Connecting a Blu-ray Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the best way to connect a Blu-ray player with HDMI connector to my 10 yr-old Pioneer Elite Pro-510HD?

Attached is a schematic of the back panel of my EP-510HD

Pionner Elit - Back Panel.jpg 1484k .jpg file

I look forward to "good" news...since I've been told it can't be done...that I need to buy a new TV. However, I love my 510HD and will NOT part with it.

Thanks,
JavierP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pionner Elit - Back Panel.jpg (1.45 MB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Why are you wasting your time with HDMI on that TV? First of all it can't or shouldn't be done. There is no adapter except for HDFury that will do what you want. And that would be a complete waste of money IMO. The picture will look no better than your already excellent 1080i Blu Ray rendering via component on that display. In fact, the Component picture will look much better because your 510 HDTV is optimized for it with 1080i only. IF you want 1080p or 3D with your new Blu-Ray player...bite the bullet and get yourself a new display that will handle that resolution and format. And too your surprise...it still may not look as good as the same Blu-Ray through your 510 and component in terms of color fidelity, black & shadow details and richness of the HD image. That's a 1080i CRT thing and advantage best discussed in the "Don't Dump Your RPCRT" thread in the Rear Projection section this Display section of the forum.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I can't tell in the picture, is there a DVI port? If so then it is a simple hdmi to dvi cable.

If not, there really isn't any advantage to using hdmi vs. component UNLESS you have a new bluray player that doesn't have component.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Paco the 510 does not have DVI or HDMI. I have a Pioneer 620 and even they didn't have DVI or HDMI. The only models that did have DVI were the 530,630 and 730 models. Javier you'll have to hook up your Bluray via component cables. The only issue is no Bluray player made in the past 14 months comes with component outputs. They only use HDMI to transmit the HD signal. Now before you fret or buy the HDFury adaptor that converts HDMI to component you should be aware that Sony PS3's have a simple attachment cable that costs 15.00 that you hook up to the PS3 that sends the HD signal via component as a direct connection without the use of outboard decoding.

I've used my PS3 for years with my Pioneer 620 and my image still blows my plasma out of the water.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, UofAZ1, for your thorough response and excellent suggestion. As you may have guessed, I am a "newbie" to the world of electronic/TV components. Although I've owned my Pioneer Elite Pro-510HD for 10 years, I've never had any major problems, and when I did I used to call a tech to service my home theater system...unfortunately he went out of business and did not leave a forwarding address or phone number. Now I am on my own until I can find someone to help me or learn who to do some of the basic hook-ups - like the Blu-ray player.

Now, to make sure I understood your suggestion is this the PS3 attachment cable that you discussed? (See attached picture)

Sony Component AV Cable.jpg 40k .jpg file

Thank you for your help,
Javier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony Component AV Cable.jpg (40.5 KB, 6 views)
post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, barrelbelly, for your response.

Javier
post #7 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

That will only work if you have a PS3 or plan on getting one - which if you do not have a bluray player will work for that also.

Another option if you haven't purchased a bluray player yet is to buy a used or new old stock unit that has component out.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Javier that is the cable you'll need. Paco is also right if you can find an older Bluray player with component out that will also work. Pawn shops sometimes carry them but there is no warranty like a new PS3 will have.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

You can find plenty of Blu-Ray players out there with component outputs as others have suggested. Try Amazon ( the best choice), Fry's, JR's Music World, EBay or others. You may even luck up and find a gem like any of the Oppo Blu-Rays. They can be had inexpensively. Pannasonic made some really great ones such as the BD-35, 85 and later Models before they switched to all HDMI. The older models are just as good as the new ones without component. The new ones just have faster load times. I also think the PS3 is an excellent idea. Keep the Pioneer as long as you can. The new tech can't touch it when properly calibrated and running right IMO. Good Luck.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you...Paco...barelbelly and UofAZ1...for your continual assistance.
I appreciate the suggetion to use a PS3, but I am not a "gamer" so can't justify the expense just to use as a converter. Also, I would consider buying an older Bluray player, but I would like to convenience of WiFi in the newer units.

I was doing some reasearch and found a converter that may work. I would like your opinion on the "HDMI to Component (YPbPr) & R/L Stereo Audio Converter" (see attached picture). I found this converter at the followingg site: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8125&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

HDMI Converter.jpg 42k .jpg file

I appreciate your help and patience!
Javier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDMI Converter.jpg (42.1 KB, 6 views)
post #11 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Javier...IMHO you need to not waste your money on stuff like this. And perhaps just bite the bullet and buy a new HDTV with as many HDMI inputs as you need. The monoprice box will work. But it will not be HDMI into your display. And will most likely be a degraded signal. You may even convince yourself that the degraded signal looks better. But over time you will see it for what it is. I bought a converter similar to that for my first XBox 360...which didn't have HDMI. It worked...but brought absolutely nothing to the table that I didn't already have with Component and the optical output. A complete waste of my money. I later bought a new XBox 360 with HDMI...after my launch model died. There was no difference at all between the Component version and HDMI version in terms of PQ. It seems to me you just want to use an HDMI cable...even though your display was not made to work optimally with it. That's why I think you'd just be better off selling your Pioneer and moving on to a newer HDTV that can accommodate the cable you want to use.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, barrelbelly, for your response but I am not ready to get rid of my 510-HD. Not only because I would have to get new cabinets in the family room since they were built around the TV, but because I love my 510-HD and it works perfectly well. I will keep searching for an affordable solution or I may just give-up on the Bluray/WiFi idea. I only wish I had a better understanding of my home theater system or could find a tech in SoCa to help me with a work-around plan.

Take Care,
Javier
post #13 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Another thought for you. Buy a used XBox 360 at Gamestop. And use the Component dongle for your wifi & streaming and etc. You don't have to use it for gaming at all because it is a comprehensive multimedia device. Subscribe to XBox Live for $49.99 and you are good to go with a solution that marries up well with the 510. Then just buy a real cheap $40-$60 discontinued Blu-Ray player like the Toshiba's or 2 year old Pannasonic's that usually have a component output for your HD Movies. Good luck on your quest.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

There are older bluray players with wifi or even if it isn't built in can use a wifi dongle to go wifi. Why is wifi important if you don't mind me asking?
post #15 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

post #16 of 18 Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

You don't have to be a gamer to enjoy the PS3. First off the PS3 year after year gets top scores as a Bluray player. Sony also frequently notifies you of updates which if you have wifi is great. It also is fantastic as a media hub for connecting to Netflix, Hulu+ and new movies that are just released on Bluray/DVD. You can also use it as a music storage server and tons of other uses. That and it plays games. I use my PS3 for only 10% games. The PS3 is so much more than a game system. It is a must have for an all in one device especially on older TV's
post #17 of 18 Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

You don't have to be a gamer to enjoy the PS3. First off the PS3 year after year gets top scores as a Bluray player. Sony also frequently notifies you of updates which if you have wifi is great. It also is fantastic as a media hub for connecting to Netflix, Hulu+ and new movies that are just released on Bluray/DVD. You can also use it as a music storage server and tons of other uses. That and it plays games. I use my PS3 for only 10% games. The PS3 is so much more than a game system. It is a must have for an all in one device especially on older TV's

+1...I completely agree with you on this. I suggested the XBox 360 because it read like the OP had already purchased a Blu-Ray player. So all he needed to do was get a quality media player like the XBox 360 and use a Component dongle with it instead of an HDMI cable. All said...IMO he will be much more satisfied long term by grabbing a new or used PS3 and just connecting the component outputs to his excellent Pioneer 510. That way, when the 510 ultimately dies and he changes to a fixed pixel display with HDMI...he'll still have a supremely useful HDMI device with a built in Blu-Ray player (PS3 or XBox 360) to partner up with it. And if he is just a wee bit patient...and wait out the upcoming PS 4 announcements, he may be able to grab a closeout PS3 at a Pirate's price. But ala...Javier P...it seems to me like the seductive spending snake has charmed you pretty good. And you are just hell-bent on spending a few dollars to solve a problem that really doesn't exist.smile.gif Trust me on this one...That Monoprice device or Fury device will just end up being useless inventory in your house within 1-2 years.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 PM

Javier,

I have been using a Fury III with a Pioneer Elite Pro 510 for about 2 years. I use the RGB connection from the Fury III. The blueray player I have is the Oppo 83SE. I can tell you from experience that the picture quality from the Oppo is significantly better from the HDMI connection than it is from the component connection. The Oppo uses a better video processor on HDMI than it does on the component output. I used to have a Theta Carmen II that would produce the same quality picture from component that the Oppo does on HDMI with standard DVD.

As a bonus i use a Direct TV HDR23-700 unit, and the HDMI to Fury III produces a significantly better picture than the component output does. Yes you are limited to 1080I.

You will need to look at the specifications of the Blueray player you are using and see if they use the same video processor for HDMI as component. I remember when I bought the Oppo 83SE, the reviews I read reported that the video processing for HDMI was superior to the video processing on component.

For me the Fury III was worth the money.

Good Luck
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page