Samsung HLP-5063W - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-17-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a 8 year old Samsung HLP-5063W. Recently it's been having trouble turning on and staying on. When you first turn it on the lamp light blinks for a few seconds and then you either hear a high pitch sound as it spins up or you don't. If you don't then it doesn't come on at all. Seems to try 3 times then starts blinking all 3 lights on the front. If you do hear the sound it comes on, but most of the time it just shuts itself off after 30 seconds or so. Usually there is a flash of a black and white picture just before it shuts down. Other times it will come on and work just fine until the next time you try to turn it on.

I just ordered a new 60" Samsun LED TV which will be here on Thursday, so it's being replaced. However I'm wondering if it's worth spending the time/money to fix the DLP to give to a family member? Or if I should just chuck it in the trash? Overall it's been a pretty good TV. The color wheel busted once, which cost like $300 to fix and the lamp has had to be replaced every 2 years or so which is a bit expensive, but all in all it's worked well for us so I'd hate to just chuck it. But then again you can buy a 32" LCD these days for $300 so it may not be worth even considering fixing.

Any advice? Also does anyone know what the potential problem might be? I just replaced the bulb like 4 months ago so I don't think it's that. I heard that there is some sort of ballast for the bulb that is user replaceable, could that be it? Or do you think it's the color wheel? It happens right as the TV is turned on, so I don't think it's an overheating issue. More likely something isn't spinning up properly. (again seems to point to the color wheel)

Dan

Developer for VideoReDo

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page