AVS Forum banner

DLP Chip Repair Possible?

53K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  nickels55 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a WD-73733 DLP with about 100 white and black dots all over the screen. Ive been doing some research and was wondering if these chips just burn out over time and there is any way to repair them? Is this issue caused by heat or just being at the end of its life? Could a reflow possibly repair the chip? Thanks.

#2 ·
A TV that old needs to be put out of its misery.

It's either beyond repair or not even possible to repair due to its age and lack of parts, or it just wouldn't be cost effective.

If you've really done all that much research then you should already know the answer to this as this is kind of a common problem. In fact the answer you are looking for is in a thread near the bottom of the first page in this forum.

#3 ·
Yes I understand it is a common problem. And it looks like the only way is to purchase a new DLP Chip. But I was just wondering if a reflow would solve the problem? If i purchase a new chip is there any preventive maintenance to perform so this not happen again? Thanks..

#4 ·

Quote:
A TV that old needs to be put out of its misery.
A fast search tells me it is a 2007 model. Five years is old??? Yea, right.

Sorry kid, that's not old.

The first question is; do you have the Service Manual? Second question, have you searched for parts?

Reactions: vilfrard
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce  /t/1448077/dlp-chip-repair-possible#post_22756471

A fast search tells me it is a 2007 model. Five years is old??? Yea, right.

Sorry kid, that's not old.

The first question is; do you have the Service Manual? Second question, have you searched for parts?

Here you go again Bruce trying to stir the pot (Have you looked up what a Darblet is yet...?
). 5 years is very old in the RPTV world. When you consider how much a brand new version of his set would cost, plus factoring in how much it would cost to fix his old 1 if he is able to and, yea, it's time to put that OLD TV out of it's misery.

In reality that TV might be closer to 6 years old since we're closing in on the period of time in which Mits typically releases their TV's (spring time).

#6 ·
Why don't you leave your two bit comments to yourself. If he wanted to get rid of the set, he wouldn't of asked.

What are the replacement choices? LCD? Plasma? One is a step down (or two), the other has reflection problems that needs a light controlled room.

Your mentality is just what the CEA loves, throw something out if it is more than few years old. There is no reason these shouldn't last 10 years under normal use. Just because you think it is old, doesn't mean it is or should be considered "old". Apparently you have succumbed to the 'mobile electronic toys' mentality. Throw it out in two years.

The only one that is "stirring up the pot" is you blasting out narrow minded opinions.

#8 ·
I don't see any possible way to do a "repair" on something like that. Unless it is just the associated circuity that went south. I kinda doubt it's a case of cold solder joints, but you can always try.

There is a "sticky" at the top of the sub-forums page with a ton of information through links here and elsewhere that will help you.

Good luck and post back.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpimp024  /t/1448077/dlp-chip-repair-possible#post_22757834

Im going to fix the TV either way. Im going to buy a new DLP chip unless there is any possible way to fix the current chip? I only posted on this forum to ask if anyone knows if the original chip can be repaired by a reflow? If not ill buy a replacement.

I believe I heard from someone with connections to the TI DLP group that this defect was caused by the mirrors becoming physically stuck, by a substance inside the assembly. Normally, the electrical charges are strong enough to overcome the lubricant, but they changed to something that ended up getting too sticky in the long run. Notice how this problem only began to happen in a particular generation of DLP chips. I just wonder if they realized the defect and corrected the problem. Still, $200 isn't too bad to get back to a good looking pic.

#13 ·
The bad DMD chips were produced by TI. They got into both Mitsubishi and Samsung DLP TVs. It seems 2007 was the model year most affected. It's not like all DLP's will have this problem, especially not the newer ones. It's similar to the capacitor problem recently, when a bunch of manufacturers got a hold of some bad capacitors from a supplier. You can read about that all over this forum is as well.

#15 ·
#16 ·
I see the video even tells you to take pictures. Did you? Especially since you already started a thread on it and would post back.

You cover your tracks that way. Also, if you ever had to do it again you have your own documentation.

I can't believe they wasted time showing the unscrewing of every screw.

Link added to my repair thread.

#17 ·
My remaining concern is the life expectancy of the replacement chips offered for repair. When you buy used, what is the source for these and how much use do they have already? If you pay for Mits to supply the chip, is the new replacement a new version that will not have this defect again in the future? I've asked people who have had their tv's repaired to document part numbers, but so far I've seen no feedback.

#19 ·
My impression of shopjimmy was that he is sort of a salvage yard of used tv parts. I may be wrong though.

But I'd still like to know if Mits is replacing with a new, identical part, or if there is actually a new revision of the DMD device being used.

#20 ·
I have the 73" dlp tv. I appreciate all of the information on the dmd chip replacement. Contacted Mitsubishi and gave all the information to them like you said. I don't know the cost yet, they have to find a authorized service dealer in my area. They are sending the replacement chip to the dealer and are going to schedule an appointment. Thanks for all of the information and guidance.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab  /t/1448077/dlp-chip-repair-possible#post_22831551

My impression of shopjimmy was that he is sort of a salvage yard of used tv parts. I may be wrong though.

But I'd still like to know if Mits is replacing with a new, identical part, or if there is actually a new revision of the DMD device being used.

ShopJimmy sells new DMD chips for DLP rear projection TVs.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones  /t/1448077/dlp-chip-repair-possible#post_23518701

ShopJimmy sells new DMD chips for DLP rear projection TVs.

This is good to know. For those buying from them, I'd suggest asking them to send you one with the most recent date code possible. Just to increase the chances that you get one with all the improvements/fixes.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyabigtv  /t/1448077/dlp-chip-repair-possible#post_23583680

I bought my chip from ShopJimmys for my WD65C9 at $180. and did the install myself. TV works as new.

I posted this question in another thread but will try here also. Can anyone tell me if there is a clear protective plastic or something over the mirror on the replacement chips that needs to be removed prior

to swap? I replaced the chip on my 73735 yesterday and my white/black dots are gone but now I have what I will call a "screen door" effect across the whole screen that I did not have prior to replacement.

This is real noticeable on light or white background. I thought I looked at the replacement chip and don't remember seeing anything on the mirror side of the chip. If no protective shield does anyone have

any idea as to why I might be getting this now?

Thanks, Gerry

#25 ·
The DMD replacement is a piece of cake, but I replace/install processors in computers enough to be comfortable with it. The most critical part is keeping dust off the main lens and keeping it dust-free while replacing the DMD. The DMD motherboard has to be removed to release the DMD from its socket. There is a small gap between the DMD board and the metal tray it goes into. I put pieces of masking tape over he gap on each side and cut the tape with an Exacto knife. Doing this makes getting the board aligned correctly much easier when it is re-installed. A geometry adjustment tweak in the service menu might still be needed since there is probably a bit of socket tolerance chip-to-chip.

ggw2000. Take the back cover off again and make sure the light engine is mounted correctly. Mine caught on a plastic tab when I put it back in and I had to lift up on it a bit to get it to slide back in and catch the alignment screws. Make sure no wires, etc. got caught between the light engine and place it goes into.

#27 ·

Thank you for your help. I just called Mitsubishi and got my repair for Wd 73733 year 2007 for $200 repairs only. I am very pleased and I thank you for the post which allowed me to get my repairs done with free genuine Mitsubishi parts. I am glad to pay the $200 because this is a really big T.V. with lots of weight to it. I am glad someone else will do the work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.