dollars. 600 dollars for a new unit is a joke for a tv this old. I have a few pics of what is wrong with my light engine below. In the second image then lens that is infront of the melted lens appears to have a yellow tint is that normal?

That's called the PBS Array, for Polarizing Beam Splitter Array. This set is one of the few models of 3-LCD rear projection tvs that Mits made. This is nothing like a DLP. Mits doesn't sell that part for the internals of the LE, Panasonic is the only vendor I know of that sells internal parts, and you wouldn't like their prices.

The good news is that any 3-LCD rear projector tvs will have that part. Any Sony that's NOT an SXRD, any Panasonic LCD rear projection, any Zenith E44 or 48, any Hitachi LCD rear projection, any other Mits LCD rear projection. These don't generally burn up even in Mits, I've never seen one burned in other models.

Check the polarizing input filters, they are the three things that stayed with the light engine lid. Don't remove them from the lid because they are set at precise angles. The one in the blue channel sometimes gets fried. Don't take it apart any further!

I can't tell what it is that you said is yellowed. What did the picture on the tv look like before you took it apart?

Search Craigslist for a cheapie 3-LCD. Sony's WE610 series tend to be dirt cheap, esp the 42".
post #5 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Anything that should show white doesm't. It has a yellow tint over 90% of the screen. I cant stand the fact that it doesn't look white.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

So are you also saying that that lens has the same dimensions in any rear projection lcd.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by C01DF1R3 View Post

So are you also saying that that lens has the same dimensions in any rear projection lcd.

Any rear projection LCD that's not an LCOS/SXRD/DiLA.

The one in my old Sony measures 2" x 2". It's a WE610/WE655/WF610/WF655 family. 2" x 2" is a common size in optical components.

I can't tell if the one in your Mits has the corners knocked off or if that's just the plastic frame. Sometimes the mounting plastic frame will have differences. It might just drop into slots. Don't try and cut the PBS Array, it's made of many long thin prisms made of tough glass glued edge to edge. Just get it in there somehow with the plastic strips on the same side as in the Mits. It's precise location is not critical because it's not a lens. Keep the shiny aluminum grating together with the PBS it came with and in the same orientation.

Best to look for an old Sony, they are very common and cheap, and I've never seen one of those burn up in a Sony.

You might also find another one of whatever is turning yellow.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

The plastic frame you are reffering to is for a lens that is glued in infront of the damaged one. If you look closely just past the plastic you can see the top of the metal bracket it goes in and just slides in.

The corners are not cut off.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page