LED conversion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Mitsibishi 60c8470 that has about 7000 hours on its original bulb. So im expecting it to blow any day now.

When I first was buying the set I wanted the samsung led set cause of no warm up time and longer bulb life. Im curious if the mitsubishi can be converted to run an led bulb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
1. It's a lamp,
2. There have been reports of over 12k hours on lamps,
3. The Samsung light source is/was a " PhlatLight". A form of a LED, though using just the term "LED" is misleading. Regular LED's are no where close to being bright enough.
4. To answer your question; NO. (Unless you have a team of engineers that can modify a Samsung PhlatLight to work with your TV. wink.gif)

More info here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Light_Processing
Even though the misleading term "LED" is used. About as bad as the grossly incorrect term "LED TV". rolleyes.gif

Shop for a lamp, or an entire lamp assembly. Keep the original as a spare if/when the replacement dies. Look through the 'sticky' at the top of the page of the repair thread.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Conversion... highly unlikely. The LED light source models do away with the spinning color wheel, and use three (Red, Green, Blue) LEDs. LEDs can flash on/off that fast. The only thing that might be "possible" would be to replace the bulb with a high power white LED. Beyond having to modify/build a custom ballast, White LEDs are known to have a pretty awful overall color spectrum. Even after callibration with a colorometer that would be necessary, I doubt the result would look good.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page