How do 60+ inch RP DLPs compare to same sized LCD/LEDs in performance and price? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-29-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Recently replaced my old broken Pioneer 64" with a black Friday Vizio 60" LCD/LED and it just died after less than a month of use. They are sending me a replacement but being the prospective HT nut that I am, I am already thinking what I want to do with my $700 if the replacement has any problems at all and I return it to Walmart for cash.

Last DLP I owned was a 42" Samsung which worked perfectly for about 3 years and then had a #2 failure. Replaced that and now it has failed again with at least a bad bulb but at worst a bad color wheel... both of which I can replace if I can come up with the money in this crappy economy.

Loved the image and the relative lack of motion blurring on the DLP though so wondered what the current state of DLP is with regard to image, blurring, connectivity and of course price per the inch, so to speak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

Recently replaced my old broken Pioneer 64" with a black Friday Vizio 60" LCD/LED and it just died after less than a month of use. They are sending me a replacement but being the prospective HT nut that I am, I am already thinking what I want to do with my $700 if the replacement has any problems at all and I return it to Walmart for cash.
Last DLP I owned was a 42" Samsung which worked perfectly for about 3 years and then had a #2 failure. Replaced that and now it has failed again with at least a bad bulb but at worst a bad color wheel... both of which I can replace if I can come up with the money in this crappy economy.
Loved the image and the relative lack of motion blurring on the DLP though so wondered what the current state of DLP is with regard to image, blurring, connectivity and of course price per the inch, so to speak?

The current state of DLP RPTV is 'there is no future for RPTVs". DLP is now used primarily in projectors. I own the last model of DLP RPTVs that Samsung made, that was back in 2008. Model HL61A750, which had no color wheel or lamps, just PHAT LEDs. I'm reading that the LEDs are starting to fail on these units, though I have had no issues yet. Beautiful piciture for the money. Mitsubishi is apparently the last brand to depart from the RPTV format.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page