Samsung DLP - Turning off in spite of new lamp, & color wheel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problem: Samsung DLP turns off after a few minutes and three flashing lights then occur.
Steps I have already done:
(1) New color wheel was replaced yesterday - Samsung tv was whining and getting louder, although the picture was still very good. I also replaced the larger fan since it was making some noise also.
(2) The lamp was replaced today - Old Samsung lamp had 27,000+hours on it (really). The back case is all attached so the kill switch is properly seated (that little blue arm in the back).
(3) Upon resetting the lamp hours to zero via the remote, the tv started cycling on/off for about 6-7 times.
(4) I read on the AVS forum while this was happening to unplug the tv and wait for about 5 minutes, then plug it back in and hit the power on the tv, not the remote. The audio came on then, but no picture, and now the three flashing lights are blinking (timer, lamp, temp) and then the tv would eventually power off. That being said, it made me believe there was a lamp issue - but it is brand new today.
(5) AVS forum then suggested to re-seat the lamp - I did that and the picture came up, but only for about 1 min and then it powered off and the three flashing lights are back on.
HELP NEEDED Please: I have it now unplugged and am baffled at what to do next. I dread calling a "Samsung certified repairman" given it will probably cost hundreds that I don't have. I really love this tv and would appreciate your help in extending this tv via "AVS CPR" for another few years until I finish grad school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Did your old lamp still work or did you replace it because it blew? If it worked, try it in there and see what happens.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 AM

it also could be a weak ballast.ours acted like that after replacing the bulb and that was the issue.just a thought
post #4 of 16 Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

After replacing the color wheel, the symptom was that tv would turn off after a few minutes. The old lamp had more than 27,000 hours on it and it was advised to replace it based on AVS threads and a technician.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Is that "ballast" issue with your tv an item that you replaced or you had to have a Samsung tv repair expert to do?
post #6 of 16 Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

The ballast can be replaced fairly easily, follow the wires from the lamp - the other end is the ballast smile.gif

If it didn't do it before the color wheel, then I'd go back and redo all of the connections that you touched when you did the color wheel. Could be the rpm sensor on the color wheel also.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPretty View Post

Problem: Samsung DLP turns off after a few minutes and three flashing lights then occur.
Steps I have already done:
(1) New color wheel was replaced yesterday - Samsung tv was whining and getting louder, although the picture was still very good. I also replaced the larger fan since it was making some noise also.
(2) The lamp was replaced today - Old Samsung lamp had 27,000+hours on it (really). The back case is all attached so the kill switch is properly seated (that little blue arm in the back).
(3) Upon resetting the lamp hours to zero via the remote, the tv started cycling on/off for about 6-7 times.
(4) I read on the AVS forum while this was happening to unplug the tv and wait for about 5 minutes, then plug it back in and hit the power on the tv, not the remote. The audio came on then, but no picture, and now the three flashing lights are blinking (timer, lamp, temp) and then the tv would eventually power off. That being said, it made me believe there was a lamp issue - but it is brand new today.
(5) AVS forum then suggested to re-seat the lamp - I did that and the picture came up, but only for about 1 min and then it powered off and the three flashing lights are back on.
HELP NEEDED Please: I have it now unplugged and am baffled at what to do next. I dread calling a "Samsung certified repairman" given it will probably cost hundreds that I don't have. I really love this tv and would appreciate your help in extending this tv via "AVS CPR" for another few years until I finish grad school.

Please provide the complete model number of the tv. Are the three lights flashing synchronized or alternating in some kind of pattern?

You said 'lamp was replaced today', did you do that yourself? Where did you get the lamp, and/or what did it cost, and/or what manufacturers' name was on it?

There are many sellers offering Chinese knock-off lamps on ebay and other sites for $38-40. They have a high out-of-box failure rate, or are just flaky. When they work they rarely last more than six months. Stick with Philips or Osram lamps.

The suggestion to put the old lamp in and see what happens is a good plan.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

The model of my Samsung DLP is HLN507W1X/XAA.

To answer your other questions Chuck: The color wheel was replaced by a TV technician first, but the "turning off the tv picture" symptoms occurred after that was replaced. I then replaced the lamp ordered via Amazon for $35 and it was a Philips (I agree with your comment). My existing lamp had >27,000 hours on it so I will probably need a new lamp this year anyway. I did put the old lamp in and it repeated the same new symptom - the picture was ok, and then it eventually turned off and the three lights flashed.

To update now: Last night I turned the tv completely around and took the back off, taped down the blue kill switch to watch and see what happens. I re-checked all the connections as suggested by pacofortacos. I used my multimeter to ck the ballast (suggested by knobby) and thankfully that was ok (but I know how to replace that in the future). Well, after 5 min, the picture went out, but I noticed just prior to that the color wheel stopped spinning. With that being said, I now think that the color wheel is defective (the new one). I just called the tv technician today to tell him that and he is ordering a new color wheel. I read on avs and samsung sites that if the color wheel rpms drop too low the lamp will turn off, and shut off the tv. I will let everyone know how this turns out over the next few days. Thanks for the great advice!!smile.gif
post #9 of 16 Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to tell if the TV technician has calibrated the color wheel? and is that important to do? I have read conflicting opinions on this on other sites.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

If it is off you will see it in the picture - the colors will be off. That will not cause the shutdown though.

Did the color wheel come as just the wheel or wheel and rpm sensor?
post #11 of 16 Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

The color wheel came with the wheel and the sensor.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 AM

I found a solution to the sound problem, which was causing popping and static sound from the speakers. This was also shutting down the audio after watching TV for some time. I place a heat sink on IC 987 part number stv8258DSX. This IC controls the sound and is overheating. The cause is unknown to me. Its easy to place a heat sink. Direction: cut the heat sink to size allowing room for a nylon nut. make as tall as possible. drill hole in center, but drilling only to its center, not through it.. Use nylon screw and nut (plastic). Insert the screw through the hole in the grill cover metal and than thread the nut to it. place the heat sink on top of the IC and place the grill cover back on aligning screw in the hole. (Don't forget to use thermo compound between the heat sink and IC). pull up on the screw while turning clockwise to tighten. I left the TV playing all night to the next morning and sound remain normal. I even turn on SRS sound mode.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Possible simple fix. Remove the lamp door and locate the door sensor, hold down the sensor arm completely then try to turn the TV on with the remote. If that works then try taping the lamp door sensor arm back. If not remove the sensor and test it. I read about some using a wire to bypass the sensor.

When it fails it will shut off the TV even when seated properly.

Remov
post #14 of 16 Old 05-12-2013, 09:30 AM

Can someone help. I replaced the color wheel on my Samsung HLR6167W and now the tv will not start. I hear the fans running. The lamp light on the front of the set flashes and then all three lights will continually flash until I unplug the set. Any suggestions.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM

I am having the same start problem with an HLN567W1X where after a couple of minuets the picture goes away. Pressing the power button on the remote has no response. After unplugging the TV and waiting a few minuets the TV will turn on again but shut off after a couple of minuets. Repeating this a few time and the TV will stay on. Shutting the TV off for the night and turning it on the next day and the same thing happens again. I now have it turned on for two days without shutting it off and it works fine. The picture is still gorgeous as it has been since I bought the TV in 2003. I would thing that if the color wheel or lamp circuit was having problems it would show up all the time not just when starting up.

PixelPretty, did you solve the problem with your TV?
post #16 of 16 Old 08-13-2013, 10:27 AM

Rick, did you ever resolve the problem with your HLN567W? I'm having the same symptom. In my case, new color wheel a couple years ago and original lamp. I see where many folks have replaced these and no improvement. I was hoping you found a solution since mine seems to do the same thing. Sometimes it will run a couple days, sometimes 5 min.

Thanks,

Stargeek
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page